Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fred Taylor YPC

Yea, Taylor's YPC is freaking amazing.  Especially since he played before defenses in general were spread out by heavily passing offenses.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fred Taylor was a special breed.  If it weren't for all of the injuries early in his career he may have the All time rushing title in his pocket.  I remember his first few years he had that burn away speed.  Watch clips of his in the late 90's.  If he was in the open field he was gone.  A guy at 225 with wheels like that is almost unheard of.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Edgerrin James, Ladanian Tomlinson and Preist Holmes kept Taylor in the shadows.

Quote:I'd argue Jimmy is worthy, but WRs tend to have to wait awhile to get in anyways and now very good receivers are getting inflated stats because of how pass heavy the game has become, so his stats don't look as great in comparison.

Jimmy is Pride worthy.  I don't think he's worthy of the hall based on how the game changed while he was still a player.  His stats are solid, but the entire dynamic of the NFL changed during that period.  I don't see either Jimmy nor Kennan finding their way into Canton. 

Fred and Tony are truly the only 2 Jaguars who I see as being worthy of getting into the hall of fame.  Both proved to be among the best to play their position.  When you've got Jim Brown saying you're the most exciting player he's ever watched, that's high praise, and Taylor has that on his resume. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Dude was special.  I never fully appreciated it while he was playing.

I did, I almost cried when Gene let him go and I lost all respect for Gene then. I haven't recovered yet to be honest. Til this day I'm still upset Wayne Weaver let Gene release him. 

LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

Telling stat, mva. Cheers. This to me is as convincing an argument as one can make for Freddy to be in the HOF.

Elite production and relative longevity.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:It's absolutely ridiculous that not a single Jaguar is in the HOF yet. Maybe when we win our first SB the league might reexamine our franchise and include guys like Boselli, Smith, and McCardell into the hall.
Boselli didn't play long enough. Sad but true, it seems that one of the biggest qualifiers for an offensive lineman is how long they played. Boselli played at a very high level, but it was over a relatively short career. If he'd made it to ten seasons, he'd be a lock imo.

Jimmy Smith could have a convincing case made for him, but the game dramatically changed as he was playing it from a run-first league to basketball on grass. He was just one of several high-profile receivers who, had they played as few as five years earlier, would have had a shot at the Hall, but the game has changed too much and receivers put up much higher numbers now than they did then.

Keenan McCardell was overshadowed at a national level by Jimmy throughout their tenure in Jacksonville. That alone would probably be enough to lock him out of the Hall.

Quote:Adrian Peterson is closing in. His average has dropped the last couple seasons, however, he's still at 5.0 ypc and he's topped 2000 carries. Another 446 carries and he'll have made this list.
Does he have 446 more carries in him at as high a level as he's played at in the past? He's headed to the Hall someday unless his suspension is held against him (which it very well may be), but he's at the age where his performance can fall off.

Quote:It seemed FT was always in LT's shadow. LaDanian Tomlinson was always considered better and took the spot light.

As it relates, LT had over 3000 carries but only mustered a 4.3 average.
Fred played in Jacksonville. LT played in southern California. You do the math.

Quote:It seemed FT was always in LT's shadow. LaDanian Tomlinson was always considered better and took the spot light.

As it relates, LT had over 3000 carries but only mustered a 4.3 average.
To be fair, LT's YPC was often limited by the endzone.

Quote:Edgerrin James, Ladanian Tomlinson and Preist Holmes kept Taylor in the shadows.

That, and the injury bug that took carries from him.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:That, and the injury bug that took carries from him.

That, and how few All Pro and Pro Bowl votes he received. If he wasn't considered the best of his time (I know, I know) the voters will have a hard time finding a reason to select him over other very deserving candidates. There are only so many votes to go around. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Lets not forget Curtis "my favorite" Martin kept Fred in tje shadows as well. Along with the Bus...Jerome Bettis.

Luckily Fast Willy Parker let Fred have his first Pro Bowl

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM by Treestone Ice.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyf99vLzxXA

I'm sure y'all have seen this before, but I absolutely love this video. Best 6 minutes in Jag playoff history.

Shows Freddy's greatness and Brackens' insane get off in one video.

Magic!

Oh the memories

So distant, it seems made-up

We shall rise again
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Man I wish I could of seen him live, or even more of him to early for me as didn't really get into football till about 7 years ago, but seriously how can this guy not be considered one of the best ever?

I watch these videos and see Adrian Peterson (arguably the nr1 rb currently) and they're just in different leagues..

I stand by my comment that Fred is one of the best pure runners I've ever seen. You can find guys who can cut and juke like him in smaller players like McCoy and Sanders. You can find guys who has his power from similarly sized players.

But you don't find them both in the same player like you do with Freddy T

Quote:I stand by my comment that Fred is one of the best pure runners I've ever seen. 
I don't think you'll find any opposition on this board.

Like I always say, Fred was never the fastest, strongest, or most elusive....but damn he had an amazing combination of all of it.

Quote:Man I wish I could of seen him live, or even more of him to early for me as didn't really get into football till about 7 years ago, but seriously how can this guy not be considered one of the best ever?

I watch these videos and see Adrian Peterson (arguably the nr1 rb currently) and they're just in different leagues..

Same here. I was 7 when Jax became a team and though they've been my team since then, I didn't really start watching and following everything until like 2005/6
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Like I always say, Fred was never the fastest, strongest, or most elusive....but damn he had an amazing combination of all of it.

I have to disagree there were times when he showed he was the fastest, strongest, and most elusive guy on the field in a single play!!!