Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell - His Decision on Knighton and Cox

I will be the first guy to say that I wanted Caldwell to bring both guys back. I thought those were both the best of the FA's to keep, and thought the team should have kept them. Caldwell kept neither.

Fast forward to today. I am listening to the Jaguar show tonight, and they are discussing how Knighton has seriously regressed, primarilary due to weight concerns, similar to the ones he had a couple seasons back. They said he is quickly becoming a non factor.

Also was Derek Cox. I wanted him back badly. I thought he wasn't going to be easily replaced. I now hear that he is just doing so-so for San Diego. I love Cox as a player, and hope he does good, but Caldwell made the right move again.

Two of the best players from prior years. Both gone. Both now appear to be the right moves at this point into the process.

Kudos to Caldwell for those moves. :thumbsup:

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just another example how above average players can appear "Elite" on the Jaguars roster. Time will tell if he was right about Monroe, and after one game, it appears he is well on his way to being right.

Quote:Just another example how above average players can appear "Elite" on the Jaguars roster. Time will tell if he was right about Monroe, and after one game, it appears he is well on his way to being right.
I watched some of that Ravens Packers game.... that line (including Monroe) was getting torched

im giving those two players the whole season before i pass judgement

We'll see if letting them depart was the right move.  So far, it is looking to be that way, especially with Knighton and his moobs (I prefer to call them mits) which have been there since he was a rookie. 

Quote:I will be the first guy to say that I wanted Caldwell to bring both guys back. I thought those were both the best of the FA's to keep, and thought the team should have kept them. Caldwell kept neither.

Fast forward to today. I am listening to the Jaguar show tonight, and they are discussing how Knighton has seriously regressed, primarilary due to weight concerns, similar to the ones he had a couple seasons back. They said he is quickly becoming a non factor.

Also was Derek Cox. I wanted him back badly. I thought he wasn't going to be easily replaced. I now hear that he is just doing so-so for San Diego. I love Cox as a player, and hope he does good, but Caldwell made the right move again.

Two of the best players from prior years. Both gone. Both now appear to be the right moves at this point into the process.

Kudos to Caldwell for those moves. :thumbsup:
Sometimes it is hard to watch - but we find out in the end it is in our best interest after all... its like an afterschool special

Caldwell is going to bring in players that fit his philosophy, not try to make the current players fill roles they won't be good at. Pot Roast had his moments here, and so did Cox. It was time to move on.

You can include Daryl Smith in that group. 

That's why you're going to see the Jags let go of quite a few more pricy players next offseason.  Lowery, Lewis, MJD - gone.  I think Poz will either be let go or asked to take a paycut. He's one of the best we've got, but way overpaid for his actual production.

Knighton is playing fairly well while Cox is french toast.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Both moves made sense to me. Knighton has been very inconsistent and has a questionable work ethic. Cox is extremely injury prone. 

I also lost all respect for Knighton as a person when he basically advocated women keeping their mouth shut about being abused by their boyfriend/husband. But I guess that's a different issue altogether . . . 

[Image: hot-dancing-unlv-college-football-fan-2012.gif]

Quote:Both moves made sense to me. Knighton has been very inconsistent and has a questionable work ethic. Cox is extremely injury prone. 

I also lost all respect for Knighton as a person when he basically advocated women keeping their mouth shut about being abused by their boyfriend/husband. But I guess that's a different issue altogether . . .

Thank you for your advocacy (in a world of sarcasm, this is sincere).. I was not aware of his stance .... If that is true I REBUKE that!  This woman will never keep her mouth shut - like it or not!!!!

Quote:Caldwell is going to bring in players that fit his philosophy, not try to make the current players fill roles they won't be good at. Pot Roast had his moments here, and so did Cox. It was time to move on.

You can include Daryl Smith in that group. 

That's why you're going to see the Jags let go of quite a few more pricy players next offseason.  Lowery, Lewis, MJD - gone.  I think Poz will either be let go or asked to take a paycut. He's one of the best we've got, but way overpaid for his actual production.

Very good comments.   

The only way I can envision the players you mentioned that are currently on the Jaguars,  remaining with the team In 2014,   is if the contract terms are at noticeable lower prices than what they are on the books for in 2013.   

This team lost any immediate chance at viability the day they cut Eben Britton.

Cox isn't playing so-so, he's playing terribly, at least statistically. PFF has him giving up 24/37 (64.9%) for 351 yards (9.5 YPA), 3 TDs and 1 INT.

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 05:22 AM by shag52.)

Pot Roast, to me, always had a work ethic problem...it seemed like he never was in shape at the start of the season but he got a little better by the time the middle of the season rolled around... it was clear that the HC and GM saw this on game film and didn't want any part of this...

Cox was a different story for me... I thought that he might have a good chance to make the team even with his injury problems... at times he really looked good in man coverage, which I thought was his strongest point and Bradley likes to play man to man coverage... I thought that both him and Mathis suffered from the back-end of the defensive backfield plus no push from the defensive front... but it looks like both of them were not in the future plans for the team...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

You have a waiver wire pickup having as much success at corner than Cox ever did.

;

;

Keep in mind you are basing this on what the jaguars radio network said, aka a paid media arm of the team. Last year they gushed over gene smith up until the bitter end, take anything they say with half a bottle of salt.

I liked Cox alot as well.  Prior to Cox's break out season a couple years ago, remember how putrid our secondary was?  We could never get off the feild on 3rd and longs.  Then Cox stepped up, I believe after we got rid of Reggie Nelson.  It was like a revalation, after watching that secondary look horrible, not cover, and not tackle, Cox looked like the real deal.

The funny thing is, I think our secondary isn't really missing Cox all that much this year.  Seems like this was another good decision by Caldwell...  It's still early in the season, but it appears that our secondary will be better in the long run without Cox than with him.

Quote:Keep in mind you are basing this on what the jaguars radio network said, aka a paid media arm of the team. Last year they gushed over gene smith up until the bitter end, take anything they say with half a bottle of salt.

Just an FYI. The radio crew are working for Clear Channel. Not the team. The team farmed out all of their broadcast properties a few years back.

I don't recall them gushing at all over Gene Smith last year, but I guess for some folks, if they weren't crucifying the guy on a weekly basis, that's considered gushing.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

It will be interesting when we lineup to kickoff next year to count how few GS players remain. I would be more than willing to wager it is probably a single digit number. Just proof of how bad a GM GS really was.  

What?  Derek Cox is not a Pro Bowler ?

Imagine that !!