Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Offense is Amazing

Quote:Yeah, it's an incredible thing. Especially when you consider that it seems that we are always behind on 3rd down. I don't know how many times we're at a 3rd and 7 or longer, but I'm never worried about it.

In previous years, if we're at a 3rd and 4, it's pretty much time to get Anger ready. Now, at 3rd and 7, it's still within grasp to get the 1st down.

I always look for Walters in those situations
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, it's an incredible thing.  Especially when you consider that it seems that we are always behind on 3rd down.  I don't know how many times we're at a 3rd and 7 or longer, but I'm never worried about it.

In previous years, if we're at a 3rd and 4, it's pretty much time to get Anger ready.  Now, at 3rd and 7, it's still within grasp to get the 1st down.  

I started a thread after the Chargers game about how one way to see offensive improvement is count the number of punts. Banger is not as busy this season because there has been a huge drop in three-and-out drives.

Quote:I still stand with my position that Olson needs to be upgraded next year as well. He's routinely has an average offense. This offense should be even better than it is. There are coaches that would/could get more out of this team than he will I feel. This offense has big potential I don't feel it is likely to ever reach with Olson as OC.

The points yesterday were nice but they are an anomaly in the big picture of Olson's career at OC.

I would warn to be careful what you wish for.

In one offseason we went from 31st in offense to around 17th. Our offense hasn't been this good in over a decade. I would be hesitant to move off Olsen.

Quote:Legal, Blake Bortles only threw for 322 yards yesterday. Where did you get 350 from?
Sorry, I meant to put 320+ yards.  But the stat is still accurate.  Youngest to ever throw for 320+ yards, 5 td's and 0 ints.  

Quote:I know some will light me up for saying this, but yesterday's game showed me a lot of things that i've been dying to see.  We're so upset at the D (rightfully so) that we're forgetting that Bortles is the youngest QB to ever throw 5 td's and over 350 yards with 0 ints.  I went into this season anxious to see some [BAD WORD REMOVED] from Bortles and yesterday he showed it.  He's been good all year but yesterday was fantastic. Even though it was against a very poor team, I was happy about it.

Now if we could just get some men on that Defense. 

I'm late to this party, but I want to focus on this for a moment.

It goes without saying that the tacks aren't very good and neither are we. However, it should also be noted (and I don't think it has been yet) that coming into this game the tacks had the 9th ranked pass defense so while they haven't been winning many games, that defense had been pretty stout against the pass...until this past Sunday when BB & Co. smoked them.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:Yeah, it's an incredible thing.  Especially when you consider that it seems that we are always behind on 3rd down.  I don't know how many times we're at a 3rd and 7 or longer, but I'm never worried about it.

In previous years, if we're at a 3rd and 4, it's pretty much time to get Anger ready.  Now, at 3rd and 7, it's still within grasp to get the 1st down.  

Pfffff, if this team were really good they'd never have to convert a third down.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Offense is a bright spot for sure.

People who play fantasy are actually starting to look at Jags players now and starting them

Quote:Pfffff, if this team were really good they'd never have to convert a third down.

I'm hoping that was sarcasm...

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:Offense is a bright spot for sure.

People who play fantasy are actually starting to look at Jags players now and starting them

I don't play fantasy but saw something on NFL.com about Allen Hurns becoming popular for people who do.

I'm glad our offense has set some 'positive' new records for a change! But I'm reminded of an old saying; 'if you want to appear better looking than you really are, then hang out with an ugly crowd'. I kind'a wonder how much of our gushing over our offense is in part due to the contrast to our defense?

Quote:I'm glad our offense has set some 'positive' new records for a change! But I'm reminded of an old saying; 'if you want to appear better looking than you really are, then hang out with an ugly crowd'. I kind'a wonder how much of our gushing over our offense is in part due to the contrast to our defense?

Or even better, Our offense the last 10 years. I have full faith we have most of the pieces (Need some linemen and a true #1 WR). We just need time. Time to heal (Linder). Time to grow (Various rookies). 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

We need to improve at LT and C. Joeckel needs someone to come in and push him out of that spot, and we need to get another center... unless they deem Bowanko ready to try again.

We also could use a couple more roleplayers. What I feel we need is a power RB that could also do some lead blocking (a MIke Tolbert type guy). I'm tired of Alualu.

And unless Lewis comes back on a cheap contract, we should bring in another blocking TE.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Or even better, Our offense the last 10 years. I have full faith we have most of the pieces (Need some linemen and a true #1 WR). We just need time. Time to heal (Linder). Time to grow (Various rookies).

I was in the same boat about needing a true #1 at the beginning of the season, but Robinson has shown me that he is definitely a #1 in this league. And Hurns could honestly develop into a #1 type WR as well. I think we are set at WR.

Quote:Yeah, it's an incredible thing. Especially when you consider that it seems that we are always behind on 3rd down. I don't know how many times we're at a 3rd and 7 or longer, but I'm never worried about it.

In previous years, if we're at a 3rd and 4, it's pretty much time to get Anger ready. Now, at 3rd and 7, it's still within grasp to get the 1st down.
Agreed, Henne and Gabbert always threw short of the sticks.

As Bortles improves, we will be able to convert those 3rd downs consistently. It's something we can expect next season.

Quote:Or even better, Our offense the last 10 years. I have full faith we have most of the pieces (Need some linemen and a true #1 WR). We just need time. Time to heal (Linder). Time to grow (Various rookies). 

If you think we don't have a true #1 WR, you have never seen Allen Robinson play.

Quote:I still stand with my position that Olson needs to be upgraded next year as well.  He's routinely has an average offense.  This offense should be even better than it is.  There are coaches that would/could get more out of this team than he will I feel.  This offense has big potential I don't feel it is likely to ever reach with Olson as OC.

The points yesterday were nice but they are an anomaly in the big picture of Olson's career at OC.
Go take a minute and look up all the QBs Olson has had the pleasure of working with at the NFL level. I'm pretty sure every one had their career years while working with Olson as OC. He has not had good QBs to work with. Bortles is far and away better than all of them except Carr.

The only thing that Carr has over Bortles is his arm, in my opinion. Carr has a legit arm, the kid can sling it. I still think Bortles is better though, he has more ability from top to bottom.

If they give Bortles a 3rd Offense to learn in as many years, I'll be upset. That's a pretty good way to hurt a young QB, rather than helping him.

Quote:Go take a minute and look up all the QBs Olson has had the pleasure of working with at the NFL level. I'm pretty sure every one had their career years while working with Olson as OC. He has not had good QBs to work with. Bortles is far and away better than all of them except Carr.

The only thing that Carr has over Bortles is his arm, in my opinion. Carr has a legit arm, the kid can sling it. I still think Bortles is better though, he has more ability from top to bottom.

If they give Bortles a 3rd Offense to learn in as many years, I'll be upset. That's a pretty good way to hurt a young QB, rather than helping him.
Carr also makes better decisions with the ball and is further ahead in his mental development, as he is a year older and played longer in college. Also had the advantage of growing up with a brother who played in the NFL. But other than that Bortles has a lot more talent and tools than Carr thanks to his size and mobility combination. Carr can't really get out the pocket and make things happen like Bortles, he is a classic pocket QB that can run in a straight line.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:Carr also makes better decisions with the ball and is further ahead in his mental development, as he is a year older and played longer in college. Also had the advantage of growing up with a brother who played in the NFL. But other than that Bortles has a lot more talent and tools than Carr thanks to his size and mobility combination. Carr can't really get out the pocket and make things happen like Bortles, he is a classic pocket QB that can run in a straight line.

Derek Carr had the benefit of a real quarterback coach at Fresno State. UCF only had an OC who doubled as a QC when Blake Bortles was there. I think that makes a difference too.

Quote:Carr also makes better decisions with the ball and is further ahead in his mental development, as he is a year older and played longer in college. Also had the advantage of growing up with a brother who played in the NFL. But other than that Bortles has a lot more talent and tools than Carr thanks to his size and mobility combination. Carr can't really get out the pocket and make things happen like Bortles, he is a classic pocket QB that can run in a straight line.
Of course, Carr was by far the most polished QB coming out between him, Teddy and Bortles. Bortles being the most raw and Teddy being the most ready to play from day 1. It all showed in their rookie years.

Carr pretty much is, what he is right now, in my opinion. I don't think he's going to take many, if any big jumps in the next year or two. Not saying that's a bad thing, because he's playing very well. I think we all feel Bortles has still got a solid amount of climbing to do though and that's a very good thing with how well he's playing right now.

I'm not going to call the offense amazing against Defenses like Tennessee's, Tampa Bay's, etc .. I would call it amazing when they can be more successful against the heavy hitters in the league.. the New England game is a better representation for me of where the offense is at. I know that game was earlier in the season, but the game was far more telling than beating up on below .500 teams