Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dave Caldwell 26th best GM in league

According to USA Today article that ranks all the GMs 1 to 32, Dave Caldwell is ranked 26th.  

Quote: 

26. David Caldwell, Jaguars

<p style="font-family:Aleo, serif;font-size:18px;color:rgb(68,68,68);">I wanted to rank Caldwell higher on this list. I really did. I like the approach he’s taken to re-building the Jaguars. It’s been a slow burn and we’re now starting to see Jacksonville spend the cap space the front office has been cultivating over the last few years. But outside of a few good draft picks on the offensive side, the roster still lacks talent. The defense isn’t much better than it was when Caldwell took over for Gene Smith (who might be the worst GM of all-time). Sometimes the right approach isn’t enough.

Best move: Drafting Allen Robinson 61st overall in 2014.

<p style="font-family:Aleo, serif;font-size:18px;color:rgb(68,68,68);">Worst move: Signing Julius Thomas.

link: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/ranking-...l-managers

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Can't really disagree.  While Caldwell has hit on a few picks he also had struck out on other big picks.  I would rank him around 20th.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

What?  Signing Julius Thomas was his worst move?  I'd say it was Tobias Gerhart.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:What?  Signing Julius Thomas was his worst move?  I'd say it was Tobias Gerhart.

I'd say his best move in the long run will be drafting Bortles.  His worst move, who knows.  He hasn't done anything catastrophic yet.  Just some of his journeymen players haven't worked out.  If Gus Bradley ends up getting fired before making the playoffs, that would be his worst move.

Quote:If Gus Bradley ends up getting fired before making the playoffs, that would be his worst move.

Firing Gus could never be his worst move.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The defense isn’t much better than it was when Caldwell took over for Gene Smith (who might be the worst GM of all-time)

[Image: roflmao.gif]

Quote:[Image: roflmao.gif]

2012 Jacksonville Jaguars final roster (from wikipedia)

Defensive linemen
93 Tyson Alualu DT
58 Jason Babin DE
97 John Chick DE
96 Terrance Knighton DT
92 Austen Lane DE
70 Jerome Long DT
99 C. J. Mosley DT
98 Jeris Pendleton DT
91 George Selvie DE

Linebackers
50 Russell Allen OLB
56 Kyle Bosworth OLB
53 Brandon Marshall OLB
51 Paul Posluszny MLB
52 Daryl Smith OLB
57 Julian Stanford OLB

Defensive backs
38 Antwon Blake CB
21 Derek Cox CB
20 Mike Harris CB
26 Dawan Landry SS
27 Rashean Mathis CB
36 Antwaun Molden CB
42 Chris Prosinski FS
31 Aaron Ross CB
22 Kevin Rutland CB

I don't know.  DBs maybe are better.  Linebackers probably worse.  D-Line possibly better.  Pretty close.  

Quote:I'd say his best move in the long run will be drafting Bortles.  His worst move, who knows.  He hasn't done anything catastrophic yet.  Just some of his journeymen players haven't worked out.  If Gus Bradley ends up getting fired before making the playoffs, that would be his worst move.
I totally agree with you

[Image: giphy.gif]

DC should be ranked in the top 5!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Who really cares? Our team is better.

Julius Thomas as the worst move? This guy has no clue.

Julius Thomas, who will catch 12 TDs in 2016?  That Julius Thomas?

If you think signing Julius was his worst move, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote: 

<div>2012 Jacksonville Jaguars final roster (from wikipedia)

Defensive linemen
93 Tyson Alualu DT
58 Jason Babin DE
97 John Chick DE
96 Terrance Knighton DT
92 Austen Lane DE
70 Jerome Long DT
99 C. J. Mosley DT
98 Jeris Pendleton DT
91 George Selvie DE

</div>
Chick was pretty good before the injury,Knighton was good, Babich =/= Clemons, Mosley was also a decent player. The line is better now but not by a mile.  Fowler will be the x factor.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Pretty bad write up IMO. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put him in the top 15 right now, but 26 seems a bit low for my taste. I prob put him a few spots earlier around say 20?

Obviously things could fall apart and become far worse but I also believe he's getting better as a GM.

ARob is great, but his best move was trading Gabbert for anything of value.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:2012 Jacksonville Jaguars final roster (from wikipedia)

Defensive linemen

93 Tyson Alualu DT

58 Jason Babin DE

97 John Chick DE

96 Terrance Knighton DT

92 Austen Lane DE

70 Jerome Long DT

99 C. J. Mosley DT

98 Jeris Pendleton DT

91 George Selvie DE

Linebackers

50 Russell Allen OLB

56 Kyle Bosworth OLB

53 Brandon Marshall OLB

51 Paul Posluszny MLB

52 Daryl Smith OLB

57 Julian Stanford OLB

Defensive backs

38 Antwon Blake CB

21 Derek Cox CB

20 Mike Harris CB

26 Dawan Landry SS

27 Rashean Mathis CB

36 Antwaun Molden CB

42 Chris Prosinski FS

31 Aaron Ross CB

22 Kevin Rutland CB

That makes me wanna throw up

Quote:According to USA Today article that ranks all the GMs 1 to 32, Dave Caldwell is ranked 26th.  

link: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/ranking-...l-managers

If signing Julius Thomas is Dave's worst move to date, I'd say that's pretty darn good.

'02

Quote:Julius Thomas, who will catch 12 TDs in 2016?  That Julius Thomas?

Yes... the NFL's breakout player for 2016.... that one.

'02

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016, 07:54 PM by Doc Holliday904.)

Oh and Gerhart was by far his worst signing. Wasnt a fan when it happened