Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MJD wants a long-term contract

I'd say give him a not so long term deal.  3 year deal takes him until he is 31 age.  That is about as far as we would want him. Give him some insentives bonuses and that should make him happy and hopefully give us a chance to draft a good replacement RB. Unless that happens this draft. Carlos Hyde OSU is in this draft class...

"What looks good on paper, doesn't always look good on the field. You must understand, comprehend, prepare, execute and give it your all on every play in the NFL. If not you don't belong here!"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM by rufftime.)

I don't care how long his contract is, provided the guaranteed money/ salary is relatively low.

He's approaching  30 and coming off his worse season of his career. (oline didn't help much)  If someone is dumb enough to give him a long term deal then don't let the door hit him on the way out.  If he does not want a "prove it"contract (incentive) then he does not deserve to be a part of this team

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

LET HIM GO... FREE UP SOME SPACE... BRING IN FRESH NEW LEGS.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I'm not worried about freeing up space for MJD.  He's not going to get a guaranteed money contract because he hasn't been able to stay healthy the last few years. And when he has been healthy he's been a shadow of his former self.  He's dreaming if he thinks he's getting a multiple year deal that isn't an incentive laden deal.

Hes a decent short yardage back and a good blocker. we need someone with homerun potential (and no.. Not todman or denard)
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I doubt Caldwell gives him enough to make him stick around.  Some GM will be foolish enough to overpay and he'll chase the money. 

If MJD is set on a long term deal..it will most likely not be with the JAGS.  At his age and recent health we would be crazy to give him much more than a 2 or 3 year deal.

If some team will give him a long term deal, more power to him. Get what you can, while you can.

If he does leave you know he will hell bent on proving the Jags wrong for not signing him .. It's in his nature. Also this is an off season where he won't be rehabbing. (LisFranc) He will be in top Shape next year!! Speed & Burst will be improved.
Cali got the Oranges ..Jacksonville got the Drew !!

Some of you guys are just delusionally pessimistic about this franchise. It's pathetic.

We wont see MJD in a jaguar jersey ever again folks. Lets get used to it. MJD will be offered a stop gap contract similar to Roy Miller. Maybe a couple mil per year.

I bet a different team is willing to pay more than that. Its smart by Dave as well. MJD wont be around when this team peaks, so why not see if you can find a possible long term contributor instead. 

Who cares?  There is no loyalty in football.  MJD can - and should - try to get as much money out of the NFL as possible.  The Jaguars are in complete rebuild mode so why would they keep an aging RB on the roster?  Time to move on and continue the youth movement. 

I see a three year deal, max., but not here.  Someone puts more money on the table than Caldwell is willing to and he jumps on it. 

Thanks for the memories.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

At his age, anything more than year-to-year would be "long term."

As long as whatever they might offer him is compensation for expected current and not past production.  Not big, not cheap, but fair.

The businessman in me expects him gone, but it would still be nice to have his face on the franchise for another year during the rebuild.  We did fine without Fred when he left, but it would have been nicer to see him finish here.  I'd like to see the same with MJD, but I don't expect it to happen because it's become so rare.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:At his age, anything more than year-to-year would be "long term."

As long as whatever they might offer him is compensation for expected current and not past production.  Not big, not cheap, but fair.

The businessman in me expects him gone, but it would still be nice to have his face on the franchise for another year during the rebuild.  We did fine without Fred when he left, but it would have been nicer to see him finish here.  I'd like to see the same with MJD, but I don't expect it to happen because it's become so rare.
I think it's gone from rare to extinct.  The last dinosaur died off Sunday.  Kind of sad isn't it?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:It's a business right? Shelf life of an NFL player (especially a running back) is short. Get every dollar you can.

Greg Jones didn't agree. That did him real good.

We can't always get what we want.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

1 year @ 3 million         

Quote:I doubt Caldwell gives him enough to make him stick around.  Some GM will be foolish enough to overpay and he'll chase the money. 

From the decisions Caldwell made last year with our (former) Vets, it clear he's not into overpaying if he see no value.  I doubt MJD honestly believes he's gonna get a long term deal.  With that said, MJD is too smart to give a home-town discount either.  

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  I really hope we can find a solution that keeps him a Jaguar.

Quote:We can't always get what we want.

But if we try sometimes, we'll find...  We get what we need.