Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles - Progress & Inconsistency - Merged Threads

Bortles had another great game. I hope to see him continue that kind of play
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Right now he is playing better than he did in 2015

The execution on 3rd Downs by Blake Bortles and the Jaguars Offense collectively was impressive in this game. That was a huge factor in the Jaguars building a lead, Bengals Defense wearing down, and the Jaguars Defense being able to play to their strength. Bortles played with poise.

Being that the Bengals statistically were one of the better pass Defenses in the NFL before today, that's another reason for Jaguars optimism that Bortles is much improved from last season and early this season. With the Jaguars having a favorable schedule on paper the remainder of the season, if Bortles plays even close to today's level, the Jaguars have a great chance at making the playoffs with a double digit win total.

Having a competent offensive line has made all the difference in the world for the run game, and it shows in Bortles' calmer, more confident play. I think we're seeing the birth of a game manager. He can't carry a team by himself, but he can certainly be the guy who feeds the skilled players around him.

(11-05-2017, 07:37 PM)TJBender Wrote: Having a competent offensive line has made all the difference in the world for the run game, and it shows in Bortles' calmer, more confident play. I think we're seeing the birth of a game manager. He can't carry a team by himself, but he can certainly be the guy who feeds the skilled players around him.

He don't have the receivers to do that.  He is making the best of what he has to work with at the moment, not to mention the times he hits Lee right on the numbers for crucial plays time and time and time again.  If Westbrook can come in and make a spark and we go get us a true number 1 WR in the draft, Bortles might be able to do that.

(11-05-2017, 06:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Bortles becoming our franchise QB is the best thing that can ever happen to the Jags.  In the draft we can go get our true number 1 WR and our TE.  Would still keep Lewis one more year and our rookie can learn from him.

I agree with your first statement about Bortles. The way he has played the last 2 games is all this team needs from their quarterback. The Jaguars have had one of the best defenses and running games in the NFL this season and this should continue to be their identity moving forward. His continued improvement means the Jags won't have to "break the bank" in the off-season for guys like Cousins or Alex Smith. 

I do not agree with your draft priorities for next year, especially at wide receiver. Allen Robinson is capable of being a solid number one receiver. He obviously worked hard during the off-season and was set to have a big year prior to his injury. He should be re-signed to a one year "prove it" deal to prove he is worth a big multi-year contract beginning in 2019. I expect Westbrook to emerge as a legitimate deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest. The difficult decision will be whether to keep Lee or Hurns. Cutting Hurns is the more likely option since it will save the team a large amount of salary cap money, although Lee is a risk due to his history of injuries. His ability to run after the catch, however, combined with Robinson and Westbrook would give this team a very solid receiving corps. Defenses will have to "pick their poison" when deciding how to control our offense. Add in Cole for depth ( that catch today was amazing) and there is no need to draft a receiver in the early rounds if at all.

Tight end definitely needs to be upgraded, and I expect the Jaguars to address this in the first 3 rounds of the next draft. If the draft were today, I'd like to see something like this:

Rd. 1 - Best offensive tackle to bookend with Cam Robinson (possibly Orlando Brown).
Rd. 2/3 - Quarterback/Tight end- There should be a good prospect who can sit behind Bortles. Finley looked very good yesterday as did Ferguson. If they are gone, take the best tight end (Gesicki would be great here) and take a q.b. in the 3rd (Falk, Stidham, Thorsen).

Guys. He's making the intermediate throws count and the quick stuff. He's doing a good job. But the deep stuff still isn't there.

He's not winding up as much. We might can hide him another half season.

This team has been starving for even average QB play that when it finally happens, we think it means great.

Blake is playing well. He did well on 3rd down today and kept drives alive. I hope he keeps it up all season because if he does, this team is gonna be very hard to beat.

(11-05-2017, 07:54 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 06:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Bortles becoming our franchise QB is the best thing that can ever happen to the Jags.  In the draft we can go get our true number 1 WR and our TE.  Would still keep Lewis one more year and our rookie can learn from him.

I agree with your first statement about Bortles. The way he has played the last 2 games is all this team needs from their quarterback. The Jaguars have had one of the best defenses and running games in the NFL this season and this should continue to be their identity moving forward. His continued improvement means the Jags won't have to "break the bank" in the off-season for guys like Cousins or Alex Smith. 

I do not agree with your draft priorities for next year, especially at wide receiver. Allen Robinson is capable of being a solid number one receiver. He obviously worked hard during the off-season and was set to have a big year prior to his injury. He should be re-signed to a one year "prove it" deal to prove he is worth a big multi-year contract beginning in 2019. I expect Westbrook to emerge as a legitimate deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest. The difficult decision will be whether to keep Lee or Hurns. Cutting Hurns is the more likely option since it will save the team a large amount of salary cap money, although Lee is a risk due to his history of injuries. His ability to run after the catch, however, combined with Robinson and Westbrook would give this team a very solid receiving corps. Defenses will have to "pick their poison" when deciding how to control our offense. Add in Cole for depth ( that catch today was amazing) and there is no need to draft a receiver in the early rounds if at all.

Tight end definitely needs to be upgraded, and I expect the Jaguars to address this in the first 3 rounds of the next draft. If the draft were today, I'd like to see something like this:

Rd. 1 - Best offensive tackle to bookend with Cam Robinson (possibly Orlando Brown).
Rd. 2/3 - Quarterback/Tight end- There should be a good prospect who can sit behind Bortles. Finley looked very good yesterday as did Ferguson. If they are gone, take the best tight end (Gesicki would be great here) and take a q.b. in the 3rd (Falk, Stidham, Thorsen).
Lee wont be back and Parnell is playing probably the best ball of his career.  Parnell isn't going anywhere at season end.  A Rob is the biggest question mark, I dont think they will want to pay him 15 mil. a year when this draft is as deep as it is and they can get a Michael Gallup, James Washington, or Courtland Sutton.  If they do resign A Rob I think we cut Hurns and Lee still wont get resigned though

Watching Blake's presser, he has a little fire in him after this one. Hope that carries over.

Better gameplans and the receivers are actually getting separation.

Pleasantly surprised these past two weeks. He can really win us over if he finishes out the season in a similar fashion. Still want a guy in the 1st two rounds though

(11-05-2017, 08:44 PM)Takedakai Wrote: Watching Blake's presser, he has a little fire in him after this one.  Hope that carries over.

Him and Marrone seemed to have a heated exchange at the end of the game so that may have had something to do with it. NFL.com had a video of it.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Bottles is playing better but he got away with a few terrible throws today and still has way to many batted balls at LOS.

(11-05-2017, 09:56 PM)Protozoa Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 08:44 PM)Takedakai Wrote: Watching Blake's presser, he has a little fire in him after this one.  Hope that carries over.

Him and Marrone seemed to have a heated exchange at the end of the game so that may have had something to do with it. NFL.com had a video of it.

That was because Marrone wouldnt let them run up the score at the end of the game.  Bortles wanted to score again because of Burfict a few days ago saying Fournette can beat them but Bortles cant

If only we had cut him for no reason to start henne

(11-05-2017, 10:16 PM)lastonealive Wrote: If only we had cut him for no reason to start henne

I think the benching did him good honestly.  Some players fold under those circumstances and it lights a fire under some and makes them better.  I think we are seeing which one Bortles falls under

It would be incredible for this whole franchise if BB5 continued to turn the corner. He's doing it without a #1 receiver out there. I've been a fan of the kids since he came on board, and would like nothing more than for him to pull this together and serve some crow to the haters.
You're Welcome.

The thing that impressed me the most about Blake today was his footwork in the pocket. He did a great job of sensing the pass rush, stepping up in the pocket at the most opportune time, and escaping the pocket when he needed too. I think that the team as a whole, but most noticeably Blake, has proven that the previous Head coach was completely inept when it came to getting the most out of his talent. I still believe that the more time Blake gets with this new staff/system/standard, the more Blake will improve. This leads to me to believe that Blake will sign a short term deal in the offseason, maybe 2 years with the 2nd year being an option, betting on himself, to continue to be our starter, and I'm completely fine with that. In one breath people want to complain and say that all Bortles will ever be is a game manager, but then in the next breath they want to trade for a so called game manager in Alex Smith. When I watch Alex Smith I don't see a game manager, I see a damn good quarterback. He can make every throw that he needs to be able too. Tom Brady is considered to be the best that has ever done it, but the majority of the New England offense consists of 7 yard quick throws. Brady is so effective because his football IQ is off the charts, and he doesn't make many mistakes. I'm not saying that Blake is going to turn into Brady, but this team can do much worse. Not to mention Blake is still extremely young, and still has the time/ability to take huge strides.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 10:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-05-2017, 10:37 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: The thing that impressed me the most about Blake today was his footwork in the pocket.  He did a great job of sensing the pass rush, stepping up in the pocket at the most opportune time, and escaping the pocket when he needed too.  I think that the team as a whole, but most noticeably Blake, has proven that the previous Head coach was completely inept when it came to getting the most out of his talent.  I still believe that the more time Blake gets with this new staff/system/standard, the more Blake will improve.  This leads to me to believe that Blake will sign a short term deal in the offseason, maybe 2 years with the 2nd year being an option, betting on himself, to continue to be our starter, and I'm completely fine with that. In one breath people want to complain and say that all Bortles will ever be is a game manager, but then in the next breath they want to trade for a so called game manager in Alex Smith.  When I watch Alex Smith I don't see a game manager, I see a damn good quarterback.  He can make every throw that he needs to be able too.  Tom Brady is considered to be the best that has ever done it, but the majority of the New England offense consists of 7 yard quick throws. Brady is so effective because his football IQ is off the charts, and he doesn't make many mistakes.  I'm not saying that Blake is going to turn into Brady, but this team can do much worse.  Not to mention Blake is still extremely young, and still has the time/ability to take huge strides.

[Image: 23004693_1725028307572120_64212607437171...e=5AA78A80]