Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles - Progress & Inconsistency - Merged Threads

Props to him today.  Without Fournette, he was able to successfully drive the Jags offense. He made a lot of smart plays out there. I'm also noticing that he's now throwing the ball away, instead of forcing plays (and creating INT's.)

For the second consecutive game, he hasn't thrown an iNT.  For the third consecutive game, his passing percentage is over 60%.
And he's doing it without A-Rob.

If he keeps playing this well for the rest of the season, the Jaguars might want to consider keeping him. I'd still like to draft a QB in the first round.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He keeps playing like this, I think it's a foregone conclusion that the management team is not going to draft a qb in the first round....heck I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps this up, they don't even draft a QB at all in this next draft.

He may just be a game manager. I'm ok with that, as long as he's NOT turning the ball over or becoming a major weakness when the chips are down. Would i love for him to be better, absolutely! But the devil you know if better than the devil you don't. I don't see them discarding for a new young QB just yet. And honestly, i'm still not sure if I want to see them do that anyway.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 05:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

The last few week I think he has looked the best he has ever looked in his career. In 2015 a lot of his stats were from throwing 50/50 balls to A Rob and garbage time stats. Right now he has looked like the guy we hope we drafted when we took him 3rd overall and he doesnt even have a true number 1 receiver

(11-05-2017, 05:56 PM)Nikowho Wrote: He keeps playing like this, I think it's a foregone conclusion that the management team is not going to draft a qb in the first round....heck I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps this up, they don't even draft a QB at all in this next draft.

He may just be a game manager. I'm ok with that, as long as he's NOT turning the ball over or becoming a major weakness when the chips are down. Would i love for him to be better, absolutely! But the devil you know if better than the devil you don't. I don't see them discarding for a new young QB just yet. And honestly, i'm still not sure if I want to see them do that anyway.

If he keeps playing like this I dont want a QB in the first either.  We will definitely draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th at least to replace Henne.  Finley or Ferguson i could see us drafting in the mid rounds

Yup, give him an extensionx qb for the jags for.10 seasons

I think he has benefited immensely from better pass protection, better running game, and a great defense. Of course, it is to his credit that he has learned that he can throw the ball away and go on to the next play. Plus, I really think Marrone and Hackett have eliminated some of those plays that led to pick-6s.

It's called maturity.

Throwing the ball away when nobody is open instead of forcing bad throws is something new from BB.
This coaching staff is doing a great job with him.

(11-05-2017, 06:03 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: It's called maturity.

Throwing the ball away when nobody is open instead of forcing bad throws is something new from BB.
This coaching staff is doing a great job with him.

I feel like this is what we are seeing. Hoping to continue to see this steady improvement.

The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit here. Blake is getting better as the season goes on. I like that.

(11-05-2017, 06:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit here. Blake is getting better as the season goes on. I like that.

I agree...his pre-snap reading is better, his pocket presence is better, his decisions are better (even throwing the ball away when needed).

I'm not inking him to a franchise QB deal just yet but I like how he looks right now.

I'm throwing lots of credit Caldwell's way too...his roster is bearing fruit.

Agree that he appears to be turning the corner. Is he what we were hoping after 2015? Prob not. But he is definitely better than QB purgatory and is contributing to wins. If he keeps playing like this, QB is not a pressing need for us.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

He's making better decisions and not trying to do to much in the last few games. He is still woefully inaccurate at times but he probably always will be. If he can be effective and avoid mistakes, maybe that's enough. Would still like to have a guy that can single handedly win games on occasion but so do 20 other teams. Smile
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

As space said in a different thread... Bortles has played outstanding the past 3 games... can't deny that.

Saw touch passes today. Wasn't sure I was watching the right team. Nice to see a strong game plan coming off a bye week. First time we have won the bye week in a long time. Bengals had no answer for the team and it lead to them losing their cool.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 06:26 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Bortles becoming our franchise QB is the best thing that can ever happen to the Jags. In the draft we can go get our true number 1 WR and our TE. Would still keep Lewis one more year and our rookie can learn from him.

Anyone else think our playbook and Bortles becomes better when we don't try to run it down the opposing teams defense 3x in a row with Fournette? Don't get me wrong, LF27 is an absolute beast but we don't need to abuse him like we have
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(11-05-2017, 06:30 PM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: Anyone else think our playbook and Bortles becomes better when we don't try to run it down the opposing teams defense 3x in a row with Fournette? Don't get me wrong, LF27 is an absolute beast but we don't need to abuse him like we have

They are stacking the box and Bortles is taking advantage of it

As long as no more messed up comments about Jacksonville home fans. He can be successful here.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017, 12:54 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

Considering where he was in the pre-season, he's come along well. We're still drafting a QB high next year and/or going after a proven vet though. Even if Bortles stays on and possibly gets better and we keep him, that rookie QB would end up netting us a future pick at some point. We'd find ourselves in a similar situation as the Patriots where they groom a back up and flip him for picks every few years. I think it's premature to say Blake is going to get there yet. He's playing well on the whole though.

(11-05-2017, 07:12 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Considering where he was in the pre-season, he's come a long well.  We're still drafting a QB high next year and/or going after a proven vet though.  Even if Bortles stays on and possibly gets better and we keep him, that rookie QB would end up netting us a future pick at some point.  We'd find ourselves in a similar situation as the Patriots where they groom a back up and flip him for picks every few years.  I think it's premature to say Blake is going to get there yet though.  He's playing well on the whole though.

Yeah that is what you do when you plan on picking at the bottom as well.  You have to play for the present and plan for the future.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

He's finally trusting the O line. It took him several games this season to finally do it. Would you have been comfortable standing in the pocket after what he's had to endure the last 3 seasons? He's gaining trust, a sense of rhythm, and what works for him. I think we'll start seeing the play books opened up a little more.