Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
You think Blackmon is chomping at the bit to get back, or what?

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 09:38 PM by jaguarmvp.)

I like Shorts but he's like Blackmons lil brother on the field.  Blackmon was by far our best player when he was on the field.  The best ability is availability.  It's too bad his talent does not mean much when he is suspended on a regular basis.

We have heard his empty promises and his empty apologies.  This maybe his last chance in the NFL period when he does get reinstated. If Blackmon does mess up again it maybe a permanent ban.

The main issue I have is understanding the issue.  Is Blackmon an addict or plain stupid? 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

The main issue I have is understanding the issue.  Is Blackmon an addict or plain stupid? 

Well, if indeed it has played out like I have described in my posts in this thread then I don't think it is a case of "being stupid". Its awful hard to remain totally alcohol free in an environment such as he's in, with all of his teammate buddies being able to and alcohol being  a social thing. As said, I probably couldn't do it, so I'm certainly not going to sit here and pass judgment on Blackmon for it. 

I had to actually look at our schedule to remember exactly when 14 got suspended.  Honestly, I can't believe we were 0-8 and in the bye week when the individual got suspended!  It seems like a season ago when the individual got suspended.  

The team has turned the corner without 14, the team seems to be progressing just fine without that individual.

If 14 comes back that will be OK with me.  Obviously, that individual will be given another chance.  14 would have been released or traded if the Jaguars had given up on the individual.  

But it's clear we have much better WRs on the roster.  CSIII & ACE are money.  Heck even Mike Brown stepped up and looked legit last night in spots.  

14 is 14.  But I'm not gonna give that individual any run until it is earned.  So far 14 hasn't.  

There are probably alot of other talented players that would sacrifice alot more to wear that particular number than the current individual that owns it for now...

Quote:If he comes back and plays well, great. If not, next up.

Keep winning Jags.

Cheer the name on the front on the jersey, not the back. Wink
Amen..

Hopefully he's not chomping on that bottle of fire water either..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Blackmon and Josh Gordon should exchange numbers.

The truth is Justin Blackmon doesn't even drink.  He's playing along with the tanking charade that is rampant in the Jaguars' front office.  I'm ashamed to say it, but Justin took the hush money.

Blackmon is a luxury at this point, not a piece of the puzzle.

If he's here, great, if not, okay then. 

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Blackmon is a luxury at this point, not a piece of the puzzle.

If he's here, great, if not, okay then. 

I agree.  I think this is the only way we can look at it right now.  I don't know how anyone could have confidence that he'll get it together.  If he does, that will be pure bonus, not anything to plan on.

Quote:Then thats going to be a really hard one to remain completely and totally clean of. As said, I don't think I could do it,....and I don't even have a alcohol problem.
Totally agree

That insight into the NFL substances abuse programme I think it was by the colts punter? Was a real eye opener to me

I would find it impossible and think its frankly unreasonable that being said millions of dollars would help soften the blow

Its on him now but I have very little hope

If we were talking about Matt Jones, I'd say something like seeing the team turn around would help, but Blackmon never had a problem with motivation and has never looked like he was anything less than 100% committed on the field.

To play amateur psychologist for a moment, it wouldn't surprise me if football was the thing that made most sense in his life if he was struggling with a substance problem and the loss of that is going to hit hard whether the team is winning or not.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

I have often wondered what he was thinking while watching the Jags turn the corner. It has got to be killing him. I mean his WHOLE life has been DEFINED by football. Who is he without it? When he was suspended the first time, he was chomping it to bits and training like an [BLEEP] on his own. When he came back, he was physically a new man. Michael Irvin had a message for him to think about his life 15 years from now and having regret for the rest of your life. This is a problem that must be dealt with one day at a time. He will either fail or maybe this suspension will be the motivation to be the best he can be. Stay tuned. Also, don't think that losing him won't put us back. He was a top 1st round draft pick. The defense has to account for him every time he's on the field. He makes Henne better. He makes Shorts, Saunders, Brown and Lewis better.

Quote:I agree with you that at this point its Blackmon's job to earn back, and I think that Bradley will handle it in that manner. 

I'm just curious what he's thinking at this point as the team is showing some real promise. Blackmon rarely lost games in college, so going 2-18 over his first 20 here might have contributed to his issues. Or maybe not....

I think it's a small part of the equation.  This team being successful would have helped him I'm sure but he has a problem.  He shouldn't be focused o the team until he can get his personal problems sorted out.  I hope he takes this off time to get all the help he needs before he worries about coming back to the team.  I'm sure he's watching and would love to be back out on the field with the team but he has a long road ahead of him before he will have a chance to do that.  Blackmon determines his fate.  He will have the opportunity to earn his spot back but it's on him to make it happen.  I hope we see that happen and he is able to get the help.  I would love to see him straighten out and be a longterm part of the team.

The question of what really got him tossed is still in the air.

As one of the posters above said.....he played while on the field, did it take drinking to perform like that?

I've seen functional alcoholics before but I can't imagine one performing at that level.

AS TMD said though, alcoholism is a huge bear on your back. I've had an employee that just can't stay away from it.

I gave him three strikes but it didn't matter. He's washing dishes now for 6.00 an hour less.

He was a real Jekyll and Hyde  too. Best guy you ever been around when sober....but watch out when he's wasted.

Mind totally scattered, mean for a while, funny for a while....you never know which guy would show.

But the fact is..he just ,can't quit his drinking.

Lately, I saw a news report where genetic researches found a gene that can cause mice to prefer alcohol over water itself.

Could explain a lot how alcoholism and addictions runs in familes.

in any rate, its hard to interpret exactly what got him bounced...I do hope its something he can easily beat. if its more serious.....

I hope he has the fortitude to come back, he'll be one of the few if he does.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:The question of what really got him tossed is still in the air.

As one of the posters above said.....he played while on the field, did it take drinking to perform like that?

I've seen functional alcoholics before but I can't imagine one performing at that level.

I really think it's as simple as smoking some weed.  It is actually used widely among NFL players.  Blackmon was already on an increased testing protocol - so it was a really stupid gamble for him to think he could get away with it.   

The other possibility is opiate based scrip meds.  (Vicodin, percocet  etc.)  Athletes  get legit scrips when injured and sometimes get hooked.  Getting hooked on opiates after a legit scrip is quite common. 

I think it's one of those things.  The alcohol history just tells us he has an addictive personality - so either of those things present a real problem. 

Quote:Things are vastly different for the Jags right now from Blackmon's last game.....at that time they were 0-8 and there was little hope as they were routinely losing games by double digits. Fast forward five weeks later and the Jags have gone 4-1 and look like they are really having fun out there. I wonder how Blackmon's view of this team (going forward) has changed (if at all) during this time off that he has. Has anyone interviewed Blackmon since the suspension? Or are they even allowed to? I am hopeful that he sees whats going on with the team and it really helps to give him something to look forward to and that he sees that perhaps with a healthy focused clean Blackmon, that this team could be that much closer to a consistent winning team. 

What could Blackmon possibly say that is interesting to anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JXUA8oFWCc

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM by Mowerguy.)

"I'm really truly sorry? I'll beat this and earn my way back".....without it scripted by his agent.

Not defending him, but there are a lot of disappointed fans to see our first round go down like this.

On another note....Should we try to pick this guy up in 2016? Tall 6'6" 225 lb receiver Beckham had a great game against auburn.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/play...en-beckham

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I'm finished with him.  

Nothing but a distraction at this point..

Don't even want him on or around the team.

I supported his second chance, now I support him being shown the door.

Quote: 

He's plain stupid.  He may or may not be also addicted to alcohol and/or drugs.  If he is addicted to alcohol, that just makes him even dumber.  He was drunk when he got stopped, not when he had the first drink.  If you KNOW you've got a problem and you're still not smart enough to safeguard yourself (and others) by making transportation arrangements before you start, you're an idiot.  It's not like he couldn't afford a taxi!

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:"I'm really truly sorry? I'll beat this and earn my way back".....without it scripted by his agent.

Not defending him, but there are a lot of disappointed fans to see our first round go down like this.

On another note....Should we try to pick this guy up in 2016? Tall 6'6" 225 lb receiver Beckham had a great game against auburn.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/play...en-beckham

God, I wish we had Josh Gordon.

Somebody can shed more light on this than me but the NFL has a program where players can obtain alternative transportation, likely at no cost, anywhere in the country to protect them from this stuff. There's no excuse.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile