Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Expectation is Wash will keep same scheme

Quote:lol, when you still have the same OC/DC, you get same ole crap. Another top 5 draft pick in 2018.
It will be hard to screw up a top 5 QB next year.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The 4-3 U is designed to free up a pass rushing DT. Tampa ran that under Dungy with Sapp.

That line up is designed to take advantage of guys like Jackson and Marks.

There is nothing wrong with that line up. Like someone said before, a lot of teams utilize this scheme and have been doing so for years. Any DT that you've heard of getting a lot of sacks was most likely on a team that ran this formation

If that scheme is kept, I can contently not watch next season.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:If that scheme is kept, I can contently not watch next season.

Your team's #6 ranked defense from last year? A scheme that's being played by one of the team's in this year's Super Bowl, and by both teams in this years NFC Championship Game?

Even with the same scheme, the new coaches should improve things tremendously. If you can not watch that, why are you here?

'02

Quote:Your team's #6 ranked defense from last year? A scheme that's being played by one of the team's in this year's Super Bowl, and by both teams in this years NFC Championship Game?

Even with the same scheme, the new coaches should improve things tremendously. If you can not watch that, why are you here?

Great point, and one that Debbie-downer, oh woe is we, let's change everything every year and cut everyone type fans don't want to hear, I'm sure.

The scheme is just fine. You literally cannot completely change an entire scheme around in one off season. The pieces on this Defense are mostly set in place for this scheme and we seen it really excel at times this year.

What it needs is a few tweaks though. First thing is they need to be way more aggressive, especially in coverage. Play a lot more press man. They don't have to go full blitz heavy up front, but more complicated looks can only help.

They have to find a way to make Jack a big part of this Defense. He must be on the field for a good majority of the snaps. No more of this 20% of the time crap.

Quote:The scheme is just fine. You literally cannot completely change an entire scheme around in one off season. The pieces on this Defense are mostly set in place for this scheme and we seen it really excel at times this year.

What it needs is a few tweaks though. First thing is they need to be way more aggressive, especially in coverage. Play a lot more press man. They don't have to go full blitz heavy up front, but more complicated looks can only help.

They have to find a way to make Jack a big part of this Defense. He must be on the field for a good majority of the snaps. No more of this 20% of the time crap.
i said this before but theres really no way Jack becomes a big part of the defense unless hes the middle linebacker. strongside comes of the field in nickel and everyone is in nickel a lot these days. And we dont want him taking telvin off so its really inside or nothing.

Quote:i said this before but theres really no way Jack becomes a big part of the defense unless hes the middle linebacker. strongside comes of the field in nickel and everyone is in nickel a lot these days. And we dont want him taking telvin off so its really inside or nothing.
Yup. Needs to beat Poz. If he can't do that, then he's not going to see majority of the snaps because we'll have to go nickel. 

Quote:Yup. Needs to beat Poz. If he can't do that, then he's not going to see majority of the snaps because we'll have to go nickel.
as much as we all like poz for being a leader and a decent enough player id really just like to move on from him. Id much rather have myles at that spot, it adds another component to our defense that poz cant provide with Jacks ability to cover.

Seem like their is a lot of coaches on this board?? Guys tell me why then if this scheme is soo great,why were the Jags rank 25th in scoring defense and 30th in takeaways???? Hmmm.

Quote:Seem like their is a lot of coaches on this board?? Guys tell me why then if this scheme is soo great,why were the Jags rank 25th in scoring defense and 30th in takeaways???? Hmmm.

The term "scoring defense" is a misnomer because it includes things like pick sixes, etc. We've actually gone over this in some detail, and I think there were like 80 points that shouldn't count against the Jaguars defense. Granted you'd have to do the same for other teams to make an accurate ranking, but they would certainly move up the rankings if they strictly looked at defensive points allowed.

The takeaways I blame on Gus for utterly failing to install a proper culture in the players. This just might change under Marrone and Coughlin with hires like their new LB coach who apparently has a gift for coaching turnover creation. If you look at the turnovers the Seahawks get, it's not the scheme.

'02

Quote:i said this before but theres really no way Jack becomes a big part of the defense unless hes the middle linebacker. strongside comes of the field in nickel and everyone is in nickel a lot these days. And we dont want him taking telvin off so its really inside or nothing.

Quote:Yup. Needs to beat Poz. If he can't do that, then he's not going to see majority of the snaps because we'll have to go nickel. 
It's very clear you guys completely looked over, or you simply don't understand the concept of tweaks to a Defense.

You both probably think the LEO and OTTO are an actual position made up only for this scheme huh??

NFL teams play nickle defense about 2/3 of the time.  So, whether we played a 4-3 over or 4/3 under, that was probably only 1/3 of the time. 

Our defense was 6th in total yards given up, and 6th in yards given up per play.  I can live with that.  We need more turnovers, and that comes from a better pass rush, and we did break down at crucial times, but overall, the defense is far from the biggest problem on this team. 

Quote:It's very clear you guys completely looked over, or you simply don't understand the concept of tweaks to a Defense.

You both probably think the LEO and OTTO are an actual position made up only for this scheme huh??

What they said is true. Jack is going to have to beat out Poz to stay on the field more.

I don't care if we run an Eagle 5 or a Tampa 2, so long as we shut down opposing offenses and create turnovers.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I don't care if we run an Eagle 5 or a Tampa 2, so long as we shut down opposing offenses and create turnovers.

A good portion of people on this board think that if a DB gives up a catch or misses 3 tackles in a year, he should be cut, as clearly there is someone better.

Shutting down isn't much of a reality anymore.  Creating turnovers- yeah for sure.

I think some of that is being acclimated to the system, and having trust and good communication with teammates.

These are things that the "nervous-nellie, let's fire everyone and cut the whole team" fans will never get, however.  They'd rather see constant change and hope to luck into things rather than develop the players and develop the players into the scheme.

I remember Rashean talking about how he took that risk in the Steeler game he closed out with the Pick 6 by being able to trust and communicate to Deon Grant that he was going to jump the route given the chance, and he needed to have his back.  

Talent+trust+development in a scheme.

A lot of us would rather see constant turnover, players not 100% comfortable in the scheme, and not having the confidence to make those plays.

Just a coincidence, too, that Ramsey has a pick 6 jumping a route in week 16. 

Our secondary has a real shot at being special next year.

If the team can re-sign Prince while drafting an elite S at #4, it shouldn't matter what scheme they run.

'02

Quote:A good portion of people on this board think that if a DB gives up a catch or misses 3 tackles in a year, he should be cut, as clearly there is someone better.

Shutting down isn't much of a reality anymore. Creating turnovers- yeah for sure.

I think some of that is being acclimated to the system, and having trust and good communication with teammates.

These are things that the "nervous-nellie, let's fire everyone and cut the whole team" fans will never get, however. They'd rather see constant change and hope to luck into things rather than develop the players and develop the players into the scheme.

I remember Rashean talking about how he took that risk in the Steeler game he closed out with the Pick 6 by being able to trust and communicate to Deon Grant that he was going to jump the route given the chance, and he needed to have his back.

Talent+trust+development in a scheme.

A lot of us would rather see constant turnover, players not 100% comfortable in the scheme, and not having the confidence to make those plays.

Just a coincidence, too, that Ramsey has a pick 6 jumping a route in week 16.

"A good portion of people on this board think that if a DB gives up a catch or misses 3 tackles in a year, he should be cut, as clearly there is someone better."

Like who?

Quote:"A good portion of people on this board think that if a DB gives up a catch or misses 3 tackles in a year, he should be cut, as clearly there is someone better."

Like who?

Mathis, Cyp, Gibson, Lowery, Prince.....

Quote:Mathis, Cyp, Gibson, Lowery, Prince.....

Havn't seen much wanting Prince gone.

Cyp is a bad football player.