Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
'Whisky and 15 cigarettes a day is the secret of my good health'

'Whisky and 15 cigarettes a day is the secret of my good health' says Dorothy as she celebrates her 100th birthday

Hardy pensioner Dorothy Howe has reached her 100th birthday - despite smoking nearly half a million cigarettes during her life.

The retired secretary took her first drag aged 16 and has puffed her way through 15 Superking Black ciggies every day since then.

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-align:left;"> 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...z2kQcoWCvc

</div>

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good luck with her genetics I suppose. To say cigarettes are a secret to good health is just ignorant.

Quote:'Whisky and 15 cigarettes a day is the secret of my good health' says Dorothy as she celebrates her 100th birthday

<p class="bbc_left">

Hardy pensioner Dorothy Howe has reached her 100th birthday - despite smoking nearly half a million cigarettes during her life.

The retired secretary took her first drag aged 16 and has puffed her way through 15 Superking Black ciggies every day since then.

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"></span>
<p class="bbc_left">

Read more: <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2500759/Whisky-15-cigarettes-day-secret-good-health-says-Dorothy-celebrates-100th-birthday-glass-favourite-tipple-course.html#ixzz2kQcoWCvc'>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2500759/Whisky-15-cigarettes-day-secret-good-health-says-Dorothy-celebrates-100th-birthday-glass-favourite-tipple-course.html#ixzz2kQcoWCvc</a>

If this constitutes a reliable age calculator, then I'm approximately 128 years old. Give or take a few months.

I bet she's been coughing up blood since she was 70. 

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:I bet she's been coughing up blood since she was 70.

I have to hand it to you; if there's a tactless angle to be struck, you're always on course.

Quote:Good luck with her genetics I suppose. To say cigarettes are a secret to good health is just ignorant.
Beat me to it. She has fabulous genes.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Just think about how she'd feel without the half a million cigarettes.

Quote:Just think about how she'd feel without the half a million cigarettes.

Probably no different.

If I live to be 100, I'm going to make something up and say that's my secret to a long life just to make people go "What the..."  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Beat me to it. She has fabulous genes.

Yeah. She got lucky. Plenty of people who smoke get cancers in their 30's/40's. She got a good ticket in the genetic lotto.

Quote:Probably no different.

I don't care how good your genetics are. Half a million cigarettes is going to have an effect and it isn't going to be good.

Quote:I don't care how good your genetics are. Half a million cigarettes is going to have an effect and it isn't going to be good.

In her case, if there is, it's very minimal.

Quote:In her case, if there is, it's very minimal.

Hey, it's not like she's gonna live to be a hundred...

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I don't see anywhere in that article suggesting that this woman is promoting the way she chose to live her life as a recommendation for others. It's an interesting story, but we really don't know the details. First off, 15 cigarettes a day is 75% of a pack. Everyone I've known that had lung cancer or emphysema smoked 2 - 3 packs per day for years, even after their diseases were diagnosed. I knew another elderly woman who always had a cigarette in her hand but hardly ever inhaled. She just liked puffing on it and the activity of holding it helped "calm her nerves", as she liked to say. She died 2 years ago with no respiratory or cardiac problems.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:. Everyone I've known that had lung cancer or emphysema smoked 2 - 3 packs per day for years, even after their diseases were diagnosed.

Just curious, how many people have you known who had lung cancer?  I'm 58 years old and I've known 2. One was my mother who died at 77 and the other was my mother-in-law who died at 87.

Regards..............the Chiefjag

My grandmother started smoking when she was 15 which would be somewhere in the 1930s, still kicking today at 96

Quote:In her case, if there is, it's very minimal.

Just because it isn't life threatening doesn't mean that it is "minimal". I'm operating on relatively little info regarding this person, but I'd "guess" that half a million cigarettes is going to affect the lungs in some way. I'd also say that being happy that you can lift your elbows doesn't indicate a great quality of life. But hey, what do I know?

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

Quote:Just because it isn't life threatening doesn't mean that it is "minimal". I'm operating on relatively little info regarding this person, but I'd "guess" that half a million cigarettes is going to affect the lungs in some way. I'd also say that being happy that you can lift your elbows doesn't indicate a great quality of life. But hey, what do I know?

She was being humorous in light of the fact that she is 100 years old, still ENJOYS 15 cigarettes a day, and is still able to step out on occasion with friends and family to ENJOY a whiskey or two.  

Let me repeat: she is 100 years old.  Lighten up and gain some perspective, will ya? 

Quote:She was being humorous in light of the fact that she is 100 years old, still ENJOYS 15 cigarettes a day, and is still able to step out on occasion with friends and family to ENJOY a whiskey or two.  

Let me repeat: she is 100 years old.  Lighten up and gain some perspective, will ya? 

I was born with improperly functioning lungs. Sorry if I don't particularly like the idea of someone attributing their good health to something that is proven to destroy perfectly functioning lungs. I'd love to be able to be more active than I am but it's difficult to do so because of my asthma. So sorry if I'm a little disgusted at someone who willingly inhales toxins that normally destroy lungs and then goes on to promote them as being good for her health.

I have perspective, it's just not the same as yours.

Quote:Just curious, how many people have you known who had lung cancer?  I'm 58 years old and I've known 2. One was my mother who died at 77 and the other was my mother-in-law who died at 87.

Regards..............the Chiefjag

Not lung cancer but my father got emphysema when he was in his mid-30's. He started smoking when he was a teenager and was about a half a pack a day smoker. He's in his 60's now but he has a hard even walking around the mall without stopping and he has to get treatments once a month at a hospital.

;

;