Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dave Caldwell 26th best GM in league

Dave's only truly bad moves thus far have been selecting the Gus Bus to be his head coach and then bringing the bus around for a 4th lap this offseason. With a good head coach Dave would be widely considered one of the best GMs in the league right now. Just having the strength of conviction to select Bortles was huge.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

26th is about right.

Year 4 needs to start paying off in W's... otherwise he (and the rest of the team) is what his record says he is.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Until the team starts winning, can't rank DC any higher. I think he's the best GM we have had in a long time.... probably ever. No GM bats 100%, but his 2014 draft was pretty incredible. 2013 was bad, but I can't put all the blame on him because he didn't have his scouting staff yet.
No commercial messages in sigs

You are what your record says you are
A good loser is a good loser

His worse is Gus by far then Joeckel.

J. Thomas? seriously? after 1 season where he missed some games?

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I forgot....

26?? but according to some people in here he is one of the best in the league LOL

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

This writer is garbage. Caldwell is clearly ranked #19 or #23, but definitely not #26. This has me so mad I think I'll kick the dog.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:If you think signing Julius was his worst move, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Right.

When he played, Julius Thomas performed as well as his contract implied.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Dude has to be top 10. Reasoning for it is qb. If you miss on that ya toast.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:According to USA Today article that ranks all the GMs 1 to 32, Dave Caldwell is ranked 26th.  

link: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/ranking-...l-managers

I dont think J Thomas was that bad of a FA signing, he's injury simply made it harder for him to shine last season...

I understand the ranking though, you can't have 3 years of only winning 4 games per season & be rated higher... the fact that he wiffed on Luke with his very first pick didn't help (that wouldve been my worst for him).

This is the year for him & Gus to prove that they dont stink... I have faith in them... I think Allen Hurns Undrafted Allen Robinson & M. Lee in the 2nd, Telvin Smith in the 5th and signing Gipson & Jackson in Free Agency could be his saving grace as long as they remain healthy...

Bortles was def. his best move in my opinion as good as AR15 is & even though Bortles struggled a bit as a rookie (its really hard to find a great franchise QB & this year nobody will doubt him).

Quote:His worse is Gus by far then Joeckel.

J. Thomas? seriously? after 1 season where he missed some games?

I mean JT is a receiving TE not blocking & he was injured by the time he was really healthy & ready to play Bortles had already established good chemistry with Allen Brothers..

Quote:ARob is great, but his best move was trading Gabbert for anything of value.

Lol this was what I was thinking immediately. We managed to get a pick not just for him but for Scobee who quickly flamed out in Pittsburgh too. 

Quote: 

<div>2012 Jacksonville Jaguars final roster (from wikipedia)

Defensive linemen
93 Tyson Alualu DT
58 Jason Babin DE
97 John Chick DE
96 Terrance Knighton DT
92 Austen Lane DE
70 Jerome Long DT
99 C. J. Mosley DT
98 Jeris Pendleton DT
91 George Selvie DE

Linebackers
50 Russell Allen OLB
56 Kyle Bosworth OLB
53 Brandon Marshall OLB
51 Paul Posluszny MLB
52 Daryl Smith OLB
57 Julian Stanford OLB

Defensive backs
38 Antwon Blake CB
21 Derek Cox CB
20 Mike Harris CB
26 Dawan Landry SS
27 Rashean Mathis CB
36 Antwaun Molden CB
42 Chris Prosinski FS
31 Aaron Ross CB
22 Kevin Rutland CB

I don't know.  DBs maybe are better.  Linebackers probably worse.  D-Line possibly better.  Pretty close.  

DBS are lightyears better - House way over Cox , Gipson even not having touched the field in teal is 10000x better then Chris "Where is the ball" Prosinski , Colvin easily better then Mike Harris and even Amukamara is better then any corner on that list including an aging Rashean Mathis. Landry vs Cyp is even. 

At LB we are weaker but not by a ton Telvin helps that alot and even Skuta is a decent-solid player. Poz has aged so will concede that. 

On the D-line Marks/Jackson is better then any combo of DTs on that list by a long shot and thats going with what they have already done. Bennett has shown more flash then guys like Pendleton and Mosley did. Chick was/is way better then Branch so i'll give you that. Fowler while unknown could net 5 sacks and be instantly better then any DE on that list but Babin who was already a long career vet. 

Overall on paper the current  defensive roster should easily outclass the 2012 lineup. 

</div>

I'd rank Howie Roseman around #30, not 23.  Since taking over the Eagles in 2010, he totally destroyed the team, who were consistently good under Andy Reid.  To me, that may be worse than just being consistently bad.  Also, shame on him if indeed he took his hands off of the power and gave it all to Chip Kelley.

Quote:Overall on paper the current  defensive roster should easily outclass the 2012 lineup. 

If it doesn't, we're in trouble.  They were arguably the worst defense in the league.  The whole team had 20 sacks.  Mularkey's team was somehow worse than it was on paper.

Quote:... the fact that he wiffed on Luke with his very first pick didn't help (that wouldve been my worst for him).

I can't really fault him for the Joekel pick considering the guy was the consensus best player in the draft, and that at #2 something like 29 out of the 32 GMs would have picked him. That was the most "no brainer" pick the Jaguars have had since Shack selected Marcedes Lewis. It's just a shame he never reached his anticipated potential.

'02

I'm perfectly fine with the ranking.  His picks haven't had the time to mature and show what they can really do.

Julius Thomas as the worst move is laughable.  Gerhart, heck we just cut a guy we signed last year even though we didn't lose any cap space because of it.

26th best GM huh?

Well, it wasn't that long ago where our GM would have been ranked dead last at 32, so this just means our GM ranking is moving up.

Just 7 more spots to move up before he reaches inside the top 20.

Come on Dave, have a great 2016 draft, and season, and continue to raise your GM ranking.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

The 26th ranking includes Beadles and Gerhart.

He should have gone after Louis Vasquez and Adrian Peterson instead.

Hindsight 20-20

Cyprien was also a terrible pick.   He had 24 hours to sit on it cause we picked 1st in the second round.  Cyprien flat out sucks

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]