Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why Gus Bradley's Defense hasnt worked

There were multiple reasons why the defense struggled last year, but the biggest factor was the fact that in most games, they were on the field far too long for their own good.  The offense left them in lousy situations more often than not.  As a result, the defense simply wore out late in games.

There were certainly areas of concern, but keep in mind that the linebacking corps was missing the starting MLB for a portion of the season, suffered injuries in the secondary, and trotted out a lot of young guys playing on the corners, and at safety.  All things considered, we got a glimpse of some decent play from that defense despite the lack of experience and depth, and both of those areas can be resolved this off season.

Injuries impact every team.  We lost starters at LB, Safety, and Corner this year at various times, and still managed to keep our inept offense in games until late. 

To say Gus' defense didn't work ignores the hand they were dealt and only focuses on the stats.  With an improved offense, that should help the defense.  With additions to the defense, it should also help to get the unit to the next level.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think we end up drafting a CB or LB who projects well to FS in the NFL. true safeties are hard to find in this class and it isn't very deep. Might as well draft a great athlete and try to develop him.

Defense can only be so good when they're on the field 3/4 of the game.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

The defense didn't work because Winston Guy was on the field...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

We had some good first half football from the D last year. Problem is lack of depth and an offense that doesn't give the D a break. If we can sustain some drives this year and win time of possesion, it will show on defense also

They addressed every aspect of the D in free agency so at least there will be some vets mixed in. Added a CB, LB, DT and a S

I think they go heavy on offense in the draft

Quote:The defense didn't work because Winston Guy was on the field...

What for a whole game?

Welp, there are good points on the issues here. However, to compete in our division, both sides needs improvement. Offense to deal with Watt, a healthy Clowney and now Wilfork and a D to compete with Luck and the new one year last gasp Gore and Johnson. I think they have another year in them.

One strong offensive team. One strong defensive team.

As I see improvement, I also see our hands full.

In the next couple years, our youth will overtake them, hopefully. But this year will be a true test.
Blakes Life Matters

I've got to admit. I'd give up a second for Gipson.

Quote:We had some good first half football from the D last year. Problem is lack of depth and an offense that doesn't give the D a break. If we can sustain some drives this year and win time of possesion, it will show on defense also

Second half of the season was better than the first half of the season, too.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Stole this from another poster on this site, the last 12 games of the season, better known as life after Guy, the Jaguars had a top 5 pass defense and ranked 11th overall.

And that's with spare parts. Can't wait to see what he can do with top flight personnel...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2015, 09:41 PM by jseymour.)

Quote:#1.) The Jaguars Defense finished the regular season ranked 26th in the NFL allowing 370.8 yards per game and points allowed 412. 30th in INTs (a few from players that are no longer Jaguars & non-DBs) with 6 total, 32nd in PDs.

#2.) You usually dont sign backup Free Agents to giant deals, but GM Dave Caldwell did because he had the cap space & needed the talent to compete on the depth chart. Skuta might be the OTTO, Odrick could be the replacement for Big Red sharing reps with Tyson Alualu, and DT Leo Williams might be in play with Marks & Miller as the backup.  I guess we will have to wait a few weeks to find out what really is going to happen.  I am only guessing at this point.

#3.) The Defense performed poorly for most of the entire season with moments of greatness, but mainly failure.  The only true shinning light was the Defensive Line & rookie Telvin Smith whom played consitent all year (exception of DLine against the run first half of season).

#4.) Research?  Its a fan message board I'm not being paid for my opinion or stories you take this way too serious... why you mad bro?

Mostly due to our young offence not being able to stay on the field to give the D a rest. 3 and outs will kill any defence over several quarters. The scheme itself shows flashes of working. Against the trend of the last serveral years our pass rush did get to the target and distroy some very good offenses.

Did the secondary do great ...... no, but much better play at the end of the year than the beginning. We got rid of the dead weight on the team 2 years ago, last year was a transition year - this year and next will be the make or break for this system.

How about the coaches didn't make adjustments after halftime? I like that excuse more than the team was void of talent when Bradley inherited the roster.

Quote:I'll admit I didnt fully read the article (and still havent completely) but I did notice further down they have Ball as being the best CB on the Jaguars....

so the McCray thing is again a bit over hyped...

Ball and McCray split reps at RCB, so either they were both good or the Jags scheme made RCB look good. Watching McCray shut down Dez Bryant makes me think it's the former.

Gratz was poor at LCB, and Bryant destroyed him in the second half after changing sides (smart move Garrett). Presumably Gratz will be the one replaced by House this year. Maybe Gratz can play FS?

Blackmon's play dropped off a cliff. He was a liability last year after a strong 2013.

Unlike some others here, I'm not really sold on Colvin as a cover corner, although he did surprise me with his speed. He's a lot faster than I expected, especially after coming off an ACL injury. He might be another option at safety, but then we'd need a nickel CB.

Has anyone signed Ball yet? If not, it would be good to get him back. You can't have too many good CBs.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:How about the coaches didn't make adjustments after halftime? I like that excuse more than the team was void of talent when Bradley inherited the roster.

Caldwell stripped the roster, so Bradley has a legitimate excuse. Lowery had a good year for Atlanta, and is a much better FS than anything we now have. Daryl Smith, Mathis, and Knighton were better than our starters at those positions last season. Dawan Landry played pretty well too, maybe better than Cyprien.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The rest of the everybody's disagree very strongly. I don't know anyone who has studied him lately that things he will last until day 3, and plenty have him gone top 50.
Oh maybe he's jumped up, that happens from time to time especially when teams get word that other teams are interested in a hidden gem.

Quote:Stole this from another poster on this site, the last 12 games of the season, better known as life after Guy, the Jaguars had a top 5 pass defense and ranked 11th overall.

And that's with spare parts. Can't wait to see what he can do with top flight personnel...
Jonathan Cyprien's head injury and his Strong Safety appearance was truly missed too...

Quote:I think Gratz for whatever reason took a step back but I also think the CB play opposite of McCray improved when Colvin was inserted into the lineup. Do you not think the unit will improve with the addition of House and hopefully continued development from Colvin?

I am not saying all hope is lost, but the team really needs a strong fast Free Safety in addition to Colvin improving this year & House playing up to expectations.  I am unsure of Gratz's fate on this team, he'll have to prove himself in preseason I'm sure to get a starting role.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:Ball and McCray split reps at RCB, so either they were both good or the Jags scheme made RCB look good. Watching McCray shut down Dez Bryant makes me think it's the former.

Gratz was poor at LCB, and Bryant destroyed him in the second half after changing sides (smart move Garrett). Presumably Gratz will be the one replaced by House this year. Maybe Gratz can play FS?

Blackmon's play dropped off a cliff. He was a liability last year after a strong 2013.

Unlike some others here, I'm not really sold on Colvin as a cover corner, although he did surprise me with his speed. He's a lot faster than I expected, especially after coming off an ACL injury. He might be another option at safety, but then we'd need a nickel CB.

Has anyone signed Ball yet? If not, it would be good to get him back. You can't have too many good CBs.

The corners were not aggressive enough is what Gus Bradley had stated most of the season.

Quote: I guess they didnt want to admit that Josh Evans was a failed draft pick.
Wasn't he a 5th rounder? 

Not really a failure if he can be a competent back up.

I don't think Brown is the answer, but given the options, he's an upgrade, if even slightly, to what we had.

Maybe we can "nail" FS next year some how... 

I think the defense is still taking shape... I think the team as a whole is. Rome wasn't built in a day.

If after 3 seasons we end up competitive and only needing "a couple more pieces" like a FS and MLB I would say the plan is working.

Granted... we'd like to see this defense ranked upper half to call it a good one... but the eye test should tell you that at times it was a really really good unit, hampered by some poor play by the O and ST