Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: A Fun Exercise (League Perspective)

Oakland is not trading Derek Carr for Blake Bortles.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Let's see who wants to take Blaine Gabbert:

1. 49ers

So yeah, I guess Blake is doing something right...

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Bortles' numbers this year should be enough to have this team at 3 - 3 at the minimum. I don't point to Blake or the passing game this year at all for our struggles. He's had no running game, inconsistent pass protection and that same group of lineman are the reason why we don't have a running game. No lanes or push up front. It's easy as a defender to key off on Blake and the passing game when you know he doesn't have any support back there.

It's the defense that concerns me. No pass rush, no forced turnovers and no splash plays on third downs. That's killing us more than anything this year. And when your coach essentially got his head coaching job because of his defensive efforts in Seattle. You expect that side of the football to be the LEAST of your concerns. And it's the shinning point on the very tip of the spear of disappointment this season as a fan.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:I think High Score is having a laugh, with a laughable list.

'Obviously', even the Texans that just ridiculed the Jags by better QB play would take the guy they just beat. And ya, Belichek will drop the aging Tommy Boy for your guy. Dalton, dumped. Romo, runsacked.

Dude, lower the teal visor. He has a marked way to go.
The Jags defense makes every pedestrian QB and offense look like the Patriots.

Well, okay... if you insist. You're an idiot. There... feel better now?

Bortles is going to be good. Maybe even great. I am not sure why some people choose to talk about him when discussing the major problems of the team.

Sure, he still makes boneheaded plays, but the fact that he ALWAYS keeps his eyes down field when scrambling, isn't afraid to take a hit, and is able to keep plays alive should give fans a warm and fuzzy about what he will be like in the future.

Lets also not forget that he is in his first year of major mechanical changes, has a pocket that breaks down and forces him out of it. What do you expect? 

The Chargers, Saints and Panthers would surely rather stick with their current qb, and probably the Cowboys as well.

'02

There's a lot of things wrong with your analysis on who wants Bortles, and I'm a huge, huge Bortles supporter, but in no way, shape, or form would Carolina even consider taking Bortles over Cam.

I'd take Cam over Bortles -- right now -- in a heartbeat.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

That was embarassing. He threw a dive yard out to the te so far high and outside it went for a pick six and you have teams getting rid of proven superbowl winning qbs for him?

I like blake i like him a lot. If you think carolina would take him over cam after yesterday?

Ive never said this... FACEPALM.

I'm not a Bortles detractor, but I'd say these are the only teams that would take Bortles over their current starting QB:

-New York Jets

-Buffalo Bills

-Cleveland Browns

-Houston Texans

-Kansas City Chiefs

-Denver Broncos

-Washington Redskins

-Philadelphia Eagles

-Detroit Lions

-Chicago Bears

-San Francisco 49ers

That's not that many, but Bortles is only in his second year.  Now let's look at which starting QB's the Jags would like to have over Bortles:

-Tom Brady

-Andrew Luck (maybe)

-Joe Flacco

-Ben Roethlisberger

-Philip Rivers

-Derek Carr (maybe)

-Tony Romo

-Aaron Rodgers

-Drew Brees

-Russel Wilson

That's just 9.  So it's not that many either.

Bortles can still end up a Top 10 QB in this league.  Imagine if we had an O-line and a Defense.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:That was embarassing. He threw a dive yard out to the te so far high and outside it went for a pick six and you have teams getting rid of proven superbowl winning qbs for him?

I like blake i like him a lot. If you think carolina would take him over cam after yesterday?

Ive never said this... FACEPALM.

Thomas ran the wrong route. And yeah, I think Carolina would take Bortles over Cam. Cam was the first overall pick, has been in the league for a while now and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

I don't know how you can call that conservative when you're replacing Peyton, Eli, Rivers, Romo, and Palmer. And Tyrod Tyler's is having himself a pretty good year; I don't think the Bills would bench him that easily. The only argument Bortles really has over any of these guys is he's younger.

Quote:I think Carolina would take Bortles over Cam. Cam was the first overall pick, has been in the league for a while now and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Other than the fact that he's leading one of the most untalented offenses in the entire league (FAR less talented than Jacksonville's offense) to an undefeated record.

Cam is also 26 years old. Quarterbacks don't even enter their prime until their late 20s.

Like I said, there's a lot of things I disagree with you on in that post, but you're objectively wrong in thinking Carolina would take Bortles over Cam.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Other than the fact that he's leading one of the most untalented offenses in the entire league (FAR less talented than Jacksonville's offense) to an undefeated record.

Cam is also 26 years old. Quarterbacks don't even enter their prime until their late 20s.

Like I said, there's a lot of things I disagree with you on in that post, but you're objectively wrong in thinking Carolina would take Bortles over Cam.

I don't think they would either...at this point in time.

However, when you consider the jump Blake has made from year 1 to year 2 coupled with his age, you can't help but be excited to watch this kid grow into the position. I firmly believe we are set at QB and WR. We just need everyone else to catch up or to find guys that can/will.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I'm not a Bortles detractor, but I'd say these are the only teams that would take Bortles over their current starting QB:

-New York Jets

-Buffalo Bills

-Cleveland Browns

-Houston Texans

-Kansas City Chiefs

-Denver Broncos

-Washington Redskins

-Philadelphia Eagles

-Detroit Lions

-Chicago Bears

-San Francisco 49ers

That's not that many, but Bortles is only in his second year.  Now let's look at which starting QB's the Jags would like to have over Bortles:

-Tom Brady

-Andrew Luck (maybe)

-Joe Flacco

-Ben Roethlisberger

-Philip Rivers

-Derek Carr (maybe)

-Tony Romo

-Aaron Rodgers

-Drew Brees

-Russel Wilson

Bortles can still end up a Top 10 QB in this league.  Imagine if we had an O-line and a Defense.
Andy Dalton???

Formerly known as The Real Joker

Link that he ran the wrong route

Quote:Thomas ran the wrong route. And yeah, I think Carolina would take Bortles over Cam. Cam was the first overall pick, has been in the league for a while now and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Are you f*ing serious?  Bortles over Cam?  I'm as big a Jags supporter as there is, but the dude single handedly carries a garbage offense.  Oh, and they're 5-0, and are coming off a playoff win last year.  I'll take Newton over Bortles any day, and that's not an indictment on Blake either.

One of these years.............

Quote:There's a lot of things wrong with your analysis on who wants Bortles, and I'm a huge, huge Bortles supporter, but in no way, shape, or form would Carolina even consider taking Bortles over Cam.

I'd take Cam over Bortles -- right now -- in a heartbeat.

I am resigned to the fact that it is a subjective post and many people will have a different perspective from me. 

Personally, I would take Bortles over Cam moving forward every day of the week. Cam is having a very good season, but IMO, doesn't have nearly the upside as Bortles.

And someone mentioned Russell Wilson which I think is pretty funny. Russell Wilson's mystique >>>> Russell Wilson's actuality.

Blake needs a consistent ground game first.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I'm not a Bortles detractor, but I'd say these are the only teams that would take Bortles over their current starting QB:

-New York Jets

-Buffalo Bills

-Cleveland Browns

-Houston Texans

-Kansas City Chiefs

-Denver Broncos

-Washington Redskins

-Philadelphia Eagles

-Detroit Lions

-Chicago Bears

-San Francisco 49ers

-Tom Brady

-Andrew Luck (maybe)

-Joe Flacco

-Ben Roethlisberger

-Philip Rivers

-Derek Carr (maybe)

-Tony Romo

-Aaron Rodgers

-Drew Brees

-Russel Wilson

Pretty good lists. I'd add St. Louis as a team that would take Bortles.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"