Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The RB Situation

Quote:I hope we draft amari cooper and then a RB with the 2nd pick

bortles can't get enough weapons and we got money to spend

blackmon, thomas, cooper, robinson, hearns, lee

we're gonna scare somebody damnit, there's gonna be hell to pay
Hearns?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I hope we draft amari cooper and then a RB with the 2nd pick

bortles can't get enough weapons and we got money to spend

blackmon, thomas, cooper, robinson, hearns, lee

we're gonna scare somebody damnit, there's gonna be hell to pay

I think ideally it is pass rusher in the first, Perryman in the second, running back in the third.

I'm kinda leaning to Gurley if god willing he is there in the 2nd.  I wasnt for an RB until 3rd or 4th but with the FA signings I'm ok with him in the 2nd since I don't see a FS worth that high of a pick in round 2

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Duke Johnson in Round 3

Boy, this is a tuff crowd to please. First Toby starts the season, gets hurt in the first game and comes back prematurely and was not even close to being healthy enough to grind away which is his strong suit. His motor was not even close to running on all 8. For that, he got skinned alive by the naysayers who wanted him gone or cut. DROB steps in and does more than anyone would have thought or predicted until he too got hurt and by that time Toby was coming around again health wise and showed signs of what they brought him here for in the first place. And now, all of a sudden DROB can't get any kudos for the job he did last year either.

Frankly, I just don't get all this "we need an elite RB" on this team. Here's a news flash for you................ Marshawn Lynch could not be the back he is and was last year with this current OL playing in front of him. Why is it so hard for people to admit....................THAT IS THE PROBLEM ON THIS TEAM! As for DeMarco Murry not coming here...........what idiot in their right mind with his potential would want to play behind this OL at it's current condition? Come on guys, just because DeMarco doesn't want to come here doesn't make him a bad guy or a loser. To me, he's showing just how smart he really is by saying no. The JAGS are NOT going to draw elite players that will simply want to play here because of the talent pool quite yet. But, that doesn't mean in a year or two or three, the DeMarco Murrays of the NFL at that time won't be drawn to the JAGS. They haven't proved "anything" yet to warrant the superstars giving them 1st choice on where they wanna go.

David Johnson is my guy.
Shock the world

I think the fact that the management was aggressive enough to pursue a high ticket FA in Demarco Murray, coming off a high touch season as he was, shows the lack of confidence in finding a true stud in this draft class, and a clear sign that they aren't exactly sold on the idea of Denard as a feature RB.

Personally I like Gurley, but again, its hard to be entirely sold on him knowing his medicical issues thus far. We probably will have a better idea of how he fares as we get closer to the draft, but as of now- im not sure its safe to bank on him returning to form.

One option I'd like for us to pursue is Steven Jackson. And the reason why is that on critical short yardage situations, where we struggled mightily last year, he is one of the best- even if there is contact. In his past season with the Falcons, he was averaging 2.7 yards after contact, 5th best in the NFL. His days of being a feature back are over, but in short yardage situations he could really be an asset. Not to mention he was an excellent pass-blocker with a 99.0 Efficiency from PFF. Thats exactly what we need from him as a 3rd down back.

Check out this article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...m-jackson/

Short yardage guru who excels after contact and a 3rd down back who can pass protect extremely well. Sounds like a great fit alongside Denard and Toby.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2015, 03:54 AM by TheBmanCometh.)

If Gurley, Coleman, or Abdullah are available, I'm fine with them picking them up in the second round (I'm assuming Gordon goes in the first)...unless a stud CB is sitting there, let's roll the dice in the 3rd round on a RB.

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

I don't want another "just a guy" running back.   We already have 3 of those.  What we need is a real difference-maker, someone defenses fear, someone defenses game-plan around, someone who freezes the linebackers on a play-action fake.   Imagine a linebacker's reaction on a play-action fake when he's looking at Julius Thomas with one eye and Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon with the other eye.  

That's why, if we're going to draft a RB this year, I want him to come in the first 2 rounds.   After that, it's a crap shoot.   Why not use late round draft picks on developmental offensive linemen instead?  

My ideal scenario at this point would be to use pick #3 on Dante Fowler, then try to trade back up in the first round to get Gurley or Gordon. 

I was intrigued and excited to pick up Murray for a few years via here agency. We had the money to spend and it would have allowed us to continue to build other areas through the draft.

But now that Murray is out of the question, I an defaulting back to my original opinion. Stick with Toby and Shoelace for this season. Use the draft to address other needs besides running back.

If after the 2015 session Toby is still Toby and Shoelace doesn't look to be the guy we hope he can be, then target a high end rb in the 2016 draft.

Let's go get Latavius Murray.

Quote:I'm willing to start the season with Denard and Toby.   What I do not want to do is spend a mid-round pick on a mid-round RB talent.   What we lack is the elite stud running back, and that usually comes with a first round pick.  

I think the success of the running game depends as much on the offensive line as it does on the RB.  
I'm with 'ya on this. Where the running game is concerned, there really is no virtue to wasting high drafts on mediocre talent. We have a substantial running back corps in Denard Robinson and Toby Gerhart. Neither of these guys have impressed anyone as being 'elite', but they are capable of 'holding the fort down' until the day comes that we do land an elite running back. And like 'the real marty' said, the o-line makes or breaks not only the passing game, but the running game too. Let's get a stellar o-line and D. Robinson will look like Demarco Murray!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

As I explained in another thread, I think if the team trades out of the top ten, it wouldn't be a total shock to me to see the team go RB in the first round.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Draft a guy, use him up, dump him.  Repeat.

Quote:that's mean

That's what happens when girls do that to you.
Blakes Life Matters

Last year Toby was the answer. Runner up for Heisman trophy. Little mileage. Bruiser.

Now after one lousy season, hampered by injury and a saran wrap OLine he's an afterthought.

With Denard showing a flash or two, and an improved OLine , I think the running game can improve. Get the passing game to improve and it opens up the stacked box. Maybe Storm can come through?

Draft a RB and let's see how it plays out.

It's a crapshoot. We dump, Forsett and he goes to Ravens and shines. So before we blame the RB, like Gerhart, let's look at the system, the line, the respect for the pass game.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Boy, this is a tuff crowd to please.

Yes, we are a tough crowd to please.  With 9 total wins in the past 3 seasons you'd think we'd be more happy.

On topic, our top 3 RBs gained 1,094 total rushing yards last year (DRob-582, Toby-326, Todman-186).   Murray rushed for 1,845 yards alone.

DRob & Toby should improve this year with a better offensive line if they remain healthy but we're coming off of Freddie T and Mojo so we do know what a really good RB looks like.

It would've been a blasphemous move for us to sign Murray for all that money he's asking, when this is one of the strongest RB draft classes in a while.

Round 1: Dante Fowler JR (LEO) Florida

Round 2: Todd Gurly II (RB) Georgia
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Quote:It would've been a blasphemous move for us to sign Murray for all that money he's asking, when this is one of the strongest RB draft classes in a while.

Round 1: Dante Fowler JR (LEO) Florida

Round 2: Todd Gurly II (RB) Georgia
would love that

I feel Fowler is more suited for OTTO, but I'm sure he could play LEO.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:I feel Fowler is more suited for OTTO, but I'm sure he could play LEO.
Yeah I'm kinda torn on Fowler right now too. I like the player and wouldn't be upset if he is the pick at 3, the fit is just not perfect to me. If Dave wants a LEO I think Gregory is clearly more suited for that. If Dave wants an OTTO I think Beasley fits better there. 

As far as Gurley round 2, that is ok with me. I think he could be special and our FA signings would allow for it better now. If Gurley is gone, I do not want RB round 2. None of Gordon/Abdullah/Coleman/Ajayi/etc. are good enough to warrant the 36th pick to me. Wait and take whichever one out of David Johnson, David Cobb, Jeremy Langston, or Javorious Allen falls round 4.