Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023, 10:06 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-05-2023, 06:34 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 04:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: You guys do know they monitor this site.  If we all say go defense they will draft offense just to piss you off?

Is this a documented fact or just an assumption?

There was a guy telling us all to pay attention to Gabbert during his last season at Mizzou, and he said he played some role in the FO.  That guy was credible, but he's long gone.  There hasn't been anyone like that on this forum since. And he wasn't asking us for opinions. He was telling us to get ready for Gabbert.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would do everything I could to keep continuity at my tackle spots. The Jaguars wouldn’t be trying to get Taylor secured under contract if Little was the answer.

We ain’t just throwing an offer up there on the table. They are hoping Taylor to stays in Duval. I think we had the 3rd or 4th highest scoring offense in team history and had both a thousand yard receiver and a thousand yard rusher behind this offensive line.

It’s all about the money so we’ll see what happens. Glad they got Engram to stay another year and they will work on getting him signed long term eventually.

It’s not about what have you done for me, it’s what can you do.

(03-05-2023, 10:12 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I would do everything I could to keep continuity at my tackle spots. The Jaguars wouldn’t be trying to get Taylor secured under contract if Little was the answer.

We ain’t just throwing an offer up there on the table. They are hoping Taylor to stays in Duval. I think we had the 3rd or 4th highest scoring offense in team history and had both a thousand yard receiver and a thousand yard rusher behind this offensive line.

It’s all about the money so we’ll see what happens. Glad they got Engram to stay another year and they will work on getting him signed long term eventually.

It’s not about what have you done for me, it’s what can you do.

The first sentence of this post and the last sentence of this post completely contradict each other. 

*shrug*

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 03:47 AM by Eric1. Edited 2 times in total.)

Trevor makes them all better than they really are, it was his (Taylor's) contract year and he finally had legit competition pushing him. So it's not surprising he had his best season. We'll see if that continues after he gets PAID in about a week though. Collect the comp pick and let him move on.

The front office probably does really want to keep Taylor, but they screwed themselves when they re-signed Cam. The logical play would have been to let Cam walk, start Little at LT this past season and give Taylor the new contract this off season. It would have made decisions at OT so much easier for the next couple of seasons.

(03-06-2023, 03:41 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Trevor makes them all better than they really are, it was his (Taylor's) contract year and he finally had legit competition pushing him. So it's not surprising he had his best season. We'll see if that continues after he gets PAID in about a week though. Collect the comp pick and let him move on.

The front office probably does really want to keep Taylor, but they screwed themselves when they re-signed Cam. The logical play would have been to let Cam walk, start Little at LT this past season and give Taylor the new contract this off season. It would have made decisions at OT so much easier for the next couple of seasons.

Hindsight is 20-20, but at the time, we had no idea if Little was any good, and Taylor had been disappointing.  We had to sign Cam, because we had to do everything possible to protect Trevor, who was, in many people's minds, heading into a make-or-break year.  Besides, what if we had let Cam walk, and the injury that happened to Cam had happened to Little instead?  We wouldn't have won the division or made the playoffs, never would have packed the stadium for the last game of the season or the playoff game, and we would have been sitting here with a great deal of doubt about the future of everything associated with this team.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 07:26 AM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-06-2023, 06:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 03:41 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Trevor makes them all better than they really are, it was his (Taylor's) contract year and he finally had legit competition pushing him. So it's not surprising he had his best season. We'll see if that continues after he gets PAID in about a week though. Collect the comp pick and let him move on.

Hindsight is 20-20, but at the time, we had no idea if Little was any good, and Taylor had been disappointing.  We had to sign Cam, because we had to do everything possible to protect Trevor, who was, in many people's minds, heading into a make-or-break year.  Besides, what if we had let Cam walk, and the injury that happened to Cam had happened to Little instead?  We wouldn't have won the division or made the playoffs, never would have packed the stadium for the last game of the season or the playoff game, and we would have been sitting here with a great deal of doubt about the future of everything associated with this team.

I think the Jags should have just tagged Cam last year. Another option would have been to let Cam walk and draft Neal. But those things didn’t happen and the team has Cam at $18 mil a year I believe.

(03-06-2023, 07:21 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 06:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Hindsight is 20-20, but at the time, we had no idea if Little was any good, and Taylor had been disappointing.  We had to sign Cam, because we had to do everything possible to protect Trevor, who was, in many people's minds, heading into a make-or-break year.  Besides, what if we had let Cam walk, and the injury that happened to Cam had happened to Little instead?  We wouldn't have won the division or made the playoffs, never would have packed the stadium for the last game of the season or the playoff game, and we would have been sitting here with a great deal of doubt about the future of everything associated with this team.

I think the Jags should have just tagged Cam last year. Another option would have been to let Cam walk and draft Neal. But those things didn’t happen and the team has Cam at $18 mil a year I believe.

Letting Cam walk and drafting Neal would have required a trade-down, and would have put Trevor at risk with a rookie LT.  I'd take a hard pass on that.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 08:32 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-06-2023, 07:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 07:21 AM)wg171 Wrote: I think the Jags should have just tagged Cam last year. Another option would have been to let Cam walk and draft Neal. But those things didn’t happen and the team has Cam at $18 mil a year I believe.

Letting Cam walk and drafting Neal would have required a trade-down, and would have put Trevor at risk with a rookie LT.  I'd take a hard pass on that.

Or they could have allowed Walker Little to play it, since he was essentially drafted in the 2nd RD just two years ago to play said position. He ultimately looked much quicker and comfortable over there when he stepped in for Robinson than he did over at RT. 

Cam Robinson is not that good. Uche Nwaneri did a great job breaking down how bad of a technician he is. He got schooled a few times by a [BLEEP] nobody in London when they played the Broncos. Guys got nearly 36' arms in length but gets in a T-Rex stance and lets his man come to him rather than jab him.

[Image: rex-the-green-dinosaur-toy-character-fro...xoBcHPo6g=]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 08:39 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think Cam could be a solid LG. He doesn't usually get overpowered, it's the quick move to the outside in space by the good edge rusher that usually gets him. At G he wouldn't have to worry about that

If Cam is a good team player he would play wherever he is asked. It's not like he would get less money

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 08:47 AM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-06-2023, 08:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 07:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Letting Cam walk and drafting Neal would have required a trade-down, and would have put Trevor at risk with a rookie LT.  I'd take a hard pass on that.

Or they could have allowed Walker Little to play it, since he was essentially drafted in the 2nd RD just two years ago to play said position. He ultimately looked much quicker and comfortable over there when he stepped in for Robinson than he did over at RT. 

Cam Robinson is not that good. Uche Nwaneri did a great job breaking down how bad of a technician he is. He got schooled a few times by a [BLEEP] nobody in London when they played the Broncos. Guys got nearly 36' arms in length but gets in a T-Rex stance and lets his man come to him rather than jab him.

Currently I’m a bit more concerned about RT than LT. Little does indeed seem much more comfortable at LT. If Taylor does walk what happens? Not to mention Little needs the playing time.

(03-06-2023, 08:42 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 08:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Or they could have allowed Walker Little to play it, since he was essentially drafted in the 2nd RD just two years ago to play said position. He ultimately looked much quicker and comfortable over there when he stepped in for Robinson than he did over at RT. 

Currently I’m a bit more concerned about RT than LT. Little does indeed seem much more comfortable at LT. If Taylor does walk what happens? Not to mention Little needs the playing time.

I think we're going to have to draft a pure RT / swing tackle in this draft between RD3 - RD4 if they decide Taylor is not worth the commanding asking rate that's been thrown out there. 

I could see Baalke once again packaging up late round picks though to move up to secure a player he likes for depth with potential back-up value though. 

I was hoping Cody Mauch would be a guy for us but he's too good now and won't slip under the radar. But, going into this summer. I would like to see Walker Little get a fair shot at the starting LT job and I really think him and Robinson both need to alternate between the two positions for evaluations this summer.

Maybe need to actually have the starting line-up get more work in during preseason for that reason. Again, all of that is rooted on what happens with Taylor. At the minimum, a cheap veteran is probably signed up as a safety net and a draft pick is invested at some point. 

I think Baalke has to double dip at either OT or OG in this draft. Just my opinion. LG/RG are shaky with injuries and age concerns. Then you might event want a guy that can play Center in a pinch like another Shatley type incase Fortner regresses.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Right tackle shouldn't be that hard to manage this offseason. There's a half dozen 30-something players who can do the job on a reasonable contract for a half or full season while a drafted guy gets up to speed. Little and Cam are the left side, we can plug and play a right side guy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We know last year TL was one of the fastest getting the ball out in the league. That helped all of our defensive linemen on their pass protection ratings. What we do not know if it was planned that way because the line couldn't hold up. Our o-line was ranked in the bottom half of the league last year. They have to fix the o-line this year in order to take the next step. Just my opinion....
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-06-2023, 10:14 AM)Jag149 Wrote: We know last year TL was one of the fastest getting the ball out in the league. That helped all of our defensive linemen on their pass protection ratings. What we do not know if it was planned that way because the line couldn't hold up.  Our o-line was ranked in the bottom half of the league last year. They have to fix the o-line this year in order to take the next step. Just my opinion....

You're right. You're not alone in this train of thought. I thought we were good with offensive line play as well. Until that Detroit game happened. Then I started REALLY watching the line play. It's not horrible but it's not great. As you said. Lawrence was sandwiched in between Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes last year in terms of who had the fastest release at one point down the stretch. 

All I could think about was the pressure we saw him under in Arrowhead as well. There were a few big opportunities missed simply because he had a guy right on his toe or in his line of trajectory passing wise. It threw off quite a few big time passes that could have resulted in us potentially winning that game or keeping it closer in the 4th quarter. 

That's why I think Baalke double dips this year at OG or OT. Too risky not to invest in it at this point now. Especially seeing what Lawrence can do with little time in the pocket. Just give him a little bit more and we're golden. Big fan of drafting Darnell Washington still on the opening night if he's there as he can help in passing and blocking but if he's off the board it wouldn't hurt my feelings seeing O'Cyrus Torrence or Broderick Jones' name called 24th overall.

(03-06-2023, 10:14 AM)Jag149 Wrote: We know last year TL was one of the fastest getting the ball out in the league. That helped all of our defensive linemen on their pass protection ratings. What we do not know if it was planned that way because the line couldn't hold up.  Our o-line was ranked in the bottom half of the league last year. They have to fix the o-line this year in order to take the next step. Just my opinion....

They adjusted as the year progressed into more quick release play calls - and it included more lateral ZBS stuff where the linemen are only asked to make one big lateral move - typically setting up a quick throw the other way. No dropping to form a pocket and no 2-3 second blocks on those plays.  
There were games I rewatched on the back half of the year that the line did this on 40% of the pass plays.
 You don't call that stuff so often if your line can protect. It's gimmicky, and it eventually gets shut down by better secondaries that recognize it after a while.

I thought it was very clear that Doug was mitigating the weak pass protection with play calls, blocking scheme, knowing his QB could get it to his first or second read very quickly, and knowing his QB was very evasive when pressure did reach him. 

It worked pretty well most of the time after the bye week with a few exceptions. 
Nonetheless - this is not the recipe for success you want to embrace while moving into some "window of contention" with a young franchise QB.  You'd ideally want to protect him better than that. 

I won't espouse the perfect free agency or draft formula to make this better, but I do hope it is a priority.

(03-06-2023, 09:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 08:42 AM)wg171 Wrote: Currently I’m a bit more concerned about RT than LT. Little does indeed seem much more comfortable at LT. If Taylor does walk what happens? Not to mention Little needs the playing time.

I think we're going to have to draft a pure RT / swing tackle in this draft between RD3 - RD4 if they decide Taylor is not worth the commanding asking rate that's been thrown out there. 

I could see Baalke once again packaging up late round picks though to move up to secure a player he likes for depth with potential back-up value though. 

I was hoping Cody Mauch would be a guy for us but he's too good now and won't slip under the radar. But, going into this summer. I would like to see Walker Little get a fair shot at the starting LT job and I really think him and Robinson both need to alternate between the two positions for evaluations this summer.

Maybe need to actually have the starting line-up get more work in during preseason for that reason. Again, all of that is rooted on what happens with Taylor. At the minimum, a cheap veteran is probably signed up as a safety net and a draft pick is invested at some point. 

I think Baalke has to double dip at either OT or OG in this draft. Just my opinion. LG/RG are shaky with injuries and age concerns. Then you might event want a guy that can play Center in a pinch like another Shatley type incase Fortner regresses.

I think they're going to have to let Taylor walk because they can't get him under the salary cap at the price he will command.  Then I think they will draft a swing tackle somewhere in the middle rounds.  Or maybe even sign one in 2nd tier free agency.

Ridley has officially been reinstated and is now dued 11.1 million guaranteed.

(03-06-2023, 05:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/eazyengram/status/16...81093?s=20

That's REALLY mature on his part. My fidelity is ti the longterm health of this franchise, but I hope they take care of him.

Competition between Cam and Little, with the loser going to right tackle. Agree with signing depth and drafting some more beef as well.