Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

We’re projected to be around $23 million over the cap. Any ideas what the Jags can do to create space and get a few more pieces to turn ourselves into a Super Bowl contender?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2023, 08:59 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: We’re projected to be around $23 million over the cap. Any ideas what the Jags can do to create space and get a few more pieces to turn ourselves into a Super Bowl contender?

It's gonna have to involve freeing up cap space for some O'linemen..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Cutting griffen and Jenkins will free up a good amount of space. I'm guessing we'll do some restructuring as well.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 09:05 PM by jrvegeeta.)

(01-21-2023, 09:00 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 08:59 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: We’re projected to be around $23 million over the cap. Any ideas what the Jags can do to create space and get a few more pieces to turn ourselves into a Super Bowl contender?

It's gonna have to involve freeing up cap space for some O'linemen..

Agreed. This all but guarantees that Griffin is gone. Hell, our secondary ended up playing better without him.

(01-21-2023, 09:01 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Cutting griffen and Jenkins will free up a good amount of space. I'm guessing we'll do some restructuring as well.

As much as I don’t want to cut or trade Jenkins, we may not have a choice. Still, we can always draft his replacement - we have plenty of draft picks.

Most of the losses in general are coming from the defensive line in March. A lot of backfilling to do there.

I don't think they cut Jenkins. Really going to need Walker and Lloyd to step up in 2023.

The biggest decision that I feel personally is really what the long term plan is for Caldwell defensively.

Walker and Lloyd struggled as rookies. They were playing, IMHO, completely out of position. This team may need to consider moving Walker inside at a higher capacity and Lloyd needs to play weakside.

Engram needs to be tagged. It's a shame they tied Cam Robinson up at LT when Walker Little looks like he could handle it. You're going to lose Jawaan Taylor more than likely with Walker Little taking the RT spot.

Guard.
Offensive Tackle.
Defensive Tackle.
Tight End.

That's my priority.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I've been assured by posters on this forum that the salary cap no longer means anything so we should be able to bring everyone back, right?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Drafting well will of course be key too.Simply have to take the best interior lineman in the first round imo.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

Damn. This thread this quick?

Let me relish in this season

(01-21-2023, 09:15 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I've been assured by posters on this forum that the salary cap no longer means anything so we should be able to bring everyone back, right?

It certainly doesn't seem to matter for other dynasties that get built... but maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the league as a whole...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 09:27 PM by Rockman1966. Edited 1 time in total.)

Spend whatever it takes to get a true TE. Kelce, and just know, Goeddert, just demonstrated how a quality TE impact your offense. Engram is more WR.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 09:29 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-21-2023, 09:24 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 09:15 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I've been assured by posters on this forum that the salary cap no longer means anything so we should be able to bring everyone back, right?

It certainly doesn't seem to matter for other dynasties that get built... but maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the league as a whole...
Most dynasties are built via the draft and the free agency pick ups are usually critical needs being filled at critical positions.

Baalke is really fixing to have to cut his teeth here in the 2023 draft. I wouldnt be surprised if he tries trading up again if he and Doug are confident its an impact player that can start right away.

We need to get bigger on the line and better. Torrence at Guard and Dexter at DT is a start.

(01-21-2023, 09:26 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Spend whatever it takes to get a true TE. Kelce, and just know, Goeddert, just demonstrated how a quality TE impact your offense. Engram is more WR.
Agreed. Been saying Mayer now for months. If not him. Washington or Kincaid at 24. Only player that tempts me outside of TE is Torrence at Guard.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-21-2023, 09:24 PM)mikesez Wrote:

It Really shouldn't for a Team with a qb on a rookie contract.

Cuts:
Griffin
RRH
Jenkins
Chaisson

If we just cut Griffin, Chaisson, Claybrooks, and Jordan Smith that's $19+ of the 20 we're over the cap. Jenkins is $8.5 more and RRH is around that same number. We can get there fairly easily and that's not considering restructures or other extensions that could help immediately.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-21-2023, 09:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 09:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: It certainly doesn't seem to matter for other dynasties that get built... but maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the league as a whole...
Most dynasties are built via the draft and the free agency pick ups are usually critical needs being filled at critical positions.

Baalke is really fixing to have to cut his teeth here in the 2023 draft. I wouldnt be surprised if he tries trading up again if he and Doug are confident its an impact player that can start right away.

We need to get bigger on the line and better. Torrence at Guard and Dexter at DT is a start.

(01-21-2023, 09:26 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Spend whatever it takes to get a true TE.  Kelce, and just know, Goeddert, just demonstrated how a quality TE impact your offense.  Engram is more WR.
Agreed. Been saying Mayer now for months. If not him. Washington or Kincaid at 24. Only player that tempts me outside of TE is Torrence at Guard.

I'm all aboard the Mayer train.. That dude can ball. Been watching him all season, he was a major reason why ND did as well this season. Without him, ND doesn't make the top 25.. 

Snatch him up with the first pick, and load up the o-line. Dude would feast learning from Engram.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Cap will go up 12 mil

Plus Griffin and Jenkins cuts

Restructure a vet or two, and kaboom!

34 mil in cap space

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 10:07 PM by CaddyUTV. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-15-2023, 02:25 AM)Eric1 Wrote: I posted it earlier in this thread just seconds after it was tweeted, but I'll post it again. Ridley was with it.
https://twitter.com/CalvinRidley1/status...5513248768

I'd say after draft picks, that leaves us with room for 1 big name , imapct guy or 2 rotational guys. I'd see the case for the impact player, + maybe even consolidating picks to trade up to top 10-15 to get another potential impact player. Time will tell.

A few cuts that probably won't hurt in the long run, followed by a lot of restructuring. Most teams figure out how to get it done. Baalke going to be earning his paycheck.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(01-21-2023, 10:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Cap will go up 12 mil

34 mil in cap space
I’m on the fence about Jenkins and RRH.

Griffin can kick rocks though

I'd like to see Engram, Jenkins, and RRH come back. Will need to restructure a number of contracts but this feels like a roster of guys who want to be here and be willing to do what is needed to stay together and add pieces.

Griffin is obviously a goner.

(01-21-2023, 10:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Cap will go up 12 mil

34 mil in cap space
I’m on the fence about Jenkins and RRH.

Griffin can kick rocks though

Griffin is as good as gone.

Jenkins is a meh for me. Decent player but can be upgraded.

Cutting RRH would be a mistake. Don't weaken that DL any more than it already is. He is our best interior guy.