Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Based on FA who is the pick at #29?

Highest probability...
QB ...developmental to push Blake in 2019.
RG ...Cann becomes a quality backup.
RT ...Parnell is upgradeable.

Longer shot...
FS ...is Gipson really worth a $7m then $9m cap?
RB ...Ivory cut, not sold on Yeldon/Grant outside of 3rd downs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-15-2018, 05:39 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 03:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yes...which is why I asked for speculation, not definitive predictions.  It's not as if anyone would seriously call him out on being wrong on this point.

Appreciate that. Just think it’s really hard to guess which players will fall (and apologies for my slightly flippant reply)

Thinking back to previous drafts, the big fallers were people like Laremy Tunsil (video of drug taking appeared on draft day) along with players like Myles Jack and Reuben Foster who had previously undisclosed medical conditions.

And those are the ones you probably look out for.

But, I’ll have a go at this anyway...

We can probably expect Orlando Brown to slip after testing badly at the Combine, but we know Billy Price has an injury now - maybe that will cause him to fall a bit too.

And on the other side maybe teams will think Roquan Smith is a bit short?

Struggling a bit after that though.

Thoughts?

Hey...flippant can be fun.  Apologies unnecessary.

As for that bit of speculation, all of those theories make sense.

If a guy like Mike Mamula can rise due to a great combine and NOT due to college production, then conversely, a guy like Brown who stunk at the combine could fall for that very reason.

Guys like Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks fell due to size concerns.  Smith could too.

Sometimes, there's no readily discernible reason why a guy falls.

But I think the rush to get a young QB at the top of the draft can end up pushing other positional guys down lower than they otherwise would go.  A guy could drop even further depending upon the needs of the teams, their schemes, and their draft philosophies.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018, 06:50 AM by The Real Marty.)

I am wondering,  if Parnell can play Guard, we could draft a RT and kick Parnell inside.  I know we are going to need a RT pretty soon.  Parnell is not young.  And he's not fantastic, either.  

If you want to play keep-away football, then offensive line is the way to go.  Just tell the other team's offense, "You guys chill out for a while.  Go get some Gatorade.  We're going to do a 14 play drive now.  Don't worry.  We'll give the ball back eventually.  Probably a kickoff."  

My personal philosophy is, when in doubt, draft an offensive lineman.

I think it's a fun exercise to compare one guy's top 50 prospect rankings to another guy's mock draft, and see who "falls" to the 29th pick.  I did this in another thread, and when I compared Bucky Brooks' mock draft to MMQB's top 50 ranking, Connor Williams, OT, Texas, who was ranked #14 by MMQB, was still not drafted after 28 picks.

(03-15-2018, 01:26 AM)Bullseye Wrote: WR, QB, TE, G, and MLB are huge possibilities, IMO.

I would agree those are the top candidates.  My thoughts on the positions:

QB - As free agency has gone on, I more and more think this is what the Jaguars are planning to do.  They have made a very concerted effort to fill their major needs in free agency except quarterback.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

G - I would probably go with QB in the first and RG in the second since guards tend to drop.  I think right guard is one of the few positions where a 1st or even a 2nd rounder would be the favorite to start on this team.  Even if hypothetically the draft pick needed a year to develop, it isn't 100% bad.  He would provide quality depth in 2018 and Cann is a free agent in 2019.  We would be filling the spot in advance.  If I didn't like the available QB's in the first, I would go with a guard as my second choice.

MLB - I think we're definitely drafting one, but probably not in the first.  With putting a third cornerback on the field during passing plays and Jack and Smith as the two linebackers, our MLB is a part time position.  Barring injury, he only plays about a third of the defensive snaps.  As such, it would be less valued.  I definitely think we take one, but rounds 2, 3 or 4 are more likely. 

TE - It's a possibility, but I don't think they would have signed ASJ for $5 million per year if they were planning on going tight end in the 1st.  I also see a complete lack of agreement by mock drafters on the best tight end in the draft.  This suggests to me that there multiple tight ends in the draft who are fairly equal.  As such, even if we want a tight end, it might make more sense to wait until second round and see who's still there.

WR - Prior to free agency and after no franchise tag on A-Rob, I thought this would be the pick.  However, I have trouble seeing the Jaguars going wide receiver in the first after signing Moncrief and resigning Lee.  I think if they did go here at #29, it would mean that a wide receiver is there that the Jaguars didn't expect to be there.  It is a possibility, but I don't think likely.

I believe the pick will either be a QB or we will trade back into round 2.

(03-17-2018, 04:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 01:26 AM)Bullseye Wrote: WR, QB, TE, G, and MLB are huge possibilities, IMO.

I would agree those are the top candidates.  My thoughts on the positions:

QB - As free agency has gone on, I more and more think this is what the Jaguars are planning to do.  They have made a very concerted effort to fill their major needs in free agency except quarterback.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

G - I would probably go with QB in the first and RG in the second since guards tend to drop.  I think right guard is one of the few positions where a 1st or even a 2nd rounder would be the favorite to start on this team.  Even if hypothetically the draft pick needed a year to develop, it isn't 100% bad.  He would provide quality depth in 2018 and Cann is a free agent in 2019.  We would be filling the spot in advance.  If I didn't like the available QB's in the first, I would go with a guard as my second choice.

MLB - I think we're definitely drafting one, but probably not in the first.  With putting a third cornerback on the field during passing plays and Jack and Smith as the two linebackers, our MLB is a part time position.  Barring injury, he only plays about a third of the defensive snaps.  As such, it would be less valued.  I definitely think we take one, but rounds 2, 3 or 4 are more likely. 

TE - It's a possibility, but I don't think they would have signed ASJ for $5 million per year if they were planning on going tight end in the 1st.  I also see a complete lack of agreement by mock drafters on the best tight end in the draft.  This suggests to me that there multiple tight ends in the draft who are fairly equal.  As such, even if we want a tight end, it might make more sense to wait until second round and see who's still there.

WR - Prior to free agency and after no franchise tag on A-Rob, I thought this would be the pick.  However, I have trouble seeing the Jaguars going wide receiver in the first after signing Moncrief and resigning Lee.  I think if they did go here at #29, it would mean that a wide receiver is there that the Jaguars didn't expect to be there.  It is a possibility, but I don't think likely.

I think QB could well be a target for them at some point in the draft, but leaving only one QB on the roster going into the draft makes their intent for the position a bit obvious.  A Matt Moore type signing pre draft would not be a total shock.  Neither would drafting a guy like Rudolph in the first.

We agree on MLB, but I offer a couple of caveats.  First, if an ultra athletic MLB who is capable of playing three downs is somehow still on the board at 29, he becomes more of a consideration.  Not only would it make the base defense better, but it would give the defense versatility at LB, both schematically or cap wise down the road, in case Jack somehow becomes too expensive or otherwise no longer wants to stay.  Second, I think when we draft a MLB will depend upon how the team views Blair Brown.  I think Brown could slide into MLB and do a good job.  Of course, the coaches may or may not feel the same.  But if they are high on his ability to play Mike effectively, obviously that pushes MLB down the priority list.

At this point, I agree that the ASJ signing drops TE down the list of needs.  I think TE could still be taken, but not highly now.  I think part of the reason is that of the main candidates, only one is even remotely accomplished as an in line blocker-Goedert.  I could see a 4th or 6th round pick expended on a more athletically limited TE who is more accomplished at run blocking.

(03-15-2018, 03:09 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 11:05 PM)haveaseat Wrote: Is it just me or is all in line to be a QB potentially?

It's pretty scrambled up now thanks to lots of changes taking place over the past day or so.

For example, has it donned upon anyone that the Browns are NOW sans Joe Thomas. Do they now attempt to draft a franchise replacement? Do they wade down in the first, over-draft OT to get the player they want with 1-1 or 1-4, do the burn their picks first round picks then trade back in at the bottom with the Jaguars acquiring a second and a third?

In about three hundred computer draft simulations I've run OTs really do NOT start coming off the board until the last five or so picks in round one.

Oh yeah... I have this theory in progress that they're targetting Lamar Jackson possibly in a trade down situation after taking Saquon Barkley first overall. The trade down should also allow them to select a replacement OT like McGlinchy or Conner Williams. I see them dominating on the ground with Barkley, Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde with a backup QB in Jackson quickly learning the game from starter Tyrod Taylor.

What I'm envisioning is a scheme that employs a running QB with a good arm to be a game manager. Jackson might just really get the hang of playing in Cleveland with his uncanny way of figuring out what it takes to win games.  It's easy to fall in love with his game, that is if it actually does translate to the next level.

'02

(03-15-2018, 10:43 AM)Andy G Wrote: Vander Esch would be amazing.

Two questions though.

Where does he play?
(Weak side LB is Telvin, so is he strong side LB with Jack moving to Poz’s spot?)

And two, will he be available at 29?
(I think that like Hernandez, there is a good chance he will be gone by 29)

He's a bigger guy who would have no problem replacing Poz, but he could play the strongside just as well. Whatever the Jaguars want to do with their scheme, we know Telvin is the Will, and then they can plug Jack and Vander Esch in any way they see fit. The three of them might just be the most dominating LB trio in the league factoring in all the defensive talent around them.

'02

I could see it being Mason Rudolph

(03-18-2018, 08:54 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: I could see it being Mason Rudolph

I personally don't see him going until mid Rd 2
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(03-18-2018, 09:18 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 08:54 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: I could see it being Mason Rudolph

I personally don't see him going until mid Rd 2

I see no way he last that long. I also think he goes before Lamar Jackson.

(03-18-2018, 10:15 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 09:18 AM)Achilles Wrote: I personally don't see him going until mid Rd 2

I see no way he last that long. I also think he goes before Lamar Jackson.

I dont think he makes it to our pick

I think we need to decide who is the most likely veteran that we will need to cut after the season and start planning his replacement... and with in mind, I think DT is very weak. We need to be in a strong position to let Dareus and Malik Jackson walk asap.

I think its Josh Rosen via a monster trade with current and future draft picks.

(03-17-2018, 06:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I am wondering,  if Parnell can play Guard, we could draft a RT and kick Parnell inside.  I know we are going to need a RT pretty soon.  Parnell is not young.  And he's not fantastic, either.  

If you want to play keep-away football, then offensive line is the way to go.  Just tell the other team's offense, "You guys chill out for a while.  Go get some Gatorade.  We're going to do a 14 play drive now.  Don't worry.  We'll give the ball back eventually.  Probably a kickoff."  

My personal philosophy is, when in doubt, draft an offensive lineman.

I think it's a fun exercise to compare one guy's top 50 prospect rankings to another guy's mock draft, and see who "falls" to the 29th pick.  I did this in another thread, and when I compared Bucky Brooks' mock draft to MMQB's top 50 ranking, Connor Williams, OT, Texas, who was ranked #14 by MMQB, was still not drafted after 28 picks.

I can see an RT taken in the second, and a G taken in the fourth.

Say, a guy like Jamil Demby

Serious beef.  OT experience projecting as an NFL G.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I could see us taking Connor Williams if he makes it to our pick and also picking up a guard early

(03-19-2018, 05:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I could see us taking Connor Williams if he makes it to our pick and also picking up a guard early

Question for you.

If this happens, does the team cut Parnell to save money, move either he or Williams inside to guard, or let them both compete for the starting RT position?

I could see Parnell getting cut under those circumstances, but I would welcome him staying on the roster another year.  The depth and versatility with these guys on the roster would be amazing.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018, 07:42 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-19-2018, 06:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 05:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I could see us taking Connor Williams if he makes it to our pick and also picking up a guard early

Question for you.

If this happens, does the team cut Parnell to save money, move either he or Williams inside to guard, or let them both compete for the starting RT position?

I could see Parnell getting cut under those circumstances, but I would welcome him staying on the roster another year.  The depth and versatility with these guys on the roster would be amazing.
I think Doug would let him compete at RG and RT in TC but would ultimately beat out Cann at RG and I believe we would move him to RT next year

Williams would probably be my favorite choice of all the guys who might drop to pick 29. The reason I like him is that he would eventually replace Parnell, but for the time being could compete at guard. Other than quarterback, offensive tackle is now the main position in which a starter cannot afford to get injured. If Williams isn't available, Ty Crosby would be a possibility in the 2nd round.

We need a QB and two o-lineman in the first three rounds
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.