Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
IF Tunsil Drops to 5, Does Caldwell do it?

I would no doubt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If he is rated as the best player on the board at that point with no one else comparable in talent then yes, you take him.

Don't worry about who is on your team now, worry about which player is the best left in the draft and take that guy. Imagine if the Jaguars had taken Jon Ogden in 1996 instead of Kevin Hardy. Let him play right tackle until Boselli leaves and then move him over and don't miss a beat for another seven seasons. I think it was Vic that used to say it, but you never regret taking a great player.

If Tunsil drops to 5, I think DC does choose him as best player on the board, and assuming he has been active in free agency and filled his needs.  If he has not filled his priority needs (ie. pass rusher), I would hope he entertain a trade down offer.  

Tunsil is a monster. I would take him at 5, but it ain't happening.
Shock the world

Quote:Because... why?

Because it's not a premium position anymore.

Would rather have 5 solid guys like Cann in the 3rd round than a "superstar" LT playing next to a scrub.

I think the top 5 should be reserved for impact players, and offensive lineman just aren't that.

You can put tunsel at LT but JJ watt will just line up against the weakest link of the offensive line and sack the QB anyway.

Mostly though, I haven't seen a single LT that's dominant in the way Boselli was. They just don't make those kind of tackles anymore.

College football is nearly all spread option quick pass stuff, so the tackles just don't get developed like they used to be. Also, the new CBA rules limit how much they can practice.

For me, a LT isn't a premium position anymore.

It's QB, WR, DE (or any type of pass rusher), FS, and CB.

Just my opinion though.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:If he is rated as the best player on the board at that point with no one else comparable in talent then yes, you take him.

Don't worry about who is on your team now, worry about which player is the best left in the draft and take that guy. Imagine if the Jaguars had taken Jon Ogden in 1996 instead of Kevin Hardy. Let him play right tackle until Boselli leaves and then move him over and don't miss a beat for another seven seasons. I think it was Vic that used to say it, but you never regret taking a great player.

Except Ogden and Boselli were 100 times the player Tunsel is/will be.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Except Ogden and Boselli were 100 times the player Tunsel is/will be.

That doesn't matter if Tunsil is twice the player of any of the other guys left. Don't take a bad player because you already have a guy on the roster playing the position that the great player plays.

Like I said, if Tunsil clearly is the best guy left, take him, don't take a bad player because you think you need to fill a roster slot. Filling roster slots with bad players is what free agency is for.

Quote:That doesn't matter if Tunsil is twice the player of any of the other guys left. Don't take a bad player because you already have a guy on the roster playing the position that the great player plays.

Like I said, if Tunsil clearly is the best guy left, take him, don't take a bad player because you think you need to fill a roster slot. Filling roster slots with bad players is what free agency is for.

at 5, there will be plenty of good players left at other positions.  Even if they are close in terms of talent, I would rather go with a pass rusher than a LT at 5.  

now if we were picking 18th or something and Tunsel for some reason fell that far, and he is BY far the best talent available, take him.

not at 5.

Quote:That doesn't matter if Tunsil is twice the player of any of the other guys left. 

he won't be twice the player of the guys left at 5.  There will be plenty of highly talented players at more premium positions for us.

Quote:Because it's not a premium position anymore.

Would rather have 5 solid guys like Cann in the 3rd round than a "superstar" LT playing next to a scrub.

I think the top 5 should be reserved for impact players, and offensive lineman just aren't that.

You can put tunsel at LT but JJ watt will just line up against the weakest link of the offensive line and sack the QB anyway.

Mostly though, I haven't seen a single LT that's dominant in the way Boselli was. They just don't make those kind of tackles anymore.

College football is nearly all spread option quick pass stuff, so the tackles just don't get developed like they used to be. Also, the new CBA rules limit how much they can practice.

For me, a LT isn't a premium position anymore.

It's QB, WR, DE (or any type of pass rusher), FS, and CB.

Just my opinion though.

You aren't listing premium positions, those are sexy positions.

WR is definitely not a premium position. A good WR is involved in 7-12 plays a game. Also a team has 3-5 of them who get involved. A LT is involved every single play of the game. Also, not sure how you can say a pass rusher is premium, but not the guy responsible for stopping him.

Don't have to worry about Tunsil. He will be gone in the top 3.

Quote:You aren't listing premium positions, those are sexy positions.

WR is definitely not a premium position. A good WR is involved in 7-12 plays a game. Also a team has 3-5 of them who get involved. A LT is involved every single play of the game. Also, not sure how you can say a pass rusher is premium, but not the guy responsible for stopping him.

We just disagree. I think a WR is a premium position.

The offensive line as a whole can be viewed as a premium position group, but they have to be good as a whole. I think the best value is to draft a lineman every single year, but not in the top 5.

There are solid big uglies all over the country, whereas a ballhawk CB or a premier pass rusher are much harder to come by.

Like I said - give me a 2nd or 3rd round lineman every year and just keep plugging them in. 5 solid guys like that is what you need, not a 2nd overall pick like Joeckel but then having Hodor Pasztor playing RT.

Quote:at 5, there will be plenty of good players left at other positions.  Even if they are close in terms of talent, I would rather go with a pass rusher than a LT at 5.  

now if we were picking 18th or something and Tunsel for some reason fell that far, and he is BY far the best talent available, take him.

not at 5.

We'll find out eventually, but whomever Dave selects, they need to perform at least as well as everyone taken after them. This isn't a team with enough talent to turn its nose up at great talents in favor of lesser players just because people on message boards can't understand building success over the long term.

Quote:We'll find out eventually, but whomever Dave selects, they need to perform at least as well as everyone taken after them. This isn't a team with enough talent to turn its nose up at great talents in favor of lesser players just because people on message boards can't understand building success over the long term.

Not saying I agree or disagree with any of that.

However, one thing that I can say FOR CERTAIN is that the team will do as it will without any consideration for what people on message boards think. Nor should they.

The team is going to do whatever it thinks is right for them. Afterwards, people on message boards can have their 10,000 different opinions about the moves. The team will continue on regardless.

If Tunsil is that great, you'll be able to trade down.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:If Tunsil is that great, you'll be able to trade down.  

Here is a trade scenario for you:

The texans want to trade up to take one of the top two QBs, one of whom is still on the board at pick #5, they offer the Jaguars their first, second, and fourth round picks.  (22, 52, and whatever pick it is in round 4 after the compensatory picks are doled out)

Do you take that offer?

Quote:Here is a trade scenario for you:

The texans want to trade up to take one of the top two QBs, one of whom is still on the board at pick #5, they offer the Jaguars their first, second, and fourth round picks. (22, 52, and whatever pick it is in round 4 after the compensatory picks are doled out)

Do you take that offer?
to move up from 22 to pick 5? I hope you are joking

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2016, 03:48 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

And to give the best team in our division a franchise QB. Teams would love to make deals with you. I thought Gene was bad!

Quote:to move up from 22 to pick 5? I hope you are joking

No, my point was that sometimes the only trade available to you is the one you don't want to take. Not only is it a pretty low offer for the number of picks between 5 and 22, but it's also trading the texans, a division rival, the opportunity to get a franchise QB. (whether the guy available actually is one or not)

Sometimes the only real option a team has is to just make a pick, and if Tunsil is better than the other guys after him why would you not want the Jaguars offensive line moving forward to be the equivalent of the 2014 Cowboys line?

There's no way he falls to 5. I think the jags will be in a tough spot at 5 though. I expect tunsil, bosa, and Ramsey to be gone. I'm not sold on Jack anymore as a middle linebacker