Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I think the roster is playing about as well as it can.....

Quote::no:

Good to see you back for the past coupla' weeks '02, but I have to disagree.   These guys definitely get a pretty hefty pass due to lack of experience and the fact that Bradley's scheme demands a lot from them at times.....

However, they are often more than just one or two steps late to the party in pass coverage and  they each have whiffed or been beaten on way too many tackles, IMO.  I didn't expect much better  - but I'd like to see improvement from these two before the season grinds to a merciful halt.

I fully expect they will improve. They just got thrown into the fire.. Evans, Cyprien and Gratz... how many teams have had 3 rookies starting?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I know Prosinski is flat out terrible. That was my point.

I'm no big Prosinski supporter - but you guys should realize that he only played 4 defensive snaps Sunday and made a TD saving tackle on one of them. 

He's also been a pretty solid contributor on special teams.  (blocked punt and a few good tackles and assists on returners)  I don't want to see him in coverage, but he's actually very nearly the least of our problems.  He's just playing a small niche role on D when they play dime or something similar.  

Quote: Get a good QB and all this other crap gets a whole lot easier. 
So Bridgewater is gonna keep SF from running for 200+ yards on our D?   Good to know.    Tongue

Just messing with you - but seriously man - everyone knows a real QB is going to change the offense dramatically.  I doubt you are educating anyone with that one...

Quote:So Bridgewater is gonna keep SF from running for 200+ yards on our D?   Good to know.    Tongue

Just messing with you - but seriously man - everyone knows a real QB is going to change the offense dramatically.  I doubt you are educating anyone with that one...

In all seriousness a good QB would improve the defense..is.. they wouldn't be on the field as much.. less 3 and outs.. etc

A competent qb can take advantage of weapons like Blackmon, Shorts and Ace Sanders while firing up the defense and keeping them on less.

Quote:In all seriousness a good QB would improve the defense..is.. they wouldn't be on the field as much.. less 3 and outs.. etc

Yes.  Obviously -  but when you repeatedly can't get your defense off the field on 3rd and 20+ for 3 weeks in a row....  that help is going to be minuscule. 

Giving Caldwell time to build a roster is only fair, and the willingness to do so has nothing to do with having been patient with Gene Smith. The fact is that the roster was blown up, and will take 2 - 3 years to rebuild into a competitive team. Dave hasn't even been on the job a year, and his draft picks have only had 8 regular season games. We just must be patient, even if we don't want to be. It's that simple.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Gene's picks at least appeared to be good this far into the 2009 season.

I've seen nothing from Caldwell's picks so far, other than 1 game from Gratz and 1 quarter at LT from Joeckel (who absolutely stunk at RT). Sanders is a fair KR, but taken at that position in the draft a KR should be elite, and it's not something that improves a lot with experience. Robinson was a wasted pick. Cyprien and Evans appear to be Prosinski and Prosinski.
What a dumb post.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:What a dumb post.

Some people are so down trodden about this team they can't see the bright spots.

Cyprien can not tackle running forward at full speed; he whiffs most of the time. He's definitely not great in coverage either so I don't see what he is doing good at this point besides coming up in the box. Caldwell's most productive pick was Joeckel and that was a safe almost can't miss pick. Not buying this front office yet because they've done nothing but assembled a 0-8 team. To just blindly sit and support another regime for four years with no progress is stupid. That's damn near a decade or ineptitude from this team and fans are expected to eat that? This team needs to start winning next year and fighting for a playoff spot in December or they're not getting the job done.

Quote:Giving Caldwell time to build a roster is only fair, and the willingness to do so has nothing to do with having been patient with Gene Smith. The fact is that the roster was blown up, and will take 2 - 3 years to rebuild into a competitive team. Dave hasn't even been on the job a year, and his draft picks have only had 8 regular season games. We just must be patient, even if we don't want to be. It's that simple.

Exactly right.

Gene Smith ran the team into the ground to the point the structure was dilapidated and barely standing...like any slum lord would  A couple of good kicks would have sent the thing crashing down. 

Caldwell condemned the structure tore it down, and is taking away the dead wood.  The dead wood should be gone by this offseason and the supplies/materials for a new structure will be brought in.

That takes time.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Lol one bad game against a superbowl level team and suddenly even the defense is trash? The same D that actually harassed Manning and Luck early in the games before dying on the field due to lack of offense.

The secondary is young and full of rookies / career backup FAs that we have even had some appearance of a defense for stretches in games is amazing given the Qbs we have faced this year.

I tend to agree with the OP.  There is some young talent still making rookie mistakes and not much after that.  The secondary will continue to improve and the experience they are getting will pay off down the road.  The WRs are excellent (especially with the addition of Mike Brown), and the speed merchants Ace and Shoelace have a throwaway year to figure out how to translate it to the NFL.  Robinson definitely has a burst that is scary if he can exploit it.

I think FB Will is a good young player, but we could use a stud RB to replace MJD.  The OL needs to be addressed in the draft and FA.  We need 2 or 3 new QBs. 

We need speed at LB and pressure from the DEs.  Sign DT Marks to a contract - he can be a good stopgap player for several years maybe. 

Drafting at the top of each round should help, the extra picks should help, but this draft is a key moment for Dave Caldwell.