Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles too Toxic to remain on the roster next season?

I'm just asking because he has improved this year but is the narrative already written perception wise and there's nothing he can do that would be embraced by this fan base?
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Toxic to the team? No.

Toxic to our ridiculous fan base? Probably. The guy could end up Super Bowl MVP this year and half of Jax would still hate him.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Still to early, he still has 9 games to play

Toxic? I don't think so.

It's all about how well he plays in the next 9 games and that ridiculous option salary. That's a big figure for him to "earn."

No, he's not too toxic. 
If he plays well enough, he'll be back maybe.

Leopold, it's not just Jags fans. 

Clay Travis on his national show just the other day posed the question: "Who's the best team in the NFL with a bad QB?"

His answer:
1. Jacksonville 
2. Minnesota 

Not that I necessarily agree with that; Bortles is playing well enough for the role he's being asked to play. But,  it's national perception buddy.

(10-31-2017, 08:54 PM)jagherd Wrote: No, he's not too toxic. 
If he plays well enough, he'll be back maybe.

Leopold, it's not just Jags fans. 

Clay Travis on his national show just the other day posed the question: "Who's the best team in the NFL with a bad QB?"

His answer:
1. Jacksonville 
2. Minnesota 

Not that I necessarily agree with that; Bortles is playing well enough for the role he's being asked to play. But,  it's national perception buddy.
i agree with you about the national perception of him

No.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Jaguars are tied for 1st in ACC south, what more do you want moron?

(10-31-2017, 09:34 PM)Ucf_Jag_1 Wrote: Jaguars are tied for 1st in ACC south, what more do you want moron?

We've been relegated to an NCAA conference???

Tongue

(10-31-2017, 09:34 PM)Ucf_Jag_1 Wrote: Jaguars are tied for 1st in ACC south, what more do you want moron?

spacecoastjag why are you calling someone a moron when i'm just asking a question about the situation.

I'll go out on a limb here.

I think Bortles gets a new contract before the end of the season...  as long as he plays well enough to not lose games for us and as long as he doesn't get injured.  Going off the top of my head, but I think that he's only thrown a couple of "bad" interceptions so far this season that are all on him.  He's played well enough to warrant re-negotiating the $19 million or so due to him at the end of the season.

What goes into my thinking that the Jaguars will retain him is this.  They HAVE to get at least one other QB since Chad Henne is going to be an UFA at the end of the season.

My thinking is that they sign him to a manageable deal for around the same price ($19 mil), possibly with some incentives thrown in and the team drafts a QB.

The narrative from fans and the media about him being so bad really isn't so.  Is he great and/or a franchise QB?  Absolutely not, but I don't see the team dropping both QB's at the end of the season and starting over at the position.  I can see them letting Henne walk and/or retire, signing Bortles to possibly a 3 year deal and drafting a QB.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-31-2017, 09:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'll go out on a limb here.

I think Bortles gets a new contract before the end of the season...  as long as he plays well enough to not lose games for us and as long as he doesn't get injured.  Going off the top of my head, but I think that he's only thrown a couple of "bad" interceptions so far this season that are all on him.  He's played well enough to warrant re-negotiating the $19 million or so due to him at the end of the season.

What goes into my thinking that the Jaguars will retain him is this.  They HAVE to get at least one other QB since Chad Henne is going to be an UFA at the end of the season.

My thinking is that they sign him to a manageable deal for around the same price ($19 mil), possibly with some incentives thrown in and the team drafts a QB.

The narrative from fans and the media about him being so bad really isn't so.  Is he great and/or a franchise QB?  Absolutely not, but I don't see the team dropping both QB's at the end of the season and starting over at the position.  I can see them letting Henne walk and/or retire, signing Bortles to possibly a 3 year deal and drafting a QB.

Chortles gone. Sign Breesus to 2 year deal. Draft a qb at 20 or wherever we end up.

Championship.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-31-2017, 08:35 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Toxic to the team? No.

Toxic to our ridiculous fan base? Probably. The guy could end up Super Bowl MVP this year and half of Jax would still hate him.

This
Blake Bortles is a lot of things, but toxic is not one of them. If anything he has a confidence issue, not a over-cockiness one

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(10-31-2017, 09:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'll go out on a limb here.

I agree with this also, he is better than what most teams have at backup, and better than the lowest starters. I don't think you let him go for nothing, but you can't pay him near franchise money when he is playing like a journeyman.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Bortles has too much of a rep of making an appearance st the Lemon Bar. He would be a good backup so I'm sure we could resign him to a cheap deal once we get Cpusins
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

He's not toxic, he just hasn't improved enough to make me trust him as a starting QB, when we are so close to having a complete team. I wish him the best though.

He's just so inconsistent it's infuriating. It's one extreme or the other after 4 seasons of games. With all the money thats being invested into this team it's hard to find a a scenario to resign a guy when 80% of the job is handing it off to 27.

I want Bortles gone more than I wanted Gabbert gone.

You know how they say there's no such thing as a stupid question? Sometimes my belief in that is tested.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 09:35 AM by TearExtractor.)

(11-01-2017, 05:13 AM)iapetus Wrote: You know how they say there's no such thing as a stupid question? Sometimes my belief in that is tested.

Look up JDubs post history if you want that belief completely shattered.