Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles too Toxic to remain on the roster next season?

Certainly not toxic. Not even sure why those words were chosen. Horribly inconsistent over the years. 7 games isn’t enough to change that opinion. Not to mention a lot of it is mental (in his head) with him. He starts off great...good game. Things go bad early, you already know the outcome before it even happens. I honestly don’t feel Blake would be able to even handle it mentally if the team happened to make it into a Super Bowl. I also feel, if the defense wasn’t so good we wouldn’t even be having this conversation about him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 05:36 AM by nhiverson.)

(10-31-2017, 08:30 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm just asking because he has improved this year but is the narrative already written perception wise and there's nothing he can do that would be embraced by this fan base?
He hasn't really improved hes been the same guy for 4 seasons. Just throwing less
[Image: DNKNIAYUIAAJWV1?format=jpg&name=small]
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 06:01 AM by The Real Marty.)

Okay, I looked it up, and the 19 million is not locked in and guaranteed until opening day.  If Blake is on the 53 man roster on opening day, the 19 million is guaranteed.  

So that gives us all kinds of options, because we can go right up to opening day in September 2018 before we decide what to do with Blake.  

If we land a guy like Cousins in free agency, cut Blake loose then, but if not, see if someone can beat him out in training camp.

(11-01-2017, 05:13 AM)iapetus Wrote: You know how they say there's no such thing as a stupid question? Sometimes my belief in that is tested.

Yeah I guess you can say that but it's not like you're the most intelligent person in the world either my man. Sometimes, people like you on this message board can be so full of yourself but whatever right.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(10-31-2017, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I want Bortles gone more than I wanted Gabbert gone.

That is because you have no clue what you are talking about 99 percent of the time.

(11-01-2017, 07:01 AM)trunt87 Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I want Bortles gone more than I wanted Gabbert gone.

That is because you have no clue what you are talking about 99 percent of the time.

I just disregard everything he says as a person because Jagfanatic24 football IQ is questionable at best.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 07:38 AM by Jordz808.)

W
(10-31-2017, 09:34 PM)Ucf_Jag_1 Wrote: Jaguars are tied for 1st in ACC south, what more do you want moron?

Yeah but with a good QB we would have a much greater lead and looking at a super bowl... if u look at our top rank defense, pounding rush attack, good OLine and great coaching we should be favorites to go the the super bowl... I wouldn't  go as far as saying he is toxic but he is definitely holding us back from being super bowl contenders

One thing about Blake is he is not a quitter. I never see him quit out of the field like Jay Cutler does. He seems to be a team player. He has characteristics that make a great teammate. Now if he could just perform better.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(10-31-2017, 08:35 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Toxic to the team? No.

Toxic to our ridiculous fan base? Probably. The guy could end up Super Bowl MVP this year and half of Jax would still hate him.

Hahaa.... C'mon.

Almost ALL of his criticism has been well deserved.

If he turned it around and had that type of season, I think people would flip flop and pretend they liked him all along.

I don't even understand the 'toxic' reference.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-01-2017, 05:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, I looked it up, and the 19 million is not locked in and guaranteed until opening day.  If Blake is on the 53 man roster on opening day, the 19 million is guaranteed.  

So that gives us all kinds of options, because we can go right up to opening day in September 2018 before we decide what to do with Blake.  

If we land a guy like Cousins in free agency, cut Blake loose then, but if not, see if someone can beat him out in training camp.

Yeah. That was the way I understood it too, but my question now is whether they can negotiate the deal?

My understanding is that - since it's part of the new rookie compensation plan in the new CBA - they can't negotiate his deal. Meaning the only way Bortles is a Jag in 2018 is by paying him 19 million.

OR  - is it possible to sign him to a multi-year deal that matches or exceeds that figure over time - and keep him as the back-up?

(might be the way to go if they plan to draft the QB of the future instead of signing him)

(11-01-2017, 09:46 AM)Rico Wrote: I don't even understand the 'toxic' reference.

Yeah... it's more like the fanbase that is toxic... and rabid would be a better descriptor.

To answer the question... No, he isn't beyond saving.
All he has to do is have a game like he did VS the clots..........in 7 of 9 remaining games..... then I believe a lot of people would be much more open to rolling with Bortles going forward.

He can't just ride the D and the run game and pass for 85, 125, 198, 380, 202, 156, 92, etc.... that won't win anyone over, except the fan club that would point to the fact we still don't have an all-star TE and 5 pro bowl OL guys....

(11-01-2017, 09:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. That was the way I understood it too, but my question now is whether they can negotiate the deal.

My understanding is that - since it's part of the new rookie compensation plan in the new CBA - they can't negotiate his deal. Meaning the only way Bortles is a Jag in 2018 is by paying him 19 million.

OR  - is it possible to sign him to a multi-year deal that matches or exceeds that figure over time - and keep him as the back-up.

(might be the way to go if they plan to draft the QB of the future instead of signing him)

I'm not at all sure that's right.

Toxic no. Realistically starting QB? Chances are 25%
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Are we asking if his BAC is too toxic? I'd say no so far this year.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM by JackCity.)

(11-01-2017, 05:35 AM)nhiverson Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:30 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm just asking because he has improved this year but is the narrative already written perception wise and there's nothing he can do that would be embraced by this fan base?
He hasn't really improved hes been the same guy for 4 seasons. Just throwing less
[Image: DNKNIAYUIAAJWV1?format=jpg&name=small]

Bingo. He's still the same inaccurate, inefficient and turnover prone QB.

Unless he completely transforms and plays very good football down the stretch I'd just cut him from the option at the end of the year. Sign him up to a backup type deal where he can earn incentives if we have to start him..then attack the position in the draft and free agency.

If he gets offered a better contract and a better chance to start then fair enough. We won't really be missing out on much. He's impressed me a ton with how he's handled this year and I'm sure is working very hard..just not going to tie myself to him at all.

(10-31-2017, 08:35 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Toxic to the team? No.

Toxic to our ridiculous fan base? Probably. The guy could end up Super Bowl MVP this year and half of Jax would still hate him.

You hit it right on the head

Dude had has best game of his career last game @ Indy and I see comments on an article about the Dareus trade trade talking about they need to cut Bortles 

Now as far as the question, if the Jags want to spend big on someone like Cousins they would prob dump him to free up cap room, otherwise he could be back on the roster
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(11-01-2017, 09:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, I looked it up, and the 19 million is not locked in and guaranteed until opening day.  If Blake is on the 53 man roster on opening day, the 19 million is guaranteed.  

Yeah. That was the way I understood it too, but my question now is whether they can negotiate the deal?

OR  - is it possible to sign him to a multi-year deal that matches or exceeds that figure over time  - and keep him as the back-up?

I'm no contract CBA expert at all but I think it boils down to these options.

1. Playing on the 5th year option at 19 mil for the year
2. Cutting him before option kicks in and then negotiating a deal.
3. Extend him 19 mil + extension beyond.

And I think they won't make up their mind until after the draft and free agency.
If the draft and FA doesn't fall their way, they fall back on Bortles.

All of this contingent on Bortles playing well enough. If he nose dives for any reason I think he'll be an easy cut.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 12:34 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Are you blind? 

Gabbert was pure awful, Bortles is inconsistent but he is tough, works hard, has had great games, had a solid season, those are things Gabbert never done.

Gabbert last year with the Jags he had 1 td and 7 ints, if you wanted to keep that over Bortles, then your hate for him is far beyond football reasons
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>