Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cann at Center

From NFL.com draft prospect page on AJ Cann...

"This kid can play center or guard. He can be an immediate starter. Ultimately, I think he kicks all the way inside and plays center." -- Mike Mayock

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I just have a hard time moving a guy who looks great at Guard to a different position.

That being said, settling the center position for a decade is great too.

I trust Dave's decision either way.
2012...2-14

2013...4-12.

2014...3-13.

2015...5-11.

...keep on trusting. We're right on track to reach the elusive '6-10' season record! Sprinkles all around! At our present rate of improvement, we might be legit playoff contenders in a couple more years.

Quote:2012...2-14

2013...4-12.

2014...3-13.

2015...5-11.

...keep on trusting. We're right on track to reach the elusive '6-10' season record! Sprinkles all around! At our present rate of improvement, we might be legit playoff contenders in a couple more years.

[Image: stone-cold-laughing.gif]

Quote:Sign Alex Mack and move Cann to Left guard. Problem solved

Personally, I like being listed as a top 5 team with the most cap space.

If we sign good players we're going to lose that achievement that we've been able to hold for the past 7 years.

Quote:2012...2-14

2013...4-12.

2014...3-13.

2015...5-11.

Regardless of the records the past 4 years, do you not believe that Dave has done a good job of drafting talented players for this team? He rebuilt the offense completely in 3 years to record breaking levels. He's now going to focus on the Defense. But, yeah sprinkles.

Quote:Sign Alex Mack and move Cann to Left guard. Problem solved

Chances are this is what they actually do.

Then if they're able to replace Joekel as well, the OL is set.

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2016, 10:10 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:I would go stop gap at Center again and draft Nick Linder in the first round next year.

Hey fans, about that 3 year, oops I mean 4 year, oops I mean 5 year rebuild.

Quote:The GM suggested it. I'm going to trust his opinion.

Dave did mention it, but actually it started last year around this time when he drilled at both center and guard for scouts at his pro day. 

Leading Mayock to say this:

"This kid can play center or guard. He can be an immediate starter. Ultimately, I think he kicks all the way inside and plays center." -- Mike Mayock

Quote:Regardless of the records the past 4 years, do you not believe that Dave has done a good job of drafting talented players for this team? He rebuilt the offense completely in 3 years to record breaking levels. He's now going to focus on the Defense. But, yeah sprinkles.

That ice cream stuff just never gets old...does it?

(lowest common denominator)
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:That ice cream stuff just never gets old...does it?

(lowest common denominator)
As some say "never gets old". 

.....Or does it?  Ninja

Cann Mack and Linder in the middle of our line would be amazing.  If we can land another guard/center and use Cann at Center it'd be huge for Bortles and the offense.  Yeldon would be very happy too.

Quote:Precisely. And this wouldnt be the first time in history a guy started at guard and went to center. Meester started like this. I believe Jeff Saturday started at guard as well.

In Meester and Saturday's case, they were moved from guard to center because they lacked the power to move people but are smart technicians. This is usually what happens to Gs who lack power. AJ Cann is not in this "mold". I too, would rather have Cann and Linder at G. Unless a top flight G lands in our lap in the draft that could supplant either one of those two, I say keep him where he is.

Quote:Cann Mack and Linder in the middle of our line would be amazing.  If we can land another guard/center and use Cann at Center it'd be huge for Bortles and the offense.  Yeldon would be very happy too.

I agree. Either scenario would be beneficial for both phases of the offense. 

The thought of Yeldon running behind Linder and Parnell is already exciting, but adding Osemele or Mack really adds to my confidence in the run game taking a step forward. 

Combine that with Bortles having a half second longer in a cleaner pocket to look downfield for Thomas, A-Rob, Hurnsy and the rest  -- and it's an offense that should be dangerous. 

Quote:I agree. Either scenario would be beneficial for both phases of the offense.

The thought of Yeldon running behind Linder and Parnell is already exciting, but adding Osemele or Mack really adds to my confidence in the run game taking a step forward.

Combine that with Bortles having a half second longer in a cleaner pocket to look downfield for Thomas, A-Rob, Hurnsy and the rest -- and it's an offense that should be dangerous.

Dangerouser....
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Dangerouser....

..even more dangerouser.

Unless you are always on the field during practice, how would you know how good Cann is at center? Hopefully coaches put him where he is best, but lord do we NEED a LT. 

Just draft Ryan Kelly at 38 if he's there and we will be competing with the Cowboys to have the best, cheap, young interior oline for the foreseeable future. 

We really don't need to spend 10+ mil/yr on a 30 year old center who wasn't very good last year. 

Quote: 

We really don't need to spend 10+ mil/yr on a 30 year old center who wasn't very good last year. 
 Don't need to.  But they have the luxury of making the offer to Mack or Osemele and opening up more possibilities to draft a difference maker at a position of greater need with that pick. 

The Jags have 32 million dollars just in cap carryover money this offseason. They can sign one of these guys AND still make big time offers to a pass rusher and CB. 

Quote: Don't need to.  But they have the luxury of making the offer to Mack or Osemele and opening up more possibilities to draft a difference maker at a position of greater need with that pick. 

The Jags have 32 million dollars just in cap carryover money this offseason. They can sign one of these guys AND still make big time offers to a pass rusher and CB. 

I want linemen who won't let Bortles or Yeldon get hit in the backfield.  Then pout and look down while walking back to the line/sideline.  

Quote: Don't need to.  But they have the luxury of making the offer to Mack or Osemele and opening up more possibilities to draft a difference maker at a position of greater need with that pick. 

Osemele, yes please go for it. He is young and very, very good. Boone or Brooks for a young, good FA G and kick Cann to C is fine too.  

I just specifically don't want Mack. He is well past his peak and was already not good last year. Paying a 30 year old 10+ mil/yr to hope that he rebounds to how he played when he was 28 and before he suffered a major broken leg is a fools errand.