Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can a young QB fix the habit of staring down recievers?

Of all the complaints about Bortles, this is the one that worries me most.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

umm yea, most young QBs do it

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:umm yea, most young QBs do it
If this is true, then I feel a lot better about Bortles. 

Quote:If this is true, then I feel a lot better about Bortles.

I just watched Carr and Mariota this morning. Seems pretty true.

We better hope its fixed fast.

Quote:We better hope its fixed fast.
Agree.  And I wonder if he might be helped if we could get Lee and Thomas back on the field. 

Veteran Quarterbacks do it too.  If you have receivers running open it doesn't matter who you stare down.  Isn't it possible that we are inexperienced everywhere on offense and they have tons of work to do?

Seriously if this was year 4 and we had some solid talent and it was all the QB's fault then maybe I would agree.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Veteran Quarterbacks do it too.  If you have receivers running open it doesn't matter who you stare down.  Isn't it possible that we are inexperienced everywhere on offense and they have tons of work to do?

Seriously if this was year 4 and we had some solid talent and it was all the QB's fault then maybe I would agree.

This.  Blake will scan the field sometimes.  If you watch other games, there's time when I see vets like Rodgers lock on and fire too.

Huh

Quote:This.  Blake will scan the field sometimes.  If you watch other games, there's time when I see vets like Rodgers lock on and fire too.

Yep.  It depends on the play, if the QB likes their first read they will go with it.  Also, it's hard to tell if he's staring down a receiver if you can't see his eyes, the QB doesn't have to always move their head, they can move players with just their eyes as well.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 03:26 PM by jaxjags625.)

Carr & Mariota > Bortles

Bridgewater, Manziel, & Jameis < Bortles
Shock the world

Quote:Of all the complaints about Bortles, this is the one that worries me most.  

It should get better with time, Blake just doesn't process information fast enough right now, the game should slow down enough for him to consistently go through his progressions. 

Quote:Carr & Mariota > Bortles

Bridgewater, Manziel, & Jameis < Bortles

As of right now.  Time will tell.

Bortles has to stop staring down the receivers. He needs to learn how to throw the defense off.

Quote:Bortles has to stop staring down the receivers. He needs to learn how to throw the defense off.

If bb5 is the franchise qb we all hope he is, we'll see some real progress over the next 2 months. I think once things slow down for him he'll look really good.

Right now, I think if our receivers would just bail him out a couple more times a game, he'd look pretty darn good. As of now, because there are always a few key drops that, if we're caught would keep drives going or even result on td's,bb5 looks inconsistent.

To me, I think the execution around Blake and the coaching are bigger concerns than his reads...

Quote:Of all the complaints about Bortles, this is the one that worries me most.  

His accuracy issues are a much bigger concern with me. 

Its already been pointed out but not just young QBs do it. But also if Blake is ever lucky enough to have a healthy team around him I wonder if that would help him? Having multiple targets instead of trying to force it just to say ARob.

Quote:This.  Blake will scan the field sometimes.  If you watch other games, there's time when I see vets like Rodgers lock on and fire too.

I agree. Sometimes he stares and sometimes he scans. But I think he's progressing in the right direction. It's just not as fast as some of us would like.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM by jagforlife85.)

This offense desperately needs a dynamic receiver who can create separation and get yards after the catch, they foolishly passed on Amari Cooper who has made Derek Carr's life a lot easier. Carr's YPA has jumped from 5.46 last season to 8.07 this year, all because Cooper is averaging an unbelievable 8.8 yards after every catch, guys like Amari Cooper, Antonio Brown, and Odell Beckham are special and make a QB's life a lot easier because they're so dynamic with the ball in their hands. Just imagine the trio of Cooper/Robinson/Julius Thomas. 

When he was drafted they said he would need work and wasnt NFL ready ( not many are ) and would need work. Thats showing. I believe his work ethic will overcome his quirks and with some time he'll be just fine. Unfortunately for the fans and a long time of losing, the growing pains are not just affecting him

Blakes Life Matters

This regime (imo) has failed to put adequate playmakers around their young/raw QB. Going into the season with Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee, and Allen Hurns as Bortles primary outside weapons is unacceptable. It's frustrating because Derek Carr and Bridgewater have the requisite talent around them to succeed, Blake doesn't.