Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cheetah trade brewing

(03-23-2022, 02:35 PM)scottyg Wrote: Nice haul of picks by the Chiefs.  Now the Dolphins have to pay Hill ridiculous money on top of that.  I certainly wouldn't want to mortgage the future the way the fins did for someone with that much domestic baggage.
But this is what you do when you have a QB on a rookie deal.

Take advantage of the entire roster when you have a QB making peanuts compared to the stars.

When the Jags roster is finally ready, they will likely have to give Lawrence 300 million dollars and then lose other stars.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hill is a good player, but an absolute scumbag. Don’t understand him going to Miami given their terrible QB situation. Also a ridiculous amount of money for a WR.

(03-23-2022, 01:24 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: people try to tell me no big name players want to come to jacksonville cause of the loseing. The guppies lost to the jags,yet they are getting Tyrik hill. Jags refuse to go after the big name players.

Bullseye can you explian why a big name player would want to go play for the guppuies who lose just as much as the jags do.

No way in Hell I'd give up that much draft capital and then have to pay that man 120 mil, hard pass. And I thought the Kirk deal was atrocious, lol. Hill is a deep threat, does Tua even have enough arm to hit him deep?

I would have rather had Terron Armstead. We should have done that deal and let cam walk. Lt would have been locked for 5 yrs.

Let's hope that this is the beginning of the end for the Chiefs 'dynasty'. The division around them is only getting better.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-23-2022, 01:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 12:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Still can't bet against Reid/Mahomes but a lot of AFC teams are loaded right now.

Side note. This is the type of move I wanted the Jags to make all off season. I love the Kirk signing but they should have also traded for a proven #1 receiver. Fins have done really well in the off season.

I am dismayed on some level to know we could have gotten either Amari Cooper or Tyreek Hill.

The AFC arms race has spread to the AFC East.

The Dolphins now have given Tua all the support he could possibly need.

They have either retained or added:

TE Mike Gesicki
WR Jaylen Waddle
WR Tyreek Hill
LT Terron Armstead

THAT is an impressive offseason.

I've been begging for a #1 receiver, but I wouldn't even have inquired about Hill. I loathe men who beat up on women and little kids. He just wouldn't be worth it.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 10:49 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(03-23-2022, 06:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 01:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am dismayed on some level to know we could have gotten either Amari Cooper or Tyreek Hill.

The AFC arms race has spread to the AFC East.

The Dolphins now have given Tua all the support he could possibly need.

They have either retained or added:

TE Mike Gesicki
WR Jaylen Waddle
WR Tyreek Hill
LT Terron Armstead

THAT is an impressive offseason.

I've been begging for a #1 receiver, but I wouldn't even have inquired about Hill. I loathe men who beat up on women and little kids. He just wouldn't be worth it.

Agreed. I wouldn’t pay DeShaun a dime either.  He’s a scumbag and wasn’t the same after Hopkins got traded. No way he’s worth three 1st rounders. Russel Wilson was the only QB worth trading for this off-season.

(03-23-2022, 04:37 PM)surfon Wrote: I would have rather had Terron Armstead.  We should have done that deal and let cam walk.  Lt would have been locked for 5 yrs.

Problem with Armstead is that he’s the Linder of tackles. He can’t finish a season.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-23-2022, 01:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 01:24 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: people try to tell me no big name players want to come to jacksonville cause of the loseing. The guppies lost to the jags,yet they are getting Tyrik hill. Jags refuse to go after the big name players.

Bullseye can you explian why a big name player would want to go play for the guppuies who lose just as much as the jags do.

The Dolphins have not lost just as much as the Jaguars over the last decade or the last two years to be sure.  In the last two years, the Dolphins have won NINETEEN (19) games, although neither season resulted in the playoffs.  We could go back the last four seasons and the Jaguars (15 wins) still wouldn't have as many wins as Miami did in the last two.

That said, different players have different motivations in choosing a team.

Some players are money driven.  If Miami offered more cash than another team, it makes sense a money driven player would choose Miami.

Some players want a more exciting nightlife in a more glamorous locale than Jacksonville.  If I were a young, rich and famous athlete who liked to party, Miami would be alluring.  Recall a few years back when the Jaguars pursued DE Olivier Vernon in free agency.  He chose to go to the Giants, and he specifically cited he wanted to live in a bigger city as a reason for his choice.

Some players might choose Miami because their scheme may be a better fit for them than another team's.

Some players will go where they are wanted.  Jacksonville may not have expressed interest.

I haven't looked into the backgrounds of the players involved, but some players might be from the Miami area and want to play at home.  If you recall, we signed a free agent this year in CB Darious Williams, who is from Jacksonville.  He chose to sign with the Jaguars in part because he is from here.

Understanding those reasons, I would urge you to consider that adding big names should not be the sole motivation in signing a free agent.  Washington used to add big names every offseason, bringing aboard guys like Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders.   As big names are concerned, it they don't get much bigger than those two guys.  However, both guys were finished by the time they got to Washington and they became examples as to the folly of name chasing.  The likelihood pf playing at a high level, fit under the cap, scheme fit, locker room fit, etc, should all be considerations for a team signing a player in free agency.

Also understand this was a trade of a player.  Hill may not have wanted to leave Kansas City, and he may not have been itching to go to Miami, but he may not have had a no trade clause in his contract.  He may not have been expecting this trade.

Straight from Tyreek Hill's mouth...https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/23/tyreek-hill-thanks-chiefs-teammates-fans-but-is-excited-to-go-home/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 10:36 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

My feeling is that when you trade multiple high draft choices for a player, and then sign that player to a huge new contract, you are getting one player for the price of two. 

That's why I don't like that method of acquiring players.  People think Christian Kirk was too expensive.  But look at the total cost of Davante Adams or Tyreek Hill.  It's a huge contract plus multiple premium draft picks.

(03-23-2022, 05:50 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Let's hope that this is the beginning of the end for the Chiefs 'dynasty'.  The division around them is only getting better.

Replacing the skill set of Tyreek Hill will indeed be difficult. 

One thing in particular I strongly believe though is the Chiefs, based on their history under Andy Reid, will be proactive in addressing the WR position. I think the most likely outcome is the Chiefs trade for a # 1 WR AND use a 2022 draft pick in the top 2 rounds on a WR.  

With the other 3 teams in the AFC West making huge upgrades on their respective rosters, the Bills adding Von Miler, the Browns adding DeShaun Watson, and to a lesser extent Tennessee adding Robert Woods, the path to the Super Bowl in the AFC for Kansas City will be much more difficult.  That much more with Joe Burrow, who led the Cincinnati Bengals to 2 wins over the Chiefs in a short period of time, will be playing with an upgraded Offensive Line, and the Ravens likely being a much healthier team than was the case in the recently completed season.

(03-24-2022, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My feeling is that when you trade multiple high draft choices for a player, and then sign that player to a huge new contract, you are getting one player for the price of two. 

That's why I don't like that method of acquiring players.  People think Christian Kirk was too expensive.  But look at the total cost of Davante Adams or Tyreek Hill.  It's a huge contract plus multiple premium draft picks.

There is once extenuating difference here though. Adams and Hill are elite NFL receivers and Kirk is an average slot receiver. Of course Adams and Hill are gonna get ridiculous contracts. It's like comparing the deal Aaron Rodgers got to the one Ryan Tannenhill has. The difference in talent level usually always shows in the contract. Kirk is extremely overpriced for being an average player. That's why people were disparaging the deal he got.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 05:03 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-24-2022, 03:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My feeling is that when you trade multiple high draft choices for a player, and then sign that player to a huge new contract, you are getting one player for the price of two. 

There is once extenuating difference here though. Adams and Hill are elite NFL receivers and Kirk is an average slot receiver. Of course Adams and Hill are gonna get ridiculous contracts. It's like comparing the deal Aaron Rodgers got to the one Ryan Tannenhill has. The difference in talent level usually always shows in the contract. Kirk is extremely overpriced for being an average player. That's why people were disparaging the deal he got.

Of course they got ridiculous contracts.  I'm talking about the total cost of those guys, which was the ridiculous contract PLUS multiple premium draft picks.  Talk about mortgaging your future!  Like the Davante Adams deal, to trade a first round pick plus multiple other draft picks for a WR, and then also give him a contract that averages $28 million per year???  That's getting one player for the price of two.

(03-24-2022, 05:02 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 03:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: There is once extenuating difference here though. Adams and Hill are elite NFL receivers and Kirk is an average slot receiver. Of course Adams and Hill are gonna get ridiculous contracts. It's like comparing the deal Aaron Rodgers got to the one Ryan Tannenhill has. The difference in talent level usually always shows in the contract. Kirk is extremely overpriced for being an average player. That's why people were disparaging the deal he got.

Of course they got ridiculous contracts.  I'm talking about the total cost of those guys, which was the ridiculous contract PLUS multiple premium draft picks.  Talk about mortgaging your future!  Like the Davante Adams deal, to trade a first round pick plus multiple other draft picks for a WR, and then also give him a contract that averages $28 million per year???  That's getting one player for the price of two.

@what you fail to account for though is all the comp picks we lose by paying for FA@