Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can a young QB fix the habit of staring down recievers?

Quote:This regime (imo) has failed to put adequate playmakers around their young/raw QB. Going into the season with Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee, and Allen Hurns as Bortles primary outside weapons is unacceptable. It's frustrating because Derek Carr and Bridgewater have the requisite talent around them to succeed, Blake doesn't. 
What do you want the Jags to do? use every draft pick on a WR? We continue to improve the offense through the draft, using 2 second rounders last year on those WR and a second on a RB. Then got JT in free agency and probably wouldve gotten Cobb if he didnt go back to Green Bay. It is unfortunate with the injuries we have but the talent is there. It seems like you want us to turn into the colts that use all their picks on offensive players and ignore their suspect line. 

In general I think this front office has used as much resources on offense via draft and free agency as the two you brought up so I'm not sure I understand your point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm also worried about his completion percentage. It is down a whole lot this year. TD are up and INT are down. 

Quote:I'm also worried about his completion percentage. It is down a whole lot this year. TD are up and INT are down. 
While this is somewhat worrisome, he has been taking a lot more shots downfield that are lower percentage shots than the dink and dunk offense of last year. He definitely needs to complete more passes but he is definitely taking making more difficult attempts this year.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 04:33 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:What do you want the Jags to do? use every draft pick on a WR? We continue to improve the offense through the draft, using 2 second rounders last year on those WR and a second on a RB. Then got JT in free agency and probably wouldve gotten Cobb if he didnt go back to Green Bay. It is unfortunate with the injuries we have but the talent is there. It seems like you want us to turn into the colts that use all their picks on offensive players and ignore their suspect line. 

In general I think this front office has used as much resources on offense via draft and free agency as the two you brought up so I'm not sure I understand your point.

I want the Jaguars to put adequate playmakers around their young QB, Marqise Lee has been an injury prone player for 3 years, dating back to his junior year at USC, to expect that trend not to continue is foolish, he's simply not reliable. Allen Robinson flashed as a rookie but never had the looks of a #1 receiver, and while he looks better this year, I don't think he gets enough separation to consistently be a reliable target in the short to intermediate passing game, time will tell. The only proven playmaker on this roster (going into the season) was Julius Thomas, and he's another guy that has been extremely injury prone throughout his career. The Jaguars defense (even with a healthy Fowler) is a middling group, the offense is going to have to put touchdowns (not field goals) on the board to give this team a chance to win on Sundays. They chose to pass on a transcendent receiver in Amari Cooper and I think it was a huge mistake, Derek Carr's YPA last season was 5.46, he's well over 8 so far this year, all because of Cooper's special YAC ability. The offense in Jacksonville has been ABYSMAL for years, the goal should always be to improve the offense until it has the looks of a competent group.

Quote:I'm also worried about his completion percentage. It is down a whole lot this year. TD are up and INT are down. 

Our receivers don't consistently separate from even the most average defensive backs, this along with Blake's inconsistent accuracy is the reason why the completion percentage is so low.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 04:41 PM by Pujo.)

I get the questioning of not drafting Amari; I was interested in Dave drafting him as well. However, I believe they made the right choice with Fowler. Looking at their pass rush right now its pretty abysmal and Fowler could make a difference immediately. I just think Caldwell believed that we had good enough weapons on offense and pass rush was so weak. We will see how everything plays out with the offense for the rest of the year. I'm sure theres still a ton of optimism for Marqise if he can ever shrug off the hamstring bug. He is a talent that is worthy of a first round pick. I also think with JT back we will see a big uptick in points.

Quote:I get the questioning of not drafting Amari; I was interested in Dave drafting him as well. However, I believe they made the right choice with Fowler. Looking at their pass rush right now its pretty abysmal and Fowler could make a difference immediately. I just think Caldwell believed that we had good enough weapons on offense and pass rush was so weak. We will see how everything plays out with the offense for the rest of the year. I think with JT back we will see a big uptick in points.

GM's don't always have to draft for need, that's how you get into trouble. If David thought there were enough weapons on this offense heading into the 2015 season then we have serious problems.

Quote:GM's don't always have to draft for need, that's how you get into trouble. If David thought there were enough weapons on this offense heading into the 2015 season then we have serious problems.
Its not a needs pick most draftniks had Fowler as a top prospect. If was a BAP and needs which is where you want to be. There is no doubt that Amari will be a great NFL player but finding a good Leo is arguably harder to find and when there is one available you have to take it. Now, if Fowler was not injured I doubt there would be the same hate for the pick. I feel the same with JT. If he was in there doing damage the offense would look a lot better. You can never have enough offense so its obvious that Dave didnt approach it that way, its more that they felt very strongly about Fowler and our young WR still have a lot of upside they haven't reached.

Having receivers drop passes doesn't help his completion percentage.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

No.

We're doomed.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Matt Jones and Justin Blackmon scared this franchise away from drafting a WR with a high pick. That is a shame too because it is exactly what we need. It appears the FO doesn't really care about helping BB out.

We all have been a little rough on a guy that didnt even play his entire rookie year, and played behind the worst Oline with all rookie WRs (except Cecil Shorts III) all of which were injured at one point in the season, and the worst running game in Jaguars history.  Then he got a brand new OC in his 2nd year, lost his exp WR Cecil where he was given FA TE Thomas whom hasnt played yet due to injury, but an improved Oline & WRs now in their 2nd year still injured.

Let's look at two great QBs Peyton & Blake's idol Brett Favre & reflect for a minute on how things really arent as bad as we are all making it out to be...

1998 IND Colts Peyton Manning 326 cmp, 575 att, 56.7%cmp, 3,739 yards,  6.5avg, 26TDs, 28INT, 3 Fumbles, 71 Rating

1999 IND Colts Peyton Manning 331 cmp, 533 att, 62.1%cmp, 4,135 yards, 7.76avg, 26TDs, 15INT, 1 Fumble, 90.7 Rating

2000 IND Colts Peyton Manning 357 cmp, 571 att, 62.5%cmp, 4,413 yards, 7.73avg, 33TDs, 15INT, 4 Fumbles, 94.7 Rating

===================================

1991 ATL Falcons Brett Favre    0cmp,    4att,    0%cmp,      0yards,                  2INT, 0 QB Rating

1992 GB Packers Brett Favre   302cmp, 471 att, 64.1%cmp, 3,227 yards, 6.85avg, 18TDs, 13INT, 6 Fumbles, 85.3 Rating

1993 GB Packers Brett Favre   318cmp, 522 att, 60.9%cmp, 3,303 yards, 6.33avg, 19TDs, 24INT, 8 Fumbles, 72.2 Rating

=================================

2014 JX Jaguars Blake Bortles 280cmp, 475 att, 58.9%cmp, 2,908 yards, 6.12avg, 11TDs, 17INTs, 4 Fumbles, 69.5 Rating

2015 JX Jaguars Blake Bortles  57cmp, 106 att, 53.8%cmp,   698 yards, 6.59avg,  5TDs,  3INTs, 1 Fumble, 78.3 Rating

Staring down a receiver is a two way street. The defensive player has to believe in the intent of the quarterback. There is a fine line between staring down a receiver and looking off defenders.

Both of those actions are ahead of single read throws.

So yes, young quarterbacks get better from single reads, to progression passes, locking in on a reciever, to looking off defenders. Bortles is vastly improved in that regard from even last year so there is little doubt he can continue to improve.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/56...4-rankings

He is ranked 21st in Rotoworld's ranking which has Andrew Luck as number 2... so not sure how much weight you put on that ranking.

Quote:http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/56...4-rankings

He is ranked 21st in Rotoworld's ranking which has Andrew Luck as number 2... so not sure how much weight you put on that ranking.

That is a very bad fantasy call.  Indy defense is getting lit up week after week in the passing game.  I think Bortles is a lock for top 20 QB points.  He has upside to be a QB2 play this week,

Quote:Carr & Mariota > Bortles

Bridgewater, Manziel, & Jameis < Bortles
interesting take

Quote:That is a very bad fantasy call.  Indy defense is getting lit up week after week in the passing game.  I think Bortles is a lock for top 20 QB points.  He has upside to be a QB2 play this week,
There are just way too many QBs playing good ball in fantasy for you to need to play Bortles....

unless you had Brady and only 1 rostered QB.

Even then, Tyrod Taylor is available in a lot of leagues. I saw Dalton was dropped in one league.

Carr even might be the better play. He's available too.

Depending on how deep your league is.... I rarely play more than 12-14 team leagues because of how few fantasy options there are that deep.

Quote:Matt Jones and Justin Blackmon scared this franchise away from drafting a WR with a high pick. That is a shame too because it is exactly what we need. It appears the FO doesn't really care about helping BB out.
Dude... they tried to get Cobb. They wanted to help BB.

They also knew we needed help on D. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

there are a couple options for next offseason

And I like a guy like Michael Thomas from OSU if we draft a WR high...

Quote:Matt Jones and Justin Blackmon scared this franchise away from drafting a WR with a high pick. That is a shame too because it is exactly what we need. It appears the FO doesn't really care about helping BB out.

Sarcasm right?

;

;

If he can fix mechanical issues he can fix anything.