Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chargers file for relocation to Los Angeles

Quote:I don't know if anyone else sees it this way, but I'm just glad the final chapter of the LA saga doesn't include the Jaguars.

This is the end of what was at least a 9 year long saga.

As someone who has participated here for a long time,  I certainly recall the days when the Jaguars were regularly linked to moving to Los Angeles and plenty associated with that.  Those were trying times.

While my preference is for Los Angeles to get an expansion team unless one of the cities involved absolutely fails to put together a viable proposal  (  St. Louis already has a viable proposal that has been approved by local government ) ,   I'm very glad that Jaguars fans and the people in the Jacksonville area in general haven't had this relatively recent direct threat of losing their team.   Hopefully,  the Jaguars will stay in Jacksonville for the generations to come.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It is official now. All three teams have done it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...relocation

Quote:  A few minutes ago,  Chargers Owner and CEO Dean Spanos spoke about why the Chargers filed for relocation to the Los Angeles area.   I think you and the others participating here will find this of interest:

http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/01/04...elocation#
Even back when I lived in San Diego (2007-2010), local fans treated a move as an eventuality, and I knew a few Chargers fans were hoping that it'd just be a move up the coast to LA and not something zany like San Antonio, Oklahoma City or south of the Mexican border. Everyone knew that the owners did not want to move the team, but they also knew that at some point, someone else would start making serious noise about LA, and the city would have to either get a stadium deal done instantly or risk losing the team. I genuinely feel bad for Chargers fans, because they're not the ones who refused to entertain the idea of public funding for a stadium. The politicians did that, and those politicians are about to find out on election day what chasing the Chargers up the coast has done for their careers.

Quote:   As someone who has participated here for a long time,  I certainly recall the days when the Jaguars were regularly linked to moving to Los Angeles and plenty associated with that.  Those were trying times.
Remember when that Ed Roski douche trolled around the NFL saying that he intended to build a stadium in LA, then went on to list the Jaguars, Bills and Vikings as the teams he'd choose his tenant from? lol

It's going to be awkward as hell for the team(s) that dont get approval.

I started wondering recently why any of the teams want to move before a new stadium is completed. And why would the NFL prefer to make the chosen team play in a college stadium for two years?

Quote:It's going to be awkward as hell for the team(s) that dont get approval.
Chargers and Rams to LA, Raiders to St. Louis in the new stadium?

Stranger things have happened. Kroenke very obviously purchased the Rams with the intent to move them to LA, and the Chargers have been at their wits end for over a decade now. The Raiders don't particularly want to leave Oakland, but they can't get a stadium deal done there. The Raiders might be more willing to work with St. Louis on a stadium deal than Kroenke ever would have been. Maybe the NFL views the Raiders to St. Louis as an "everybody wins" scenario? The Rams and Chargers get LA, and the Raiders get their new stadium, just in a different town.

An even crazier idea I've seen thrown out there by the PFTs of the world: a franchise swap. The Raiders, the Rams and some amount of cash swap hands between the Davis family and Stan Kroenke. Kroenke moves the Raiders to LA with the Chargers, and the Rams stay put under new ownership to figure it out in St. Louis.

Of course, there's always San Antonio as a consolation prize for whichever team doesn't get LA.

It's gonna be fun to watch this train wreck happen in slow motion. If we're really lucky, the owners will approve the Charaiders Carson plan and leave Kroenke in the cold--and Kroenke will turn that cold into a nuclear winter by suing the NFL, Roger Goodell, all 31 other teams and their owners, the city of St. Louis, the state of California, Inglewood, LA County, the California Real Estate Commission and Tom Cruise (did I forget anybody?) into oblivion for ruining his master plan.

Quote:I started wondering recently why any of the teams want to move before a new stadium is completed. And why would the NFL prefer to make the chosen team play in a college stadium for two years?
Because if the Rams wait two years for their stadium to be built, they'll find that the Chargers and Raiders have already moved in down the street.

Quote:I don't know if anyone else sees it this way, but I'm just glad the final chapter of the LA saga doesn't include the Jaguars.

This is the end of what was at least a 9 year long saga.

I'm not so certain this is the final chapter. LA has been an issue, even with a team located there, for decades now. They have shown over and over again to be incapable of supporting a team and all of the things that go along with it. While the owners most definitely want the TV revenue that would come from that market, I'm not so certain that city is going to be able to keep a team over the long-term.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:   As someone who has participated here for a long time,  I certainly recall the days when the Jaguars were regularly linked to moving to Los Angeles and plenty associated with that.  Those were trying times.

While my preference is for Los Angeles to get an expansion team unless one of the cities involved absolutely fails to put together a viable proposal  (  St. Louis already has a viable proposal that has been approved by local government ) ,   I'm very glad that Jaguars fans and the people in the Jacksonville area in general haven't had this relatively recent direct threat of losing their team.   Hopefully,  the Jaguars will stay in Jacksonville for the generations to come.  
Agree wholeheartedly!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

The thing I love is that the unwritten headline-the one that has media hacks fuming-is that the Jaguars aren't one of those teams applying for relocation to Los Angeles.

Year after year of beating us over the head with it, as if they were wishing it were true, when the dust settled and the smoke cleared, it was them not us packing up shop.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I hear whoever is moving to LA plans on scheduling their inaugural home game with the Jags to ensure a win.

Quote:Even back when I lived in San Diego (2007-2010), local fans treated a move as an eventuality, and I knew a few Chargers fans were hoping that it'd just be a move up the coast to LA and not something zany like San Antonio, Oklahoma City or south of the Mexican border. Everyone knew that the owners did not want to move the team, but they also knew that at some point, someone else would start making serious noise about LA, and the city would have to either get a stadium deal done instantly or risk losing the team. I genuinely feel bad for Chargers fans, because they're not the ones who refused to entertain the idea of public funding for a stadium. The politicians did that, and those politicians are about to find out on election day what chasing the Chargers up the coast has done for their careers.

Remember when that Ed Roski [BAD WORD REMOVED] trolled around the NFL saying that he intended to build a stadium in LA, then went on to list the Jaguars, Bills and Vikings as the teams he'd choose his tenant from? lol

Is that the case? I know nothing about the feelings of the residents of San Diego - but it seems that in most places the politicians will put their future in jeopardy if they do support public financing. Especially in California - which supposedly is deep in debt.

I also wonder about St. Louis - how did the politicians come up with the public funds for their very, very rich owner who clearly wants to move to LA? The voting public is ok with that?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Is that the case? I know nothing about the feelings of the residents of San Diego - but it seems that in most places the politicians will put their future in jeopardy if they do support public financing. Especially in California - which supposedly is deep in debt.

I also wonder about St. Louis - how did the politicians come up with the public funds for their very, very rich owner who clearly wants to move to LA? The voting public is ok with that?
My understanding is that the governor of Missouri somehow managed to get the funding without voter approval.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2016, 01:41 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:Because if the Rams wait two years for their stadium to be built, they'll find that the Chargers and Raiders have already moved in down the street.

No they wouldn't. If the NFL said the chosen team must stay put until a stadium in completed, that would guarantee no team moves there before 2018.

Quote:My understanding is that the governor of Missouri somehow managed to get the funding without voter approval.

How did that happen?

Quote:The thing I love is that the unwritten headline-the one that has media hacks fuming-is that the Jaguars aren't one of those teams applying for relocation to Los Angeles.

Year after year of beating us over the head with it, as if they were wishing it were true, when the dust settled and the smoke cleared, it was them not us packing up shop.
Yup, you know they are ticked. They have nothing to blame but themselves though. As much as they tried to will it to happen they never would listen to the powers that be here.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Is that the case? I know nothing about the feelings of the residents of San Diego - but it seems that in most places the politicians will put their future in jeopardy if they do support public financing. Especially in California - which supposedly is deep in debt.
San Diego's a different animal from the rest of California. It's an extremely red county in a state full of blue, and politics work a little differently there as a result. Granted, my thoughts are based on a straw poll of people I knew in San Diego, and marginally more scientific "man on the street" polls done by local news while I was there. It's also worth noting that I left SD roughly five years ago, so things may have changed, but there were two key problems:

1. Lack of willingness by politicians to even entertain the idea of public funding, for fear that costs would balloon or the project would go sideways, even though many in San Diego favored some form of assistance to the Chargers on building a new stadium.

2. Stadium plans that ranged from impractical (knocking down a power substation in Chula Vista) to idiotic (filling in part of San Diego Bay to build a stadium on an artificial island--not even kidding).

Unlike situations in St. Louis or, in the more distant past, Los Angeles itself where there was fairly rampant apathy about the fate of the local team(s), San Diegans are die-hard Charger fans, and have been vocal in their desire for the city and the team to figure something out for over a decade.

Quote:No they wouldn't. If the NFL said the chosen team must stay put until a stadium in completed, all three teams would be waiting until 2018.
And the TV network executives would fight amongst themselves to determine who would be first in line to hit Roger Goodell with a baseball bat that had an ebola-tainted railroad spike driven through it.

Does anyone else remember the Saints-to-LA crap? The media jumped on a report the Saints were considering getting a new stadium instead of fixing the Superdome by making them a Los Angeles candidate. The Saints never said they're trying to get a new stadium before Katrina, so that story was obviously fabricated. People just want to see a team move to Los Angeles, so they made up stories about teams being candidates who obviously were not.

Quote:Does anyone else remember the Saints-to-LA crap? The media jumped on a report the Saints were considering getting a new stadium instead of fixing the Superdome by making them a Los Angeles candidate. The Saints never said they're trying to get a new stadium before Katrina, so that story was obviously fabricated. People just want to see a team move to Los Angeles, so they made up stories about teams being candidates who obviously were not.
I seem to recall the Saints being linked to San Antonio more than anyplace else, right up until Goodell more or less told Tom Benson that he was not going to sucker punch the city of New Orleans by taking their team away as a result of Katrina.

There's still occasional speculation that the Saints may yet end up in San Antone.

Quote:Even back when I lived in San Diego (2007-2010), local fans treated a move as an eventuality, and I knew a few Chargers fans were hoping that it'd just be a move up the coast to LA and not something zany like San Antonio, Oklahoma City or south of the Mexican border. Everyone knew that the owners did not want to move the team, but they also knew that at some point, someone else would start making serious noise about LA, and the city would have to either get a stadium deal done instantly or risk losing the team. I genuinely feel bad for Chargers fans, because they're not the ones who refused to entertain the idea of public funding for a stadium. The politicians did that, and those politicians are about to find out on election day what chasing the Chargers up the coast has done for their careers.

Remember when that Ed Roski [BAD WORD REMOVED] trolled around the NFL saying that he intended to build a stadium in LA, then went on to list the Jaguars, Bills and Vikings as the teams he'd choose his tenant from? lol

You would know better than me being that you were close to the Chargers situation on a daily basis.   But from listening to audio clips from the 'Scott and BR'  and Lee ' Hacksaw'  Hamilton shows on the Internet over the years,  my impression is that the local perception for potential Chargers move was likely a move wasn't going to occur for at least a few more years if not for Stan Kroenke's stadium plans in Inglewood,  CA. 

The Ed Roski plan and the Farmers Field plan both turned out to be much more talk than action.    This is arguably the # 1 reason why I believe the NFL is coming back to Los Angeles in 2016 or at the very latest 2017.   The NFL realizes that with two plans that appear to be viable on the table,   this is an opportunity from the league's perspective that they can't afford to punt on.