Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An area of need greater than QB

Lol there is a reason QBs are paid the most. WAAAAAY more important that the Oline. Henne or Gabbert could have the 49ers line and they would still suck.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My guess is the OL will be an area of focus for the team in free agency.  This is especially true if they're drafting what they deem to be the franchise QB.  They'll want to protect him, and hoping a few undrafted guys or even draft picks can step in immediately and create the kind of line that will be sufficient to allow a rookie to develop seems unlikely.  So, look for the guard and center positions to be a real focus this coming off season in free agency.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Lol there is a reason QBs are paid the most. WAAAAAY more important that the Oline. Henne or Gabbert could have the 49ers line and they would still suck.
so does kraepernick and hes been terrible, he has had gabbert-esque statlines lol

Another thread here made the point that these running/scrambling/mobile quarterbacks soon get figured out by the planners and get shut down or worse, hurt.

Its one thing to be elusive and pass the ball and quite another to hang on to it ,try to run and get creamed by the raptor known as a line backer.

Yes we need a quarterback but we also need one with "game smarts" that can stay in the pocket area and get the ball to a receiver

who might only be open for a fraction of a second.

Sometimes its mind boggling how fast the pro game is and any qb we draft better have the game smarts today's game demands.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:The offensive line.  Just terrible against the run and the pass.  This team is averaging a little over 2 yards a carry for the whole season.  I don't care how good your QB is, this is going to make us lose many more games.  You got to have balance and you got to be able to run the ball in the redzone.

Looking at the game again, this offensive line maybe the worse one in franchise history.  0 running lanes and very little pass protection.

well....i was here when we drafted Monroe...HATED IT. When we drafted Britton...HATED IN. and folks were saying "you build from the inside-out" and were happy we did that. saying we "just solidifed our tackles for 10+ seasons" lol. im sure those same GENIUS folks will deny every saying those things.....but we dont need to go that route again. Just look at your top 5 QBs in the league and find out where their line was drafted. a QB will ALWAYS make his line look better than it is. Prime example: PRE-Manning in Denver....folks were crying saying it's the -line fault Tebow couldnt do anything. Orton never panned out. etc....SAME LINE....ADD Manning....he didnt get TOUCHED last week vs the best Front 7 in the NFL! we need a QB more than anything. For all i care..we can draft a QB and start from scratch at every other position. Caldwell has a lot of picks lined up...he can find some good talent with those picks. the question is...WILL he?

Quote:If a few hits can "kill a rookie Qb's confidence", he probably isn't the answer.
Ding ding ding. This is my response everytime someone says "you're going to ruin a young qb" by putting him behind a bad line, having a qb controversy etc. If he can't rise above those challenges, you don't want him to begin with.

Quote:If a few hits can "kill a rookie Qb's confidence", he probably isn't the answer.

I think we've already done this and found it out for the last three years.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

QB is always the number 1 need until you get one, they are they most important and hardest to find. 

But yes OL is our second most important need, even above a pass rusher IMO. Our current line cant run block or pass block. It causes the whole offense to not be able to function. 

Pass rusher is a very very close 3rd. 

#Tank4JakeMatthews

Do it! Its going to happen..... Ninja
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:#Tank4JakeMatthews

Do it! Its going to happen..... Ninja
If that is the case we definitely need to trade back into the 1st and get Manziel

Quote:Lol there is a reason QBs are paid the most. WAAAAAY more important that the Oline. Henne or Gabbert could have the 49ers line and they would still suck.
I agree with that.

On the other hand,  I would like to know how kapernick wouuld do behind center for the current Jaguars.  He would be better than old gabbert and henne but would be struggling big time.   This team has 0 threat of a running game or a deep threat

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:If that is the case we definitely need to trade back into the 1st and get Manziel

Manziel, Joeckel and Matthews.

Caldwell has a plan....an evil plan.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I totally agree the Jaguars need to upgrade their O-Line.  Would love Dave Caldwell to sign the top free agents to fill our Center and Guard positions.  The Jaguars have the salary cap space to pay the established lineman.

Use the draft for a QB round 1 and the best DE in round 2

Quote:Manziel, Joeckel and Matthews.

Caldwell has a plan....an evil plan.
and if we somehow get mike evans also, such an evil plan indeed.

Look, we're bringing back like 3 players on the starting offense next year.  Changes will be sweeping and unprecedented.  

Gene's Myth

I did hear Joeckle saying something about using his time off to increase his upper body strength.  If he can solidify the LT position that is a huge building block for the future.  When the teams rushing  average is less than 3 yards there is a huge problem. 

I also agree the QB position is in dire straights.  There is no fear of any of our QB's beating a team deep. Poor decision making combined with poor accuracy is just the start.  This area has to be addressed as well.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I think we've already done this and found it out for the last three years.

Wait. You talking about Gabbert? He was skittish in the pocket at Missouri.

;

;

Quote:Who would you like to see at the QB position, Shack? Give me a name.

Word to the wise - off topic posts are considered trolling and will result in an increase of one's warning level.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Not advocating for the offensive line being a more dire need than quarterback but...

David Carr.

Who wants to argue against the fact that he had all the tools and simply got pounded into the ground year after year after year? Sacked 262 times over the course of 5 years in Houston. Not saying he'd have been a star, but does anyone really want to argue the sacks as not having played a role?

Then again, I'll go on and say it, Joey Harrington was only sacked 77 times in 4 years with Detroit and... Well... I'd still take Carr. Lol.

We need a lot. That's the consensus. Give me a healthy line next year with at 1-2 hopeful improved pickups (be it FA or draft), and I'll take the rookie quarterback. Inserting our future-star (hopefully) LT back into the lineup will allow for some rearranging and hopeful improvements. I'm full of hope...

You could have the greatest offensive line in history, with each player on it becoming a future hall of famer and our current list of superstar qbs would still only be average at best.