Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Eateries in Seattle are beginning to shutdown as $15 dollar minimum wage looms

Quote:I live in Seattle and for those of you wanting to move here, don't. We don't want you. LOL.

As for the article, it's quite the hyperbolic piece. A few old establishments just closed down due to horrid management, and not because of the minimum wage. Minimum wage is 9.47 statewide, and will go up to 11 an hour in a few weeks.

And for people saying food service can't be a career, you don't think very far out of the box. I was a truck driver and a farmer all my life, retired at 28, got bored, and went to the local Dominos and got a job there. Now I'm the General Manager of the store and make an average of 1300 a week, and am next in line to be an area supervisor in the next year, which will bump me to a low 6 figure pay.

But yes, keep thinking these jobs are for idiots (because there are a lot of them in these jobs), because that means when guys like me come along and we shine like a polished gem, we get what we want, where we want, and go up the ladder as fast as we want. Couldn't do that if we had other smart people working there.

You know, it's kind of sad that the average dominoe's manager makes more money than the average teacher.  And I'm not just saying that because my wife is a teacher.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015, 12:07 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:I had no idea that TMD really worked in fast food. The more you know. I agree with a lot of what you say; but many of these restaurant owners are specifically mentioning the $11 (and upcoming $15) minimum wages, as cause for their closures. The minimum wage wouldn't hurt that much if these were big fortune 500 companies who could afford all of the operating costs, but these are just small businesses and mom and pop chains who simply cannot afford it. They have the choice of either laying off people (and causing more unemployment), or just to close up shop altogether.

It's always the little guy that suffers the most.
Everytime I hear this line in regards to minimum wage or the businesses in general what I actually hear is "it's the little business owner that suffers the most but not the little guy working for him, screw that guy who cares."

Quote:Everytime I hear this line in regards to minimum wage or the businesses in general what I actually hear is "it's the little business owner but not the little guy working for him, screw that guy."
That's irrelevant because everybody gets screwed when the business goes down.

Quote:That's irrelevant because everybody gets screwed when the business goes down.
It's not irrelevant. It's a way to sum up the flawed logic used in the argument

1. Those jobs are for kids to earn some pocket cash the owners shouldnt have to pay living wages

2. Pull yourself up by the bootstaps and get educated

3. not everyone is cut out for college, thems the breaks, 

4. These people/generation are lazy why don't they just get  a job?

5. Over a quarter of the jobs are at or a little above minimum wage

6. take away the restrictions that small business owners have they should be able to pay less!!!

7. take away the safety nets, if people pulled themselves up by the bootsraps and stopped working kiddie jobs as careers they wouldn't need them.

See the problem with all those statements? It's very close to circular logic if not actually circular logic. 

Unless you're born with that silver spoon, nobody is going to hand you a better life. Want a better life? Get some sort of education. I already provided ways towards free education and tutorials. Nobody is saying that you HAVE to go to college and get a degree.

News Flash: Not every employee at a fast food establishment is going to make the big bucks in management. If you're counting on that happening, it's possible that you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like I said earlier in this thread, employees should be paid based on the skill they can provide for the business and non management in the fast food industry requires next to zero skill. Thats why you see a lot of kids work in that industry. You have to start somewhere to gain experience to move forward in life..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Unless you're born with that silver spoon, nobody is going to hand you a better life. Want a better life? Get some sort of education. I already provided ways towards free education and tutorials. Nobody is saying that you HAVE to go to college and get a degree.

News Flash: Not every employee at a fast food establishment is going to make the big bucks in management. If you're counting on that happening, it's possible that you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like I said earlier in this thread, employees should be paid based on the skill they can provide for the business and non management in the fast food industry requires next to zero skill. Thats why you see a lot of kids work in that industry. You have to start somewhere to gain experience to move forward in life..

Entry level at fast food beings experience in finance, customer service, logistics, and operations. Those are not bad qualities to acquire, but shouldn't be for someone in their 30s.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Entry level at fast food beings experience in finance, customer service, logistics, and operations. Those are not bad qualities to acquire, but shouldn't be for someone in their 30s.

Nope, not at all. I understand sometimes you have to take a step back in order to go forward but that's life. What you do, how much you learn and how you apply it to your working career is up to you..

Is there anything that shows the amount of restaurants closing before and after the minimum wage passed? Asking because restaurants are one of the worst, most volatile businesses you can be in. The close at an alarming rate in every city in the country. It is a terrible business to be in.

;

;

Quote:Is there anything that shows the amount of restaurants closing before and after the minimum wage passed? Asking because restaurants are one of the worst, most volatile businesses you can be in. The close at an alarming rate in every city in the country. It is a terrible business to be in.

Which is extremely true. Unless they're a well known franchise like McDonalds. They usually don't close down, at least not very often.. But the restaurant business is one of the more treacherous waters to be in..

Quote:I live in Seattle and for those of you wanting to move here, don't. We don't want you. LOL.

As for the article, it's quite the hyperbolic piece. A few old establishments just closed down due to horrid management, and not because of the minimum wage. Minimum wage is 9.47 statewide, and will go up to 11 an hour in a few weeks.

And for people saying food service can't be a career, you don't think very far out of the box. I was a truck driver and a farmer all my life, retired at 28, got bored, and went to the local Dominos and got a job there. Now I'm the General Manager of the store and make an average of 1300 a week, and am next in line to be an area supervisor in the next year, which will bump me to a low 6 figure pay.

But yes, keep thinking these jobs are for idiots (because there are a lot of them in these jobs), because that means when guys like me come along and we shine like a polished gem, we get what we want, where we want, and go up the ladder as fast as we want. Couldn't do that if we had other smart people working there.

Did you start out making $1300 a week? If not, then you're missing the point that's being made....
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Did you start out making $1300 a week? If not, then you're missing the point that's being made....
Thank God. A user that finally understands the point of this discussion and this story.

Quote:Thank God. A user that finally understands the point of this discussion and this story.
Plenty of people understand the point of the discussion. He was stating he made his way up in the service industry that is a joke job to people here saying it's only for kids as I pointed out in my post. I think he understands the point just fine. 

Quote:Plenty of people understand the point of the discussion. He was stating he made his way up in the service industry that is a joke job to people here saying it's only for kids as I pointed out in my post. I think he understands the point just fine.

What's the dominant age group employed by these franchises? Middle aged men and women?

Quote:Plenty of people understand the point of the discussion. He was stating he made his way up in the service industry that is a joke job to people here saying it's only for kids as I pointed out in my post. I think he understands the point just fine.

He might understand it, but you seem to be missing it. No one has called anything a joke. Stating that a position has predominantly been filled by young, first time job seekers is NOT calling something a joke.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Nope, not at all. I understand sometimes you have to take a step back in order to go forward but that's life. What you do, how much you learn and how you apply it to your working career is up to you..

Why don't you come down from soap box and tell us what you do for a living? And how hard you've worked doing it?

Quote:Why don't you come down from soap box and tell us what you do for a living? And how hard you've worked doing it?

Take it how you like. I'm proud of myself and my education. If that bothers you, do something about it. What I did, anyone can do..

And to answer your question, biomeds..

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015, 04:05 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:You know, it's kind of sad that the average dominoe's manager makes more money than the average teacher.  And I'm not just saying that because my wife is a teacher.

Shoot he's got me wanting to go apply at dominos, at 65k a year he's making more then almost everyone I know.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:He might understand it, but you seem to be missing it. No one has called anything a joke. Stating that a position has predominantly been filled by young, first time job seekers is NOT calling something a joke.

Quote:What's the dominant age group employed by these franchises? Middle aged men and women?

Just because it used to be predominantly young does not mean it is still that way. My comment on it being a joke was piggy backing on a previous comment how that type of employment is used to ridicule people (TMD). You think less of people for working these jobs once they are not teenagers anymore. If that's the work they can find than it's better than nothing though. 

I only have anecdotal evince but most restaurants and bars I frequent are staffed by what appears to be mostly mid 20's-40's range. I'm not sure I would classify that as middle aged entirely but they certainly are not a majority being teenagers. 

Quote:Just because it used to be predominantly young does not mean it is still that way. My comment on it being a joke was piggy backing on a previous comment how that type of employment is used to ridicule people (TMD). You think less of people for working these jobs once they are not teenagers anymore. If that's the work they can find than it's better than nothing though.

I only have anecdotal evince but most restaurants and bars I frequent are staffed by what appears to be mostly mid 20's-40's range. I'm not sure I would classify that as middle aged entirely but they certainly are not a majority being teenagers.

I don't think less of anyone. If you check my post above, if anything, I commended them for having a job and not just drifting by on our tax dollars..

And I have eyes, I've seen the age group that works at these positions, and most are young kids..