Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Daryl Smith Released

Quote:How many years ago was this? Easy to make this comment now.

You talk like we aren't 12-36 the last 3 years.

The truth is Eugene Monroe was always an average to above average left tackle while in Jacksonville, he was propped up be a few Jaguar fans as a top 5-10 talent at the position, he was never that. When he's been healthy, he's been average to below average player his entire time in Baltimore, go ask a Ravens fan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You're original post said time to develop and find new players regarding Darryl Smith's release, yet they cut Brandon Marshall, who apparently is a half-way decent LB. So basically your point made no sense.

You never answered my question

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 03:08 PM by jagforlife85.)

Come on man, you're acting as if Monroe and Daryl Smith would've made a big difference, would you be less upset if we were 17-31 over the same time span?! Stop thinking so small, look at the bigger picture.

Quote:Is it possible that Brandon Marshalls production is the product of having 2 hall of fame edge rushers, along with two probowl interior rushers, along with 3 shutdown corners (Talib, Harris Jr, Roby) along with two really good safeties on the backend?

Hard to say but he's a tackling machine in Denver.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 03:10 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Hard to say but he's a tackling machine in Denver.

"Poz" is also a tackling machine, right here in Jacksonville. I would agree with your point if Brandon Marshall was a true impact player, but he's not. He's a nice player that is blessed to play around a bunch of true playmakers.

Quote:You're original post said time to develop and find new players regarding Darryl Smith's release, yet they cut Brandon Marshall, who apparently is a half-way decent LB. So basically your point made no sense.

No. Actually YOUR logic makes zero sense.

The reason they didn't resign an aging linebacker...which was, you know, kinda the point of my answer...was to develop new talent.

I don't recall saying anything about Marshall and whether they should have kept him or not. Maybe I have amnesia.

Let me go check...nope...didn't say anything about him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 03:15 PM by jagforlife85.)

The Chicago Cubs started rebuilding around 2010-2011, their record from 2010-2014 was 346-464. Do you think their fans are complaining now? Considering the amount of young cost-controlled talent they have the answer is absolutely no, that team is setup to consistently win for the next 10-15 years. Again look at the big picture, I don't agree with everything Dave has done, but I feel he's done a good job of acquiring young cost controlled talent, the arrow is clearly pointing up, so I could care less about "12-36", as it's not indicative of where this team is heading

Quote:No. Actually YOUR logic makes zero sense.

The reason they didn't resign an aging linebacker...which was, you know, kinda the point of my answer...was to develop new talent.

I don't recall saying anything about Marshall and whether they should have kept him or not. Maybe I have amnesia.

Let me go check...nope...didn't say anything about him.

Cut the aging LB to develop new talent yet they cut the young talented LB who now starts on the Super Bowl winning team. I guess you meant develop even newer talent, which has worked brilliantly.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Cut the aging LB to develop new talent yet they cut the young talented LB who now starts on the Super Bowl winning team. I guess you meant develop even newer talent, which has worked brilliantly.

Some of you can't see the forest through the trees, we have a team featuring Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, TJ Yeldon, Julius Thomas, Marqise Lee, Telvin Smith, Brandon Linder etc..., yet you choose to focus on "the one that got away", Brandon frickin Marshall. Unbelievable.

Quote:Cut the aging LB to develop new talent yet they cut the young talented LB who now starts on the Super Bowl winning team. I guess you meant develop even newer talent, which has worked brilliantly.

Good grief.  

The answer pertained to why they did not resign Daryl Smith....Daryl Smith.  Get it?

Not whether they should have kept another player.

Daryl Smith.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:The truth is Eugene Monroe was always an average to above average left tackle while in Jacksonville, he was propped up be a few Jaguar fans as a top 5-10 talent at the position, he was never that. When he's been healthy, he's been average to below average player his entire time in Baltimore, go ask a Ravens fan.

Look, I will admit, at the time, I assumed Joeckel was going to be a stud, franchise LT and letting Monroe walk was the right move, but in hindsight, Monroe is and was better than LJ will ever be. Had they kept Monroe, they could have gone somewhere else in that draft besides LJ.

Hindsight is great, but we essentially let a guy walk to get someone not as good as him with the #2 pick in the draft. 

Quote:Look, I will admit, at the time, I assumed Joeckel was going to be a stud, franchise LT and letting Monroe walk was the right move, but in hindsight, Monroe is and was better than LJ will ever be. Had they kept Monroe, they could have gone somewhere else in that draft besides LJ.

Hindsight is great, but we essentially let a guy walk to get someone not as good as him with the #2 pick in the draft. 

But we're talking about two different things, you can't use the failures of Luke Joeckel as way to blame Dave for trading Monroe. If Dave had taken Lane Johnson this wouldn't even be a conversation. They made the right move in trading Monroe, they didn't make the right move in selecting Joeckel. 

Well that means if we take Jalen Ramsey just ahead of the Ravens, they'll be very satisfied with Myles Jack. 

Quote:Some of you can't see the forest through the trees, we have a team featuring Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, TJ Yeldon, Julius Thomas, Marqise Lee, Telvin Smith, Brandon Linder etc..., yet you choose to focus on "the one that got away", Brandon frickin Marshall. Unbelievable.

I honestly don't remember one person on this board complaining that we cut Brandon Marshall when it happened.

Quote:It is a shame he hasn't been a Jaguar the last 3 years or so. The team certainly could have used him.
Yeah I think this is one of the worse moves David Caldwell and Gus Bradley have Made!

30 other GMs passed on D. Smith as well. He was still on the street in June. The Ravens gave him a shot because they weren't confident that Arthur Brown could start as a rookie.

Quote:30 other GMs passed on D. Smith as well. He was still on the street in June. The Ravens gave him a shot because they weren't confident that Arthur Brown could start as a rookie.

Or Daryl Smith was just selective and chose to go a Super Bowl contender.

Fact is, Smith has played very well in 3 years with the Ravens. We definitely could've used him last year in our "playoff push"... I think we win at least 1-2 more games if he plays instead of guys like Armbrister.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I honestly don't remember one person on this board complaining that we cut Brandon Marshall when it happened.

And that still doesn't matter. As a GM and coaching staff, you should be able to make better decisions than people on a message board
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

If you decide to hang it up D Smith. Please do so as a Jag! One of my favorite players ever, very under appreciated.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016, 10:04 AM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:Or Daryl Smith was just selective and chose to go a Super Bowl contender.

Fact is, Smith has played very well in 3 years with the Ravens. We definitely could've used him last year in our "playoff push"... I think we win at least 1-2 more games if he plays instead of guys like Armbrister.

If he was holding out for a Super Bowl contender, then he wouldn't have come back to J-ville anyway.