Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sean Payton to take over as Broncos Head coach

(02-06-2023, 06:13 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Russel Wilson wasn't the problem (in my opinion) Nat Hacket sucks. Watch Wilson have a crazy year under Payton

We shall see, I never got the feeling that the locker room was behind Russ. If they don't win early, that team is going to be a shambles.

What was it Bart Scott said?  "Can't Wait!"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sounds like Russ was doing his best Brady impression (except he’s not him) by having his own trainers in the building. Payton shut the idea of that continuing down real quick.

I think that was the biggest part of the mistake of hiring Nate Hackett. He’s a nobody. Russ is a somebody. Can’t have a nobody telling a somebody what to do. Not enough clout.

(02-05-2023, 08:51 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Always thought Sean Payton was pretty overrated.

I guess we'll see now how much of Sean Payton's success was Drew Brees and how much was Sean Payton.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-07-2023, 07:44 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Sounds like Russ was doing his best Brady impression (except he’s not him) by having his own trainers in the building.  Payton shut the idea of that continuing down real quick.

I think that was the biggest part of the mistake of hiring Nate Hackett.  He’s a nobody.  Russ is a somebody.  Can’t have a nobody telling a somebody what to do.  Not enough clout.

Payton has his work cut out for him with Wilson. 
Wilson seems to be in diva-head-case-mode full tilt right now. 

Shutting down the notion of Wilson calling shots on trainers, personal coaches etc is a good first step IMO.

If Wilson decides to take some tough coaching and buys in on Payton's system, the broncos will be fine.
It's not a bad roster. 

They just had a new HC that should have remained in his wheelhouse as a coordinator, and a celebrity QB with his head in the clouds of an alternate universe - alienating his teammates and not buying in. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they finish at .500 or better in Payton's first year. 

Sean Payton managed to pull off winning seasons in NOLA with Bridgewater and Taysom Hill behind center. Wilson can be better than that if he buys in.

Will go on record now and say that Denver not only finishes above .500 in 2023 but they also win at least one play-off game.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-08-2023, 12:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Will go on record now and say that Denver not only finishes above .500 in 2023 but they also win at least one play-off game.

As NYC mentions above, that’s if Russ can get out of his own way.  If he can, I would agree that they finish above .500.  

I’d hold off on predicting playoff performance though.  What if they draw us in the 1st round?

(02-08-2023, 01:25 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 12:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Will go on record now and say that Denver not only finishes above .500 in 2023 but they also win at least one play-off game.

As NYC mentions above, that’s if Russ can get out of his own way.  If he can, I would agree that they finish above .500.  

I’d hold off on predicting playoff performance though.  What if they draw us in the 1st round?

They won't. We're getting the first week off. =)
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-07-2023, 10:52 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 08:51 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Always thought Sean Payton was pretty overrated.

I guess we'll see now how much of Sean Payton's success was Drew Brees and how much was Sean Payton.

Well, to counter my argument, Drew Brees wasn't "great" when Sean got him. He was coming off a shoulder injury, but he also just wasn't "great" in San Diego. Good? yes. Great? nah.

I do think Sean Payton deserves credit for helping to mature and get the most out of Brees. I just don't know if he's worth all the hype. Hype is more dangerous than heroin.

(02-08-2023, 01:25 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

Russ is a very talented qb, i think its more likely the coaching in denver that had that offense looking terrible. Hackett is not a good oc let alone hc.

(02-09-2023, 01:41 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 01:25 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: As NYC mentions above, that’s if Russ can get out of his own way.  If he can, I would agree that they finish above .500.  

Russ is a very talented qb, i think its more likely the coaching in denver that had that offense looking terrible. Hackett is not a good oc let alone hc.

Go watch three Denver games with Wilson at QB and rethink this 

Also - it is hilarious that people keep calling him a bad OC when he has had offenses ranked #1, #5 and #10 in the league + multiple playoff wins and three of his seasons as OC have ended with an appearance in the conference championship game. 

Bad OCs don't do that.

Is Sean Payton really a "culture fixing" kind of guy? The guy who let Bounty Gate happen? That Sean Payton?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2023, 02:28 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-09-2023, 08:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 01:41 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Russ is a very talented qb, i think its more likely the coaching in denver that had that offense looking terrible. Hackett is not a good oc let alone hc.

Go watch three Denver games with Wilson at QB and rethink this 

Also - it is hilarious that people keep calling him a bad OC when he has had offenses ranked #1, #5 and #10 in the league + multiple playoff wins and three of his seasons as OC have ended with an appearance in the conference championship game. 

Bad OCs don't do that.

Agree. Bad HC but not bad OC. For whatever reasons, he wasn't ready.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-09-2023, 01:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: Is Sean Payton really a "culture fixing" kind of guy? The guy who let Bounty Gate happen? That Sean Payton?

Sounds like a Winning Culture to me.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-09-2023, 06:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 01:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: Is Sean Payton really a "culture fixing" kind of guy? The guy who let Bounty Gate happen? That Sean Payton?

Sounds like a Winning Culture to me.

13-3
11-5 
13-3 

Those are their records during the alleged bounty gate scandal

Looks a lot like a lot of winning indeed

(02-09-2023, 06:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 06:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Sounds like a Winning Culture to me.

13-3
11-5 
13-3 

You can win with a terrible culture.  Take a look at the 2008 Florida Gators.  By culture we mean, do the players put the team first(good), or are they divas (bad).  RW lately seems like a diva, and I see no reason to believe Payton would be the one to bring him back to earth.  Payton strikes me as much more of an X's and O's guy than an "I'm going to inspire you to be a better teammate" guy.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The plus with Payton is that he will not hesitate to bench Wilson if he underperforms.

Congrats to Wilson winning DPOY

(02-10-2023, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Congrats to Wilson winning DPOY
Is Elijah Moore still the true #1 on that team? Lol

(02-09-2023, 08:02 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 06:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 13-3
11-5 
13-3 

You can win with a terrible culture.  Take a look at the 2008 Florida Gators.  By culture we mean, do the players put the team first(good), or are they divas (bad).  RW lately seems like a diva, and I see no reason to believe Payton would be the one to bring him back to earth.  Payton strikes me as much more of an X's and O's guy than an "I'm going to inspire you to be a better teammate" guy.

I'm not going to speculate on exactly what Sean Payton's ability to inspire change and instill a uniform culture might be.
I'm not sure of it. 

I'll just say that he had a lot of guys bought in for a long time in New Orleans and many of them were fiercely loyal to the program. Bounty gate is a remnant of a lost era in football that the DC got away with for a while and it doesn't color my opinion of Payton. 

He's not a big sunshine and rainbows guy from what I can tell but he's a good head coach that players respect.

If he can get Wilson to respect him and accept some tough love coaching - then he's got a good shot at turning around that program, and probably a better shot than most (if not all of) the other coaching candidates available.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 09:21 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-10-2023, 09:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Congrats to Wilson winning DPOY
Is Elijah Moore still the true #1 on that team? Lol

Looked like there is an issue with him and the coaching staff remember?  He wanted to be traded and the coaching staff didn't play him for weeks.  He still can be if they get a QB and him and the coaching staff make up.