Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So the 2013 draft class was all trash

Quote:The Lions have had some of the worst drafts over the years,  including 2011,  and the 2014 Draft looks very spotty at this time.   But in my 46 seasons as a Lions fan,  there's no question the 2013 Draft crop is the best one I've seen from this franchise.   Ezekiel ' Ziggy' Ansah,  Darius Slay,  Larry Warford, Devin Taylor,  Sam Martin,  and last but not least Theo Riddick are all good or better NFL players. 

SHHHH

you can't blow the myth around here the entire draft just sucked it wasn't Caldwell's fault! 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We have NOTHING to show for that draft. Not even a guy who gives mediocre production.

Quote:The Lions have had some of the worst drafts over the years, including 2011, and the 2014 Draft looks very spotty at this time. But in my 46 seasons as a Lions fan, there's no question the 2013 Draft crop is the best one I've seen from this franchise. Ezekiel ' Ziggy' Ansah, Darius Slay, Larry Warford, Devin Taylor, Sam Martin, and last but not least Theo Riddick are all good or better NFL players.

Wow what a haul

2013 was a disaster.  As bad as our 2013 draft was, our 2014 draft appears to be one of the best in franchise history.  2015 is too soon to tell.  If the 2013 and 2015 draftees continue to struggle next year, Caldwell will have had one good draft in three tries.  That would be questionable production from the front office, though in an admittedly small sample size.

To not consider Joeckel giving mediocre production shows complete football blinders.  Cyprien also gives mediocre production. 

Denard, Gratz, Evans, and McCray all gave mediocre production.

Heck Cyprien had 94 tackles this year.  Started all season.  I think the definition of mediocre eludes some.

What happened is we haven't gotten any superstars out of that draft class.

Quote:To not consider Joeckel giving mediocre production shows complete football blinders. Cyprien also gives mediocre production.

Denard, Gratz, Evans, and McCray all gave mediocre production.

Heck Cyprien had 94 tackles this year. Started all season. I think the definition of mediocre eludes some.

What happened is we haven't gotten any superstars out of that draft class.

If you consider their production mediocre, I'd really love to see what you call bad.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016, 11:28 PM by D6.)

Quote:SHHHH

you can't blow the myth around here the entire draft just sucked it wasn't Caldwell's fault! 

Dave Caldwell has certainly raised the Jaguars talent level substantially since coming to the Jaguars.   But like all GMs,  I'm sure there are some decisions,  including in the   draft,  that he would want back.  

In the case of the Lions 2013 Crop,  even two of the 2013 UDRFAs,  T LaAdrian Waddle and TE Joseph Fauria were making major positive contributions before injuries derailed their time with the team.    Yet,  the same GM who ran this draft ( Martin Mayhew )  had a below average overall performance in his other drafts combined.  That's a key reason why he was fired after game # 8 this season when the team was at a 2015 NFL Rock Bottom 1-7.

Quote:Wow what a haul

Other than the QB position,  this draft crop is the foundation of the team in the years to come.  

Toby Gerhart has been bad.

Bernard Pierce was bad.

Chris Clemons was bad.

The guys listed previously all started and gave us decent play at times.

Quote:  Dave Caldwell has certainly raised the Jaguars talent level substantially since coming to the Jaguars.   But like all GMs,  I'm sure there are some decisions,  including the in  draft,  that he would want back.  

In the case of the Lions 2013 Crop,  even two of the 2013 UDRFAs,  T LaAdrian Waddle and TE Joseph Fauria were making major positive contributions before injuries derailed their time with the team.    Yet,  the same GM who ran this draft ( Martin Mayhew )  had a below average overall performance in his other drafts combined.  That's a key reason why he was fired after game # 8 this season when the team was at a 2015 NFL Rock Bottom 1-7/

LOL. You come here so you don't have to feel so bad about being a Lions fan, don't you? I finally figured it out! That's where we are folks Sick

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:To not consider Joeckel giving mediocre production shows complete football blinders.  Cyprien also gives mediocre production. 

Cyprien and Joekel both had their worst game of the season today. I really don't consider either to be total busts. 

Quote:Cyprien and Joekel both had their worst game of the season today. I really don't consider either to be total busts.

Based on their draft position and production, they are the epitome of busts.

Some teams had good drafts that year(IE cards/lions) while others missed out on some great players. Sucks the Jags happen to be one of the teams who failed to get a star.

Absolutely right.  Neither have become pro bowlers, which is what ideally you'd want with two picks out of the top 40 players.  However, both have been long term starters and done reasonably well at times.

The poor day causing fans to fan is what is happening.

Quote:LOL. You come here so you don't have to feel so bad about being a Lions fan, don't you? I finally figured it out! That's where we are folks Sick

LOL!   

Nothing in the Super Bowl era can match the Lions overall track record of 50 seasons of no Super Bowl appearances and only 1 playoff win.  Even if the Lions weren't robbed in the playoff road game against the Cowboys last season,  the team would still have the worst track record of any franchise over this long period.    Yet,  all of this doesn't take away from my passion as a fan and trying to look at the positives.  Believe me,  I want to live long enough to even see an era like the Jags had from the 1996 to 1999 seasons,  let alone actually getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

Quote:Some teams had good drafts that year(IE cards/lions) while others missed out on some great players. Sucks the Jags happen to be one of the teams who failed to get a star.

There are several other teams I wouldn't take their draft class over ours.

Quote:And half this board was ready to cut bait on Bortles a few weeks ago, you can't use message board posts to legitimize a draft pick.

Hyperbole much? Message boards aside he hasn't lived up to his draft expectations. And that applies to about 24 or 25 other teams picking in the first round of that horrible draft. Seriously only about 7 first round draft picks have played up to their draft status.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:There are several other teams I wouldn't take their draft class over ours.
Yeah some others dont even have players playing anymore, then again who knows how many we will have playing next season as well.

Quote:Based on their draft position and production, they are the epitome of busts.

There is no way I would give up on Cyprien.  Get that defense better and Cyprien can be a player.  The collective fan base gave up on Reggie Nelson, he got in a better situation and become a much better player.  Same very well could occur with Cyp.  I'd not be ready to cut bait.  Just need to improve the team.

Quote:There is no way I would give up on Cyprien. Get that defense better and Cyprien can be a player. The collective fan base gave up on Reggie Nelson, he got in a better situation and become a much better player. Same very well could occur with Cyp. I'd not be ready to cut bait. Just need to improve the team.

I can work with that......so we are in agreement Luke J. has reached his ceiling and should be replaced at the first opportunity?