Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
London to have an NFL team by 2022

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2016, 11:25 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:There is no reason to think it would work. You have to look at the interests of players and coaches, who have personal lives outside of football and families or girlfriends. Think about the time differences too: eight hours for West Coast teams and seven for the Broncos and Cardinals. Even the Jaguars lose five hours when they fly to London.

People tend to make the impossible possible when there's a large sum of money involved. The NFL has something up their sleeves. Why do you think they are currently experimenting with 8 games a year being played overseas?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The NFL is all about money. As we speak 1 British Pound equals $1.42 US Dollar. There's plenty enough reason to believe the NFL will find a way to make it work over there.
I agree the NFL is all about money, but If they think they're going to house a team/teams in London, they'll have to honor China and Mexico as well. You don't think there's people in those markets that will want a cut also? If they're going to put in the time for London, they'll have to put it in for the other markets, because like you said, it's all about money.

Personally, American Football isn't going to last in Europe as is. A few games a year is great, but do you really think they're going to sell out every single game, every single time if they played 16 games there? Let alone multiple teams?

Quote:I agree the NFL is all about money, but If they think they're going to house a team/teams in London, they'll have to honor China and Mexico as well. You don't think there's people in those markets that will want a cut also? If they're going to put in the time for London, they'll have to put it in for the other markets, because like you said, it's all about money.

Personally, American Football isn't going to last in Europe as is. A few games a year is great, but do you really think they're going to sell out every single game, every single time if they played 16 games there? Let alone multiple teams?

Unfortunately I think that's the ultimate goal. International expansion. Now that LA can't be used as a threat for relocation, cities like Toronto, London, Mexico City, etc become the new potential place to land a NFL franchise. There's maybe one or two other cities in the US that would be viable landing spots for expansion. Why try to force a new team in San Antonio or Orlando when an owner can have one of these international cities with dense populations all to himself? It's no secret the NFL wants to become what soccer to the world is today. It may not happen overnight but better believe the NFL will push it.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Unfortunately I think that's the ultimate goal. International expansion. Now that LA can't be used as a threat for relocation, cities like Toronto, London, Mexico City, etc become the new potential place to land a NFL franchise. There's maybe one or two other cities in the US that would be viable landing spots for expansion. Why try to force a new team in San Antonio or Orlando when an owner can have one of these international cities with dense populations all to himself? It's no secret the NFL wants to become what soccer to the world is today. It may not happen overnight but better believe the NFL will push it.

Forget about Toronto. The new Bills owners pledged to keep the team in Buffalo. Bills fans boycotted Bon Jovi after he said he would move the team to Toronto. The team would lose money by moving north.

In all reality, we don't even sell out for England International (soccer) games.

Also, there are pretty much always tickets available for most Premier League games (unless it's a rivalry live Tottenham v Arsenal & Manchester United v Liverpool et al).

So in essence, we don't sell out our national sport, let alone a sport which fluctuates with support over here.

Don't get me wrong, the NFL games have capacity crowds here. But no, we would not sell out every game if a franchise were to move here. I think it would be wasted over here on a permanent basis, as much as I really truly love this sport.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

London won't want a team in full rebuild mode so we should be safe in 2022.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Unfortunately I think that's the ultimate goal. International expansion. Now that LA can't be used as a threat for relocation, cities like Toronto, London, Mexico City, etc become the new potential place to land a NFL franchise. There's maybe one or two other cities in the US that would be viable landing spots for expansion. Why try to force a new team in San Antonio or Orlando when an owner can have one of these international cities with dense populations all to himself? It's no secret the NFL wants to become what soccer to the world is today. It may not happen overnight but better believe the NFL will push it.
The NFL can want to be what soccer is to the world today, but in reality, it will never happen. It wont ever happen.

I give the LA team/teams, 5-10 years before they're wanting to ship up and pack out again honestly. There's way too many things to do in LA. Far too many other sports teams around the area as well. The team/teams in LA will have to consistently be a winner. Nobody in LA is going to endlessly spend huge amounts of $$, on way overpriced tickets, just because it's a LA team/s, only to watch a loser for a decade.

If they don't win and win very fast, it's not going to even last in LA again anyways. Let alone over seas.

I'm convinced the NFL wants to do this (I think the denial was because the original article said there WILL be a team in London by 2022, when it should have said there are PLANS for one).

And comparisons have been drawn with cities like Carolina and Jacksonville in the US which suddenly became NFL towns.

But I'm not sure the NFL has a big enough following in the UK. Despite what the NFL might claim, it's still a minority sport over here.

I live in London have have gone to all the Wembley games since they started. Personally I think if a NFL franchise moved here you would see similar crowd sizes to what we see in the NFL today. 8 home regular games isn't exactly a massive push, but ticket prices would probably have a large impact. The prices are pretty high for the games at the moment even for a season ticket for all 3 games. My tickets for the 3 games costs me more than a season ticket at Fulham for 23 games. Fans over here will buy tickets to see their NFL teams or "bigger" teams. You might struggle with the smaller teams to sell out.

I think the main 2 issues with having a permanent London franchise are going to be player issues (salary/tax players not wanting to move) and also the flight/schedule. I don't think the time zone is a major issue as long as the London team is always the earlier kick off. I guess there could be issues with games against teams from the West Coast. With the comfort in air travel now, I don't know how much of an issue that actually is. I guess you'd lose the revenue and exposure from being a prime time and Monday night game.

I think they'll trial it one year, with a team waiting for a relocation, to see how viable it is. I think the massive potential revenue of a London franchise will be too appealing for the league not to try it.

NFL Europe failed. Twice, and there was a London team. It wasn't the first attempt to plant American football in Europe, and the ones before failed as well.

At some point, one has to look at the blood-stained hole in the wall and ask why they're still banging their head against it.

Quote:NFL Europe failed. Twice, and there was a London team. It wasn't the first attempt to plant American football in Europe, and the ones before failed as well.

At some point, one has to look at the blood-stained hole in the wall and ask why they're still banging their head against it.
NFL Europe because it was a bad product, clearly inferior to the quality of the NFL, there was no permanence to the league or the players. Most of the players in the NFL Europe would be out of football within less than a year and even the biggest stars in Europe would be second string players at best in America.

The NFL can work in Europe but it takes a completely different approach than it would in America. You can't just put a team into a market and expect an instant fanbase, building reputation and support in Europe takes time and for once the NFL is going about it the right way. IMO, a London team will happen at some point but not in the near future. 

Quote:The NFL is all about money. As we speak 1 British Pound equals $1.42 US Dollar. There's plenty enough reason to believe the NFL will find a way to make it work over there.

Well if there is one major sport that will really really try hard to pound the British, currency-wise, it's the NFL.

I have a hard to seeing how it would actually work, and be successful, with only the one team in London.

One home team in London means they would get 8 games a year there, plus the 2 preseason games, so that's what the NFL wants.

It's not nearly as bad for the 8 road teams, and the 2 preseason teams, to play there just the one game, but it would be a big disadvantage for the London team to have to play 10 games a year in the states.

How many of this years playoff teams went to London to play a game and how many of this years teams who played in London made the playoffs?

Think about that for a little while.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Forget about Toronto. The new Bills owners pledged to keep the team in Buffalo. Bills fans boycotted Bon Jovi after he said he would move the team to Toronto. The team would lose money by moving north.

I didn't say anything about the Bills.

Quote:The NFL can want to be what soccer is to the world today, but in reality, it will never happen. It wont ever happen.

I give the LA team/teams, 5-10 years before they're wanting to ship up and pack out again honestly. There's way too many things to do in LA. Far too many other sports teams around the area as well. The team/teams in LA will have to consistently be a winner. Nobody in LA is going to endlessly spend huge amounts of $$, on way overpriced tickets, just because it's a LA team/s, only to watch a loser for a decade.

If they don't win and win very fast, it's not going to even last in LA again anyways. Let alone over seas.

I tend to agree with you on all fronts. But we all know that doesn't stop the <del>machine</del> NFL from pushing its agenda.

I am all for London and other European cities creating their own American football league. If India can do it, Europe can do it. It is the dumbest idea in the history of the league to try to expand the existing NFL there. www.efli.com
Only a chump boos the home team!

Personally, moving a team to London would not make sense. 

There is too much travel involved.

There is a reason why every team in London has a bye week right after. 

Too many miles in between. 

Quote:Personally, moving a team to London would not make sense. 

There is too much travel involved.

There is a reason why every team in London has a bye week right after. 

Too many miles in between. 
Logistically, it could work, but it would be a pain to schedule. Something like this:

Games 1-3 in London

Game 4 in London, Thursday night

Games 5-8 are away in the US

Bye week

Games 9-10 in London, game 10 on Thursday night

Games 11-14 away in US

Game 15 in London on Monday night, game 16 in London

It'd be convoluted and messy, and would involve longer streaks of home and away games than are the norm, but by creatively using prime-time games and the bye week, and by practicing in the US during US away trips, the time zone problem could be averted somewhat for the London team, and we've already figured out how to send a team to London for a one-off game.

It's ugly, but it could theoretically work.

Quote:I am all for London and other European cities creating their own American football league. If India can do it, Europe can do it. It is the dumbest idea in the history of the league to try to expand the existing NFL there. www.efli.com
Europe has plenty of domestic leagues but their level is nowhere near the NFL. A good college team would probably walk all over even the best European team. 

The thing that people have to remember is that teams that move have expired leases on their old stadiums.  That's what the Chargers, the Rams, and the Raiders had in common.  And as heartless as the owners are (and yes, I do believe that), even they don't want a team that has a lease to move.

Remember, long before St. Louis lost the Rams, the city and the team bickered for years about stadium upgrades. They eventually had to go to arbitration, and it was through arbitration that Rams were allowed out of their lease.

As long as Jax continues to work with Khan, and i think they will, the Jags will be safe.

Going to the UK will kind of defy what the NFL stands for.......

National Football League

National : of or relating to a nation; common to or characteristic of a whole nation. 

THE US of A BABY!