Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell - His Decision on Knighton and Cox

Quote:You have a waiver wire pickup having as much success at corner than Cox ever did.

sad, but pretty much true. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM by Tuxedo.)

Pot Roast was the only one I wasn't a fan of letting go since his contract was so cheap with Denver. Cox on the other hand got overpaid with $10+ million in guarantees. 

Quote: It will be interesting when we lineup to kickoff next year to count how few GS players remain. I would be more than willing to wager it is probably a single digit number. Just proof of how bad a GM GS really was.  

excluding catastrophic injury or regression to the demons, theres one Gene Smith pick that should be here for most/ all of the Caldwell regime. 

Quote:He tweeted out something after Chad Johnson got arrested with the Dolphins. I vaguely remember it and took it more as him calling Johnson's wife(?) a gold digger than advocating domestic violence.

women being gold diggers?....nah, that doesn't happen....  Rolleyes 

I can't tell you how many women I knew when I was younger that clearly just latched onto/ married otherwise loser dudes, just because they had cash....

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM by BasshunterX.)

Quote:excluding catastrophic injury or regression to the demons, theres one Gene Smith pick that should be here for most/ all of the Caldwell regime.
I disagree. Trade blackmon after this year ONLY IF you can get a high price since hes breaking out this year. Use the picks to draft a REAL #1 WR that isnt a headcase and can outrun/outcut instead of just outcut.

We got too many welkers on this team and not enough calvin johnsons in terms of reciever type

Quote:I disagree. Trade blackmon after this year ONLY IF you can get a high price since hes breaking out this year. Use the picks to draft a REAL #1 WR that isnt a headcase and can outrun/outcut instead of just outcut.

This is obviously joking/ trollin', but I'll take the bait...

No. 

Blackmon is on his way to being a Fred Taylor level of special player in this league. He's worth way more to the Jags than you would get in a trade offer. Put it this way, if another team offered 2 first rounders for Blackmon, I'd turn them down. Not even sure I'd take an RGEETHREEE type trade offer in exchange for Blackmon because he is that good, and he's got his whole career ahead of him. I know theres risks with the DUI thing/ 1 strike against him, but you have to have confidence that he's maturing and has put his demons behind him. 

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM by BasshunterX.)

Quote:This is obviously joking/ trollin', but I'll take the bait...

No.

Blackmon is on his way to being a Fred Taylor level of special player in this league. He's worth way more to the Jags than you would get in a trade offer. Put it this way, if another team offered 2 first rounders for Blackmon, I'd turn them down. Not even sure I'd take an RGEETHREEE type trade offer in exchange for Blackmon because he is that good, and he's got his whole career ahead of him. I know theres risks with the DUI thing/ 1 strike against him, but you have to have confidence that he's maturing and has put his demons behind him.
not a joke. One more arrest and hes suspended the rest of the year and his stock plummets and jags realize they cant depend on him. Blackmon will break your heart. He is a physical beast and that owns the middle of the field. THATS IT. You draft wrs like that easily. Hell, shorts is the same thing except he outcuts everyone hence his go route mastery. We need downfield/Sideline recievers.

Gimme a 1st and 2nd or 2 1st rounders. Like I said, only for a high price.

Quote:This is obviously joking/ trollin', but I'll take the bait...

No. 

I love Blackmon, but I disagree -- I'd easily trade him for three first rounders if given the opportunity.

Quote:not a joke. One more arrest and hes suspended the rest of the year and his stock plummets and jags realize they cant depend on him. Blackmon will break your heart. He is a physical beast and that owns the middle of the field. THATS IT. You draft wrs like that easily. Hell, shorts is the same thing except he outcuts everyone hence his go route mastery. We need downfield/Sideline recievers.

Gimme a 1st and 2nd or 2 1st rounders. Like I said, only for a high price.

Blackmon is a legitimate threat to score from anywhere on the field when he gets the ball in his hands. I'm sorry, I strongly disagree with you - you don't draft WR's with that ability "easily". 

Quote:Blackmon is a legitimate threat to score from anywhere on the field when he gets the ball in his hands. I'm sorry, I strongly disagree with you - you don't draft WR's with that ability "easily". 
I agree, he's a baller! 

...But 3 1st rounders i'd take in a second.

Quote:Keep in mind you are basing this on what the jaguars radio network said, aka a paid media arm of the team. Last year they gushed over gene smith up until the bitter end, take anything they say with half a bottle of salt.

This sounds like a lie

Quote:excluding catastrophic injury or regression to the demons, theres one Gene Smith pick that should be here for most/ all of the Caldwell regime. 
I agree, Banger should be a Jag for life

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 10:33 AM by MoJagFan.)

Quote:Blackmon is a legitimate threat to score from anywhere on the field when he gets the ball in his hands. I'm sorry, I strongly disagree with you - you don't draft WR's with that ability "easily".
The Rams passed on Blackmon and took the arguably best WR in last years draft. How is he playing? Giving away known quality wouldn't be good. I agree with "you don't draft WR's with that ability "easily".

Watch the sports science segment on Blackmon and you'll see that he is starting to put those skills in use at the NFL level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qBeoerlk3A
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:The Rams passed on Blackmon and took the arguably best WR in last years draft. How is he playing? Giving away know quality wouldn't be good. I agree with "you don't draft WR's with that ability "easily".

Watch the sports science segment on Blackmon and you'll see that he is starting to put those skills in use at the NFL level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qBeoerlk3A

The Rams gambled with that trade down that Blackmon would still be there, and lost. Ha ha, I still smile when I think of Jeff Fisher slamming the table with his fist and yelling obscenities when the Jags snuck up 1 pick ahead of him and took Blackmon. Revenge is sweet :yes:

Knighton's first year he played alongside John Henderson. He was an interesting player but not exactly committed to the work required to be an outstanding player. It was always a shame Cox couldn't stay healthy. If he had played maybe 10 more games maybe they would have kept him.
The Khan Years

Quote:The Rams gambled with that trade down that Blackmon would still be there, and lost. Ha ha, I still smile when I think of Jeff Fisher slamming the table with his fist and yelling obscenities when the Jags snuck up 1 pick ahead of him and took Blackmon. Revenge is sweet :yes:
And then traded up for Tavon Austin, how's that working out for ya Jeff?  HAHAHA!

Quote:The Rams gambled with that trade down that Blackmon would still be there, and lost. Ha ha, I still smile when I think of Jeff Fisher slamming the table with his fist and yelling obscenities when the Jags snuck up 1 pick ahead of him and took Blackmon. Revenge is sweet :yes:
I lived in STL at the time and the pitch forks were all ablaze on that debacle. A large segment of the fans (the ones who aren't baseball fans), wanted RGIII and were ticked they got neither.
The Khan Years

Quote:I will be the first guy to say that I wanted Caldwell to bring both guys back. I thought those were both the best of the FA's to keep, and thought the team should have kept them. Caldwell kept neither.

Fast forward to today. I am listening to the Jaguar show tonight, and they are discussing how Knighton has seriously regressed, primarilary due to weight concerns, similar to the ones he had a couple seasons back. They said he is quickly becoming a non factor.

Also was Derek Cox. I wanted him back badly. I thought he wasn't going to be easily replaced. I now hear that he is just doing so-so for San Diego. I love Cox as a player, and hope he does good, but Caldwell made the right move again.

Two of the best players from prior years. Both gone. Both now appear to be the right moves at this point into the process.

Kudos to Caldwell for those moves. :thumbsup:

Knighton had been playing well for Denver. Maybe he'll regress, maybe he'll pick it back up. But it's not like Roy Miller is the "anchor" of our run defense that he was heralded as from his year in TB last year. At best, these two are a wash.

As far as Cox is concerned, I haven't watched many SD games so I'll have to reserve judgment. I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised with how Ball and especially Blackmon has played in our secondary. That said, it is a bit ironic that Cox was let go based on his "injuries", yet neither Ball nor Gratz (our starters) have played every game this season due to injury. Right now, it looks like Gus' system for the secondary is the real deal, turning guys like Ball/Blackmon, journeyman guys who have been cut and have had no place in this league into viable starters.

My only question is...and I get that these guys are cheaper than Derek, but how would Cox have played in this "system"? Aside from his injury concerns, Cox seemed to fit what this defense has asked of its CBs. Derek is physical, especially at the LOS, something we've asked of our corners. He certainly has the size that we look for (Blackmon is 6'0, 210. Ball 6'2 197. Gratz 5'11, 201. Cox is 6'1, 195). Had he been given the chance to work with Gus and play in this system, there's the possibility that he could have thrived...just as how Ball and Blackmon has.

Quote: 

My only question is...and I get that these guys are cheaper than Derek, but how would Cox have played in this "system"? Aside from his injury concerns, Cox seemed to fit what this defense has asked of its CBs. Derek is physical, especially at the LOS, something we've asked of our corners. He certainly has the size that we look for (Blackmon is 6'0, 210. Ball 6'2 197. Gratz 5'11, 201. Cox is 6'1, 195). Had he been given the chance to work with Gus and play in this system, there's the possibility that he could have thrived...just as how Ball and Blackmon has.

Cox was always hurt.

Quote:Cox was always hurt.

WAS always hurt....has he been this year...you know, like how Ball and Gratz has been?