Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles's ability to grasp the NFL playbook.

Quote:Dameshek should be fired, his content is terrible, his show is terrible, and he has no clue what he's talking about half the time.

This

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:what's funny is a guy like Blaine Gabbert probably would ace the playbook test.

any time somebody says "people within the organization" you can be sure it's completely false

Leftwich, too.

If it were true, we'd be looking for a safety net.

Newton wasn't much of a playbook guy (a lot of one read run/pass in college,) but he's certainly become one.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Haha, oh man. Talk about flinging it at the wall.

Can't wait for week 10 when Bortles has already thrown twenty-plus TDs when this guy starts running his mouth about how he always believed in Bortles ability.

He's just a Steelers fan mad that the Jaguars beat them twice at home.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Who in the hell is Dave Dameshek?  Seriously I've never heard of the guy.

I do love the weekly shek report.
Jags 4 Life

Dave Dumbasheck shouldn't be taken serious

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016, 06:51 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Dave Dameshek: "From people within the organization, I have been told there is some concern about Blake [Bortles]'s ability to grasp the NFL playbook."

Any thoughts? A)Don't know much about this Dameshek guy he seems like a bit of a joke and B)Not a big shock if true,Bortles isn't really a cerebral kind of QB.

Seems kind of nonsensical to me.  It's the kind of rumor that might be floated after Blake's first season, but after his second season?  

I could see someone in the organization saying something like "Blake has to continue his progress in mastering the playbook..." and that somehow getting blown up into "some concern about his ability to master the playbook."  

Anyway, Blake doesn't have to play any better to get us into the playoffs, it's the defense that has to play better.  Besides, it's only his 3rd season coming up.  

Quote: 

Anyway, Blake doesn't have to play any better to get us into the playoffs, it's the defense that has to play better.  Besides, it's only his 3rd season coming up.  
I disagree here.

I think Bortles needs to cut down on the turnovers and work on getting rid of the ball more quickly to avoid unnecessary sacks, many of which from both categories seemingly were borne from him trying to do too much.  But like Roethlisberger, the player with whom he draws the most comparisons, I think some of that simply comes with the territory with those guys.

Not bashing Blake at all with the above critique.  I am thrilled with his progress thus far and look forward to seeing him take the next steps.

I think this improvement  will come with experience.  Another year in this system...another year reading defenses, studying film and just learning through trial and error.

Bortles is a huge reason why the future here is so promising.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Can't stand to listen to the dude talk. He's like an un-funny Charlie Day.

Quote:I disagree here.

I think Bortles needs to cut down on the turnovers and work on getting rid of the ball more quickly to avoid unnecessary sacks, many of which from both categories seemingly were borne from him trying to do too much.  But like Roethlisberger, the player with whom he draws the most comparisons, I think some of that simply comes with the territory with those guys.

Not bashing Blake at all with the above critique.  I am thrilled with his progress thus far and look forward to seeing him take the next steps.

I think this improvement  will come with experience.  Another year in this system...another year reading defenses, studying film and just learning through trial and error.

Agreed. I view Bortles progression like this:

Year 1: Just play in the pros. Get used to the speed/play calling in the pro game.

Year 2: Develop his mechanics. Throwing motion, receiver chemistry, learn the new system.

Year 3: Better understanding of defenses. Game is continuing to slow down, he's getting a real feel for how to manipulate pro defenses.

Obviously those are very basic descriptions, but you get the idea.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

If only the playbook could teach him to throw a fade.

Seriously though, a few times last year I was marveling at just how well Blake was able to grasp Oley's system. Listening to him talk at times you can really tell just how much he totally gets it. This reminds me of the Jaguars former head coach who is currently coaching the Titans. That is, it's total Mularkey.

'02

Quote:If only the playbook could teach him to throw a fade.

Seriously though, a few times last year I was marveling at just how well Blake was able to grasp Oley's system. Listening to him talk at times you can really tell just how much he totally gets it. This reminds me of the Jaguars former head coach who is currently coaching the Titans. That is, it's total Mularkey.
Maybe it was just Fisch's crappy playbook?

Guy has already had 2 offesnsive systems thrown at him.  Last year they cut down on what he had to do to help his development.  He worked hard on physical aspects of the game and becoming a pro.  This year they are probably hitting him with the total package.  It is a process and he seems committed to it.  I would have concerns if there were stories about him being disinterested or not willing to put in the work.  Heck if we had smoke screen reports about all of the time put into film study because the organization is trying to soothe fans (aka all the Gabert stories).

Having talent at WR and a legitimate TE helped last year.  Give this guy a line, improved running game and the ability to run through progressions and he will not only grasp the playbook he will master it.

My question back is has Luck "mastered" the playbook?  Probably not because that dude has been running for his life too.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I disagree here.

Sure, in order to get better, Blake needs to do all the things you list, but to get into the playoffs, my opinion is, we need to shore up the weak parts of the team, and I don't think Blake was one of the weak parts of the team.    It's possible to get into the playoffs at 9-7, that record should put us in the mix, and if you look at last season, the reason we were 5-11 instead of 9-7 wasn't Blake, it was the defense and the running game.  

So we are going to differ on this, because I think last year's Blake could easily get us into the playoffs with a better team around him.  

Quote:Sure, in order to get better, Blake needs to do all the things you list, but to get into the playoffs, my opinion is, we need to shore up the weak parts of the team, and I don't think Blake was one of the weak parts of the team. It's possible to get into the playoffs at 9-7, that record should put us in the mix, and if you look at last season, the reason we were 5-11 instead of 9-7 wasn't Blake, it was the defense and the running game.

So we are going to differ on this, because I think last year's Blake could easily get us into the playoffs with a better team around him.

Their was costly turnovers as well from Blake and others... Bad snaps, missed field goals, bad game management, that finger can be pointed in a lot of places even at Bortles..

Quote:Sure, in order to get better, Blake needs to do all the things you list, but to get into the playoffs, my opinion is, we need to shore up the weak parts of the team, and I don't think Blake was one of the weak parts of the team.    It's possible to get into the playoffs at 9-7, that record should put us in the mix, and if you look at last season, the reason we were 5-11 instead of 9-7 wasn't Blake, it was the defense and the running game.  

I agree in the scheme of things,  Bortles is still a strength of the team and last year's defense was a huge weakness.

However, there were turnovers Bortles had last year (to be expected under the circumstances) that absolutely KILLED this team-the pick 6 against Carolina, the INT against Tampa, the pick 6 against Houston, the INT right before halftime at the goal line against Atlanta-that were huge differences in thosee games.

In light of your post, my point is if we are hovering around the 9-7 mark and still in the playoff hunt, turnovers of that nature could derail any playoff shot.

Quote:Agreed. I view Bortles progression like this:

Year 1: Just play in the pros. Get used to the speed/play calling in the pro game.

Year 2: Develop his mechanics. Throwing motion, receiver chemistry, learn the new system.

Year 3: Better understanding of defenses. Game is continuing to slow down, he's getting a real feel for how to manipulate pro defenses.

Obviously those are very basic descriptions, but you get the idea.
Agreed completely.

In fact, he's shown a lot of signs of year 3 development already.

Now that there is offensive continuity, I'm eager to see him and the offense overall.  For that matter, the defense should be improved enough such that there isn't so much pressure on Bortles and the offense to score so many points.  The offense should be able to run the ball more and be more effective overall.

My concern about the offense at this stage is the offensive line.  If the OL can provide better protection-along with BB making quicker reads (receivers too), I can easily see more wins for us this year.

Quote:I agree in the scheme of things,  Bortles is still a strength of the team and last year's defense was a huge weakness.

However, there were turnovers Bortles had last year (to be expected under the circumstances) that absolutely KILLED this team-the pick 6 against Carolina, the INT against Tampa, the pick 6 against Houston, the INT right before halftime at the goal line against Atlanta-that were huge differences in thosee games.

In light of your post, my point is if we are hovering around the 9-7 mark and still in the playoff hunt, turnovers of that nature could derail any playoff shot.

Well, of course.   So could a fumble, or a blown coverage, or a missed tackle.  

The question is, does Blake have to get better in order to get this team into the playoffs.  No, he doesn't.   If the people around him get better, we can make the playoffs with the exact same Blake Bortles as we had last year.   Heck, if we could have a defense like Seattle, we could go deep into the playoffs with the exact same Blake Bortles.   Forgive me for being argumentative, but the issue we are debating is very clearly defined.

"Blake doesn't have to play any better to get us into the playoffs."  

No, he does not.   He can play exactly the same and get us into the playoffs, if the people around him play better.  Because he is not the weak point of this team, and he is not the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year.  In fact, I doubt last year's team could have made the playoffs with Tom Brady at QB. 

As long as he knows where Arob , Burns and JT are on the field he doesn't need a playbook.