Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cecil showing some frustration

It would help immensely if Shorts had an extra gear.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

According to Sporting Charts, Cecil is tied for the lead in terms of "dropped" passes this season, with 7. He's "dropping" 7.7% of the balls tossed his way, and catching just 52.7% of all balls tossed to him. He's been targeted the 8th most of all receivers (including tight ends and halfbacks) in the NFL with 91 targets, of which he's caught 48. Of the receivers in the NFL who rank in the top 30 for most targets this year, only 3 catch a lower percentage of balls thrown their way than Cecil;

1. VJax who has "dropped" 4 passes in 102 targets, but only catches 45.1% of balls thrown to him, for a total of 46 receptions, while "dropping" 3.9%,

2. Torrey Smith who has "dropped" 2 passes in 83 attempts, catching 49.4% of balls thrown to him, for a total of 41 receptions, while "dropping" 2.4%, and

3. Stevie Johnson who has "dropped" 5 passes in 79 targets, catching 51.9% of balls thrown to him, for a total of 41 receptions, while "dropping" 6.3%.

Source: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Note: I put quotations around drops, because as has been discussed on this board many times before its tough to subjectively define "drops." However, that said, I think Cecil's inability to catch balls thrown to him consistently, something he struggled with last year as well, speaks just as loudly to the type of play Cecil's been providing even if you want to completely ignore the "drops" due to subjectivity issues.

I'm not entirely sure what Cecil's issue is. Its not like he's been putting up the numbers to back up these types of demands for the ball. Catch the ball and it'll get thrown to you.  :confused: 

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:According to Sporting Charts, Cecil is tied for the lead in terms of "dropped" passes this season, with 7. He's "dropping" 7.7% of the balls tossed his way, and catching just 52.7% of all balls tossed to him. He's been targeted the 8th most of all receivers (including tight ends and halfbacks) in the NFL with 91 targets, of which he's caught 48. Of the receivers in the NFL who rank in the top 30 for most targets this year, only 3 catch a lower percentage of balls thrown their way than Cecil;

1. VJax who has "dropped" 4 passes in 102 targets, but only catches 45.1% of balls thrown to him, for a total of 46 receptions, while "dropping" 3.9%,

2. Torrey Smith who has "dropped" 2 passes in 83 attempts, catching 49.4% of balls thrown to him, for a total of 41 receptions, while "dropping" 2.4%, and

3. Stevie Johnson who has "dropped" 5 passes in 79 targets, catching 51.9% of balls thrown to him, for a total of 41 receptions, while "dropping" 6.3%.

Note: I put quotations around drops, because as has been discussed on this board many times before its tough to subjectively define "drops." However, that said, I think Cecil's inability to catch balls thrown to him consistently, something he struggled with last year as well, speaks just as loudly to the type of play Cecil's been providing even if you want to completely ignore the "drops" due to subjectivity issues.

I'm not entirely sure what Cecil's issue is. Its not like he's been putting up the numbers to back up these types of demands for the ball. Catch the ball and it'll get thrown to you.  :confused:

Nice post. But you also need to consider that horrible thrown passes by each of these teams QBs contribute significantly for the poor percentage of targets to catches. 

Cecil is a decent receiver. A decent starter that benefits (like all people) from a true #1. He isn't good enough to dominate a good #1 CB.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Reminds me of Sims-Walker. Below average receiver that people around here think is good.

Quote:According to Sporting Charts, Cecil is tied for the lead in terms of "dropped" passes this season, with 7. He's "dropping" 7.7% of the balls tossed his way, and catching just 52.7% of all balls tossed to him. He's been targeted the 8th most of all receivers (including tight ends and halfbacks) in the NFL with 91 targets, of which he's caught 48. Of the receivers in the NFL who rank in the top 30 for most targets this year, only 3 catch a lower percentage of balls thrown their way than Cecil;

7.7% drop rate isn't bad at all.  It's tied with Wes Welker for percentage, who has Peyton Manning throwing to him.  Welker has just seen less targets, but has had 6 drops.  Eric Decker has fewer attempts, but also has 7 drops.

You also have to consider that 'targets' doesn't mean the ball is catchable.  

Even the website says there are other factors to take into consideration with drops -- and that it's not always on the WR.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:7.7% drop rate isn't bad at all.  It's tied with Wes Welker for percentage, who has Peyton Manning throwing to him.  Welker has just seen less targets, but has had 6 drops.  Eric Decker has fewer attempts, but also has 7 drops.

Even the website says there are other factors to take into consideration with drops -- and that it's not always on the WR.
I remember people used to defend MSW like this too. Isn't he working ay a carwash now?

Quote:I remember people used to defend MSW like this too. Isn't he working ay a carwash now?

You must think if Some X are Y, and Some Y are Z, if it's X it must be Z.

This line of thinking doesn't even make any sense.   "X was defended this way!  Y is being defended this way too!  And X turned out to not be any good, so Y isn't any good either!" 

That's a logical fallacy if I've ever seen one.  The same defense used on two players does not imply that both players will end up with the same results. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:You must think if Some X are Y, and Some Y are Z, if it's X it must be Z.

This line of thinking doesn't even make any sense.   "X was defended this way!  Y is being defended this way too!  And X turned out to not be any good, so Y isn't any good either!" 

That's a logical fallacy if I've ever seen one.  The same defense used on two players does not imply that both players will end up with the same results. 

Maybe Shorts has fancy rims on his car. StroudCrowd1 can't stand those.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Reminds me of Sims-Walker. Below average receiver that people around here think is good.

There's a point where this has to stop and calling Cecil Shorts below average is clearly past it.

Average at the very worst.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Shorts is a good number 2

"I just know we need to win." - Coach Jack Del Rio

Quote:Nice post. But you also need to consider that horrible thrown passes by each of these teams QBs contribute significantly for the poor percentage of targets to catches. 

Oh, I definitely took into consideration the QB's throwing. Of the 4 I listed, the only one with a consistently decent QB was Torrey Smith, and even Flacco's looked shakey this season. That was kind of part of the point; Cecil's been demanding like he's an elite receiver for a decent part of the season, but his production is more in line with above average guys like VJax, Torrey, and Stevie. They can be great when they have great QB's, but they're not the types of guys who are going to consistently bail out their QB's and make everyone look better, like say a Megatron or a Fitz from a few years ago, where you could just toss the ball up and generally your guy would come down with it. The issue is, that the Jags QB situation is in a state of flux, to put it nicely, and Cecil isn't the type of receiver who is going to bail out whoever's playing QB consistently. With teams shifting their focus onto Cecil, I can see why Henne might be looking else where for someone with a more favorable matchup.

Cecil's demands for the ball would have more merit, in my opinion, if he was able to take the best the other team had to offer and consistently bail out his poor QB's.

Quote:7.7% drop rate isn't bad at all.  It's tied with Wes Welker for percentage, who has Peyton Manning throwing to him.  Welker has just seen less targets, but has had 6 drops.  Eric Decker has fewer attempts, but also has 7 drops.

Welker's an interesting receiver. He's on pace for a pretty substandard year for himself, in terms of the "drops" as defined by Sporting Charts. Though, he's had struggles with "drops" before. Last year he had a 5.7% drop rate, and in 2010 he led the league in drops and had a 10.6% drop rate. That said, in 2011 he had a 2.9% drop rate, in 2009 it was 3.7%, in 2008 it was 2.7%, in 2007 it was 2.8%, in 2006 it was 4.0%, and then the sample size starts getting too low (3.9% drop percentage in 2006 on 52 targets, giving him 2 drops and 29 receptions). So, I'm hesitant to say that 7.7% "isn't bad at all" and I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near saying "7.7% is what I strive for in my receivers who are demanding to be gameplanned around." But, I guess that's personal preference. :confused:

I think I'd like to say Shorts is better than Decker, so what Decker's doing with drops isn't entirely relevant to my analysis of Cecil. Though, that is obviously entirely debatable, but let's just put on our teal sunglasses here so I don't need to do any more research or long winded posts. Please? :thumbsup:

As far as the balls not being catchable, I imagine a good amount of the balls thrown Cecil's way aren't "catchable." I'm certainly not trying to pass these 2 posts off as indicating Cecil's playing with all-star QB's and not producing. I'm well aware of the fact that Henne and Gabbert aren't the easiest to catch balls from. I just feel like if a guy who is in the top 10 for most targeted receivers in the league is going to start demanding the ball, he should show more of an ability to catch uncatchable balls and bail his QB's out. Cecil hasn't shown that he can do that consistently in his career, so, I don't know why he thinks he deserves the ball if the other team's focusing their defense on him. If there's someone else open or if there's someone to whom the QB can make a safer throw to over Cecil, I don't have an issue with the QB throwing it that way. Until Cecil starts making an impact on games, regardless of who's playing QB, he should stay quiet and put the work in to become more of a force. Henne's completed 146 passes this year, excluding today's game, so its not like they've got a mailbox playing QB. The guy can sometimes put the ball in places for his receivers to catch them; Cecil needs to do a better job making the tough catches (and the easy catches, as I know he dropped a decent amount of easy balls earlier this year) before he starts acting like he's entitled to more passes, which knowing who's playing QB will probably be poorly thrown.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

The short dump-off passes has got to be a result from the lack of o-line protection. I mean, as a WR, you got to have Usain Bolt straight-line speed to be able to be at least 20-30 yds from the LOS after the ball is snapped. 

Not defending Henne or the OC, cus he could probably roll out and do something to buy some time to let the receivers get further up field and give them a chance to make a move against the defender

Things will change next year

meh I'd be worried if he wasn't frustrated, the play calling sucks, the execution is worse, frustrating year, I hear you CS3 hang in there.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Honestly, I'm okay with it. He wants to be good. He is a competitor. And he should get more targets. Since he is our best offensive weapon.

Quote:meh I'd be worried if he wasn't frustrated, the play calling sucks, the execution is worse, frustrating year, I hear you CS3 hang in there.

This. Now I'm starting to agree with you. What is going on?

Quote:I remember people used to defend MSW like this too. Isn't he working ay a carwash now?

Aren't you the same guy who used to complain about Sims-Walker having rims on his car? Seriously, did he steal your girlfriend or something?

;

;

How can anyone be down on him for being frustrated? The guy works his tail off to be good at what he does and has experienced a 3-23 record the past two seasons. He may not be an "elite" WR, but he is a good one. Hopefully Blackmon returns next year and stays clean. Teddy throwing to Blackmon, Shorts, Ace, and Brown will result in many happy locker room faces.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013, 06:35 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Shorts needs to shut up. He's a whining cancer in the locker room.

He never earned the starting job. He had it given to him by former GM Gene Smith. Some took the Jason Hill and Johnny Cox fiasco for granted. Some took the Mike Thomas trade as a good thing.

Others, clearly more knowledgeable, saw this as a bad sign. Rather than earn the top wide receiving job, Shorts III did what a locker room cancer will do...whine like a big baby to the GM in order to get a roster depth move.

Shorts III has stepped all over team mates with his mouth. He kept the number one job just long enough to get the snot knocked out of him and he spent weeks in la-la land. Then as the number two, he got the snot knocked out of him again for concussion number two.

Shorts III is nothing more than a small school zone-splitting slot receiver. He has no business whining to the coaches. He has more than proven he is incapable of being a number one OR number two wide receiver in the NFL. For most of this year, he's been the number one receiver by default. He is incapable of handling it.

The pro game at wide receiver is played in the upright position. Forget about speed. Forget about crafty moves. Players like Shorts III fail because they lack physicality. NFL WRs can't run around the bump and run the way it's possible in college. College does not employ bump and run so even players like Blackmon will have to learn how to play the upright game. Shorts is the wrong kind of football player to play the outside role. 

If he wants to whine all day it ain't gonna help him. He's not outside receiver material because NFL DBs hit you and smother you all day long. Yet, put the ball on his body, and Shorts III is gonna get a concussion. Whereas, NFL number one and number two receivers possess the size and body strength to handle the bump and walk away from the upright contact every time unfazed.

Shorts needs to shut up and sink back into the slot position.

It is what it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNNqG13I9U

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif