Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should we extend Cecil Shorts contract in offseason?

Two years of good #2 performance. We can pay now or pay more later. He's not a #1, but he's easily serviceable as a #2

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 04:03 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Shorts is a zone-splitting slot receiver. Those are a dime a dozen and there's a bunch available in every round. We should feel free to draft WR at any time in the draft, provided the selection is deemed to be the best player available.

If you are really wild about slot receivers like Shorts, Wyoming WR Robert Herron is one name that comes to mind. He apparently times in the range of 4.28 to 4.49. He is being forecast as a 3rd to 4th rounder. His speed should increase his draft grade though. I suspect he could play in the Senior Bowl, maybe (looks like it)?

http://youtu.be/CDHrdSZwVug

Don't be surprised if you hear more about him at the Senior Bowl. Terrific hands to go with speed.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

[Image: Rottenecards_1599720_mr9nf9bbkd.png]

Quote:[Image: Rottenecards_1599720_mr9nf9bbkd.png]
Doing our best to be neither... are you in NYC??

Quote:Doing our best to be neither... are you in NYC??
I don't think Caldwell will be crazy or stupid about Cecil's contract - but I'm not so optimistic about a few of our resident posters and their posts.    :teehee:

Yes - I came to NYC from Jax 11 years ago. 

Quote:Shorts is a zone-splitting slot receiver. Those are a dime a dozen and there's a bunch available in every round. We should feel free to draft WR at any time in the draft, provided the selection is deemed to be the best player available.

If you are really wild about slot receivers like Shorts, Wyoming WR Robert Herron is one name that comes to mind. He apparently times in the range of 4.28 to 4.49. He is being forecast as a 3rd to 4th rounder. His speed should increase his draft grade though. I suspect he could play in the Senior Bowl, maybe (looks like it)?

http://youtu.be/CDHrdSZwVug

Don't be surprised if you hear more about him at the Senior Bowl. Terrific hands to go with speed.

I don't think this team is particularly talented enough and certainly not deep enough to act like just draft a WR "any time in the draft," is a plausible strategy.  I would argue that this has been Shorts worst year (maybe outside his first), when it conceivably should of been his best with Blackmon playing on the other side.  But unfortunately Blackmon isn't playing and Shorts has been the only weapon on this team and defenses have keyed him.  Yes, he's had some drops, some pretty awful drops, but I'm not sure that's who he is.  But look at what Wallace and Garcon commanded last season, WR's are overpaid.  If you can extend Shorts to a reasonable contract, what's to lose, you can always cut him if this team happens to get deep at WR.  I like Ace a lot, but in his role.  I expect Blackmon to be back, Shorts would be a great complement to those guys.  I would much rather see some QB's, 0-line, a line backer, and some d-line drafted before a WR. Not too mention a RB. And when I say o-Line I mean like a center and two guards, that doesn't leave a lot of draft picks around to pick up some could or could not be WR.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Lucky you!! You are in the best place on earth!

Wow, I am almost stunned at the responses to this thread. I expected to see all "sign him now!", "he's a HOF WR!", "he's the best WR in the AFC!" and, of course,  "you're (or your..lol) a moron!" comments and instead got pretty much all measured, thought out responses.

Is this just a collection of the most rational posters or is the world coming to an end? Even the word "complement" was deployed correctly.

Something's happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

On topic so I don't get warned: I agree with the middle of the roaders, he hasn't proved much yet, just a cut above the dime-a-dozens, IMO.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Quote:Watch, we'll extended him early this year, then he'll end up like mike thomas and be completely worthless after the contract. 
I don't think this front office will rush to extend him.  They'll get a deal done when the time is right.  But, with the precarious situation we have at receiver with Blackmon and his issues, I don't see this team letting their most productive receiver over the past couple of seasons walk in free agency unless they find someone in this draft or via free agency who is a viable replacement. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I don't think this front office will rush to extend him.  They'll get a deal done when the time is right.  But, with the precarious situation we have at receiver with Blackmon and his issues, I don't see this team letting their most productive receiver over the past couple of seasons walk in free agency unless they find someone in this draft or via free agency who is a viable replacement. 

Thats a nice PC answer, but what do you think about Cecil Shorts?

I think he's okay....definitely plays better when Blackmon is there than not, wheras Blackmon plays well independently. 

If they sign Shorts to a reasonable deal I'll be happy but I won't lose any sleep if they trade him. 

Quote:Thats a nice PC answer, but what do you think about Cecil Shorts?

I think he's okay....definitely plays better when Blackmon is there than not, wheras Blackmon plays well independently. 

If they sign Shorts to a reasonable deal I'll be happy but I won't lose any sleep if they trade him. 
Shorts is a #2.  I know this may be something you think is rocket science, but it's not.  He's not your #1 receiver, but he is a guy who can give you production.  I don't see anyone thinking otherwise, and I don't see anyone saying we should break the bank to sign him to some blockbuster deal. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Shorts is a #2.  I know this may be something you think is rocket science, but it's not.  He's not your #1 receiver, but he is a guy who can give you production.  I don't see anyone thinking otherwise, and I don't see anyone saying we should break the bank to sign him to some blockbuster deal. 

I agree, Shorts is #2

He's a good 2. Won't draw any double teams unless Blackmon is out. Doesn't matter whether we resign him, but I still look forward to the Blaackmon/Cecil/Ace grouping.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 10:25 AM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:No, he's supposed to get suspended...then we trade him.
Take the 7th round draft pick without argueing.. lol

no they will keep him but most likely give him the highest paid salary and then he'll get suspended or play like Lewis did after he got paid.. sarcasm isnt fun anymore when the team keeps losing..

I thought the 4 wins would get the media from stop making fun of us, but it turns out teams like the Texans fire their HC to losing to such a bad team as us... and the jokes continue.. hopefully a win this week might give us a break from the jokes..

This team should absolutely extend Cecil; he's a good #2 with solid production in a horrific passing offense. Ideally I'd love to see this team draft or sign a more physically imposing receiver to play on the outside opposite of Justin (if he gets his act together), that would move Cecil to the slot where he would torture opposing defenses with option routes, similar to what the Giants do with Victor Cruz.. CSIII is a young talented player without any significant injury or off the field issues; those are the type of guys you keep.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 10:26 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Only accept a 7th round draft pick no matter how high they try to offer us.

Nah, the 4th + a 5th is the standard offer that Caldwell accepts. He's like the satirical Mike Brady character in one of the Brady parody movies in the 1990's when every design Mike (architect) was asked to create turned out as the exact same thing, like their house Laughing

Cecil is a good #2. Right now, he's having a problem with drops. If that were to continue, I don't see the Jaguars extending his contract. This upcoming draft is strong at WR, so I wouldn't be shocked to see us pick one. Mainly because Blackmon shouldn't be counted on right now to get himself in order.

With the emergence of Ace, Shorts might become expendable.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Why is anyone even worried about this at this point.

Or better yet... at all?

Let the GMs have the headaches of doing all that stuff.

First, I'm sure we'd like to know the status of Blackmon. Without Blackmon, Shorts is a lil more valuable to the receiving corp.

Second, I am sure the team will continue to add pieces and parts. And likely be looking at the progress of WRs Sanders and Brown.

What Caldwell won't do, I am sure of, is jump on extending this guy before he has to.

To anyone discrediting how good of a WR Shorts is. He has come close to, and may this year, eclipse 1000 yards. With the likes of Gabbert and Henne throwing to him.

He's pretty good.... but I'm not sure he will be aiming for elite #1 WR money.
 Why do we discuss the players? Let the players be concerned with how theyre playing.

Why talk about the coaches? Let the coaches worry about the gameplan.

Why talk about the Jaguars? Let the team talk about themselves.

Why does this message board exist????

Why extend him this year when we can get one more year on a cheap contract out of him? He hasnt played well enough to hold out, so extend him halfway through the season or even after next year.

I wouldn't mind locking Cecil up with something like  a 4-yr  $5M/yr with $5M bonus contract. For me, he's shown enough talent to warrant that kind of money, and his work ethic has given me enough confidence to pay early, but pay less.

Mike Thomas' downfall was that he didn't care about being good, and didn't put the work in.

I'm using Garcon's 5 yr $42M, $11M bonus, contract last year as reference.