Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should we extend Cecil Shorts contract in offseason?

Cecil is going to enter the final year of his rookie contract next year. What kind of offer should he get in the offseason? Or do we just use a tender offer after next season?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't think he is worth extending. I am sure he will leave for greener pastures.

Cut him. He's way to valuable to this organisation and receiving corps. No need for him to be here any longer.. too good of a receiver..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

He'll get an extension.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Wait, I thought we were supposed to trade him.  

I was just thinking about this earlier today.  The basic assumption is he will be resigned.  The big question is at which price will he be signed.  FBT says he will get an extension, but will it be an extension or a new contract.  I am thinking he will get a new contract or do they call those extensions if done before their contract is up?

Who would we compare Shorts to in the nfl who has been given a contract/extension recently.  I like Shorts but he does drop some balls, however I think with better QB play he would put up bigger numbers on some long balls. 

I definitely hope we will keep Cecil with a fair offer this offseason he has been our best receiver going on two seasons now.  I think the numbers will be interesting and probably will be discussed ad nauseum this offseason.

Quote:Wait, I thought we were supposed to trade him.  

No, he's supposed to get suspended...then we trade him.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Watch, we'll extended him early this year, then he'll end up like mike thomas and be completely worthless after the contract. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

shorts will probably get a new deal sometime during next season.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

See what Golden Tate gets this offseason. He's a free agent.

He's in year 3 of a favorable 4 year rookie deal. I don't get the sense this management wants to get into a habit of re-doing contracts. If he plays well next season, he'll get rewarded. I really like Shorts, but am not convinced as yet that he is and should be paid as a number 1 elite guy. I am sure is agent will try to make the case.

I think we wait to see how he's playing during the season. If he's having a good year, I think we try to lock him up for another 2-3 years. If he is just having a "meh" year, I think we wait til the off season and let him test FA.

We'll wait and trade him for a 4th rounder.

Quote:He's in year 3 of a favorable 4 year rookie deal. I don't get the sense this management wants to get into a habit of re-doing contracts. If he plays well next season, he'll get rewarded. I really like Shorts, but am not convinced as yet that he is and should be paid as a number 1 elite guy. I am sure is agent will try to make the case.
I am convinced that he absolutely should not be paid that way. If he is, I'd prefer that comp pick.

Why is anyone even worried about this at this point.

Or better yet... at all?

Let the GMs have the headaches of doing all that stuff.

First, I'm sure we'd like to know the status of Blackmon. Without Blackmon, Shorts is a lil more valuable to the receiving corp.

Second, I am sure the team will continue to add pieces and parts. And likely be looking at the progress of WRs Sanders and Brown.

What Caldwell won't do, I am sure of, is jump on extending this guy before he has to.

To anyone discrediting how good of a WR Shorts is. He has come close to, and may this year, eclipse 1000 yards. With the likes of Gabbert and Henne throwing to him.

He's pretty good.... but I'm not sure he will be aiming for elite #1 WR money.

Quote: 

What Caldwell won't do, I am sure of, is jump on extending this guy before he has to.

I agree.  I see Caldwell as the type of guy that is more likely to just give the players he values verbal assurances that the deal will come when it's time to do it. 

I don't think it should be a priority to resign shorts.  i rather pay top 5 or top 10 money at another position.

If he plays well next season he'll get the chance at a decent new deal.  He still has one year remaining and I expect him to play like it next season and earn a new deal.

Let him earn it.  If he stays healthy and is producing, then sign him to an extension next year.

I'd guess we will see what he does this next season before we jump the gun on a new contract/extension. He's had concussion and hammy(?) concerns. If he plays great and healthy next year then he clearly deserves it. I really like Shorts. After digging around teams practice squads for years with guys like Hill and Chastin West, it's refreshing to have Shorts and Blackmon on the team. .if Blackmon can put down the bottle
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."