Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
'Whisky and 15 cigarettes a day is the secret of my good health'

Quote:I was born with improperly functioning lungs. Sorry if I don't particularly like the idea of someone attributing their good health to something that is proven to destroy perfectly functioning lungs. I'd love to be able to be more active than I am but it's difficult to do so because of my asthma. So sorry if I'm a little disgusted at someone who willingly inhales toxins that normally destroy lungs and then goes on to promote them as being good for her health.

I have perspective, it's just not the same as yours.
A person inhales toxins willingly or unwillingly every day of their lives... some more than others depending on where they live or work... stepping outside and taking a breath of fresh air is not as healthy as one might think...

I see your point... there's not to many people that lives to be her age reguardless of what they choose to do to their bodies...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I was born with improperly functioning lungs. Sorry if I don't particularly like the idea of someone attributing their good health to something that is proven to destroy perfectly functioning lungs. I'd love to be able to be more active than I am but it's difficult to do so because of my asthma. So sorry if I'm a little disgusted at someone who willingly inhales toxins that normally destroy lungs and then goes on to promote them as being good for her health.

I have perspective, it's just not the same as yours.

As long as she attributes smoking to only her longevity then no harm done.

Quote:Just curious, how many people have you known who had lung cancer?  I'm 58 years old and I've known 2. One was my mother who died at 77 and the other was my mother-in-law who died at 87.

Regards..............the Chiefjag

My paternal grandfather had lung cancer, and died at age 65. He also had emphysema and was living with one of his lungs partially removed. I have one vivid memory of sitting between him and my dad in a car, and my grandfather asked my dad for a cigarette, My dad told him he wasn't supposed to be smoking. My grandfather's reply was "I didn't raise you to tell me no, boy." My dad was at least 30 at the time.  My grandfather died soon after suffering a coughing fit in the middle of an intersection of two country highways and a woman driving a Chrysler Imperial, distracted while looking for change she had dropped, T-boned my grandfather's Ford.

His eldest son, my uncle, had emphysema and heart disease when he died. A college football coach and larger than life figure, he was a shell of his former self as he pushed around an oxygen cannister during the last years of his life.

My maternal grandfather chain smoked Pall Mall reds (filterless) for years and quit cold turkey after receiving a diagnosis of emphysema a few years before his death. The partial pack of Pall Malls that was left when he quit remained with his Zippo lighter on the night table by his bed from the time he quit until his death.

A long time next door neighbor had emphysema as long as I knew him. When his doctor told him he had lung cancer, he drove from the medical facility at NAS Jax to the top of the Buckman Bridge, parked his car, got out and jumped into the river, taking his own life.

I come from an extended family of smokers. There are numerous cases of emphysema among my relatives and two more cases of lung cancer, one still surviving. I don't know either well enough to know how much or how longed they smoked, but I do know they did at some point.

Btw, I wasn't making a case that smoking less reduced your chances of getting cancer or emphysema.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I'd also say that being happy that you can lift your elbows doesn't indicate a great quality of life. But hey, what do I know?

I believe she was happy that the ability to lift her elbows meant she could get her whiskey glass and cigarette to her lips. Lighten up a little, 100 year olds say nutty things all the time.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:As long as she attributes smoking to only her longevity then no harm done.

You have more faith in the intelligence of people than I do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!