Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talent evaluation

Quote:You're passing the buck...thanks for nothing valuable.
There's no passing the buck.  This is still a VERY young team.  We'll see where these guys are at with another off season and then we can make some educated judgments based on what we're seeing.  For guys like Joeckel, that's really a fair way to deal with it considering he pretty much missed the majority of his rookie season, and is basically an 11 game starter at LT. 

For Cyprien, he has the athletic ability to play the game, and we see the physicality.  For him it's about adjusting to the speed of the game, and developing the mental aspect.  We saw the same thing years ago with Reggie Nelson, who ended up doing well once he was cut loose by the Jags and landed in Cincy.  For some guys it takes a little longer for them to get up to speed at this level. 

I'd argue the same for Gratz.  Most of the mistakes he makes on the field are mental errors.  It'll either start to click for him or it won't.  He'll have a few good plays, then make one boneheaded and costly mistake.  That's what happens with younger guys, especially if they're asked to cover someone for more than a few seconds, which has been an issue at times when the pass rush isn't putting pressure on the QB. 

I'm sorry if you see not taking a knee jerk position as passing the buck, but I prefer to actually allow players to develop before lighting the torches. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:But there should at least be bright spots, and there are disturbingly few
Most of the players acquired in 2013 have flashed at times.  Consistency comes with experience.  But, you're more than welcome to issue your final judgment now since clearly you're a borderline NFL scout who knows the ins and outs of player development. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Some young talent is looking like just that.  Young, inconsistent, talented.  Players like D.Rob, Telvin, Bowanko, Linder, etc, all have an upward arrow.  However, there are some players that are way behind expectations, a la Cyprien who may be the biggest liability on defense right now.  
Cyprien is a frustration because his errors are so glaring, but again, they're mostly mental errors where he's not maintaining his assignment.  Hopefully that starts to click for him, but there are times when the game seems way too fast for him. 

Quote:You still arent answering the question
This must be terribly difficult for you to grasp, so I'll type slowly.

Nobody, including myself, is happy with 1-10.  Did I spell that out clearly, and slowly enough for it to sink into that thick skull of yours?

It's a very sad time to be a Jags fan..

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:There's no passing the buck.  This is still a VERY young team.  We'll see where these guys are at with another off season and then we can make some educated judgments based on what we're seeing.  For guys like Joeckel, that's really a fair way to deal with it considering he pretty much missed the majority of his rookie season, and is basically an 11 game starter at LT. 

For Cyprien, he has the athletic ability to play the game, and we see the physicality.  For him it's about adjusting to the speed of the game, and developing the mental aspect.  We saw the same thing years ago with Reggie Nelson, who ended up doing well once he was cut loose by the Jags and landed in Cincy.  For some guys it takes a little longer for them to get up to speed at this level. 

I'd argue the same for Gratz.  Most of the mistakes he makes on the field are mental errors.  It'll either start to click for him or it won't.  He'll have a few good plays, then make one boneheaded and costly mistake.  That's what happens with younger guys, especially if they're asked to cover someone for more than a few seconds, which has been an issue at times when the pass rush isn't putting pressure on the QB. 

I'm sorry if you see not taking a knee jerk position as passing the buck, but I prefer to actually allow players to develop before lighting the torches. 

We are making educated judgments now which is 27 games into their careers.  Will they improve?  As Jags fans, we all hope so, but there is nothing indicating they will yet.  We are hopeful yes, but without evidence supporting our hope.

Quote:Most of the players acquired in 2013 have flashed at times.  Consistency comes with experience.  But, you're more than welcome to issue your final judgment now since clearly you're a borderline NFL scout who knows the ins and outs of player development. 
You're last line implies you are more qualified as a scout then the other poster?  I'm not following your logic?  We all have opinions here.  Or feel free to show us an image of your NFL Scout certification card.

Quote:Cyprien is a frustration because his errors are so glaring, but again, they're mostly mental errors where he's not maintaining his assignment.  Hopefully that starts to click for him, but there are times when the game seems way too fast for him. 
You do understand the dude is slow right?  The guy has been smoked in multiple foot races and by lesser talented individuals.

How many players on this team would honestly start for someone else? Marks Bryant Clemons? Is that it?

Quote:The jury is still out on all of these players, the only guys out of this draft I have no hope for is Ace Sanders and Jeremy Harris.
I'm not sure about Sanders.  I think they're having a tough time finding a role for him right now, and that's contributing to his lack of consistency. 

No GM can hit on all their picks, so if he's  miss, so be it.  If we're going to miss, a 4th round pick isn't exactly devastating, especially when they're hitting on just as many mid-to-late round picks with guys like Linder and Robinson. 

Keep in mind that a guy like Sanders is probably still on the roster because Tandon Doss was injured.  Otherwise, he would have probably been a casualty of the numbers game for roster spots.  He did enough last year to warrant a roster spot this year, but he's struggled this season, and he's not getting near the number of opportunities outside of the return game with the emergence of rookie receivers like Hurns and Robinson squeezing him out.  Even with the injury to Robinson, Lee has earned reps leaving Sanders scraping around for the crumbs. 

Quote:Cyprien is a frustration because his errors are so glaring, but again, they're mostly mental errors where he's not maintaining his assignment.  Hopefully that starts to click for him, but there are times when the game seems way too fast for him. 
It seems he's not as smart as they thought he'd be.  Even when he does see his assignment, he'll second guess it midstream. 

Anyone one else see him lock onto Fleener on the crossing route, then change his angle mid-route when he thought Luck would throw elsewhere? 

Of course Luck hit Fleener for a 12 yard gain or so.  The ball was well placed and Cyp may never have broken it up, but he could have at least had a chance to jar it loose or push him out of bounds 3 or 4 yds sooner - had he not considered going elsewhere mid route.  

Maybe he was supposed to spy the QB on that down, but letting Fleener run free to do it seems like the wrong decision. 

Quote:It's a very sad time to be a Jags fan..

It is, but the hope is that from these struggles, a better version of the team will emerge.  I think we need to allow this process enough time to prove itself out one way or the other.  Next season is going to be a very important one for a lot of people in this organization.  It should be expected that things get significantly better in 2015.  If they don't, we'll be starting all over again.

Quote:How many players on this team would honestly start for someone else? Marks Bryant Clemons? Is that it?

Beadles, Miller, and Linder would for sure because lines are banged up all over the league.   Both Robinsons would likely be starting somewhere too. 

Quote:It is, but the hope is that from these struggles, a better version of the team will emerge.  I think we need to allow this process enough time to prove itself out one way or the other.  Next season is going to be a very important one for a lot of people in this organization.  It should be expected that things get significantly better in 2015.  If they don't, we'll be starting all over again.

yep.

I just honestly don't see Gus and this coaching staff getting us to the playoffs, no matter how long they have.

After 27 games, you'd like to think we would have some kind of identity, something to build upon.  We are regressing.

It appears that the coaching staff also doesn't know what they're doing.  They are figuring things out as they go.  For a team this young, I think you need older, more experienced head coaches and offensive coordinators.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:He seems he's not as smart as they thought he'd be.  Even when he does see his assignment, he'll second guess it midstream. 

Anyone one else see him lock onto Fleener on the crossing route, then change his angle mid-route when he thought Luck would throw elsewhere? 

Of course Luck hit Fleener for a 12 yard gain or so.  The ball was well placed and Cyp may never have broken it up, but he could have at least had a chance to jar it loose or push him out of bounds 3 or 4 yds sooner - had he not considered going elsewhere mid route.  

Maybe he was supposed to spy the QB on that down, but letting Fleener run free to do it seems like the wrong decision. 
He reminds me of Reggie Nelson in the way he's struggling.  It eventually clicked for Nelson once he landed with the Bengals, but it took time. 

That play with Fleener was glaring enough that even CBS was able to show the overhead of just how bad it was. 

Quote:Some young talent is looking like just that. Young, inconsistent, talented. Players like D.Rob, Telvin, Bowanko, Linder, etc, all have an upward arrow. However, there are some players that are way behind expectations, a la Cyprien who may be the biggest liability on defense right now.

It's not even inconsistent with joeckel though. He's consistently near to below average

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 06:32 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:He reminds me of Reggie Nelson in the way he's struggling.  It eventually clicked for Nelson once he landed with the Bengals, but it took time. 

That play with Fleener was glaring enough that even CBS was able to show the overhead of just how bad it was. 

then you have to bench him and let him "figure things out".... after this year

You can't have him on the field for 3-4 years and hope he figures it out.

Quote:Beadles, Miller, and Linder would for sure because lines are banged up all over the league.   Both Robinsons would likely be starting somewhere too. 
An argument could be made for guys like Hurns and Robinson.  If he continues to progress, Denard as well.  We haven't seen enough of Lee, but he certainly showed some flashes yesterday.

Poz would probably start for quite a few teams in this league as well. 

Quote:then you have to bench him and let him "figure things out"....

You can't have him on the field for 3-4 years and hope he figures it out.
I'm not sure we really have much of a choice at this point. 

Quote:yep.

I just honestly don't see Gus and this coaching staff getting us to the playoffs, no matter how long they have.

After 27 games, you'd like to think we would have some kind of identity, something to build upon.  We are regressing.

It appears that the coaching staff also doesn't know what they're doing.  They are figuring things out as they go.  For a team this young, I think you need older, more experienced head coaches and offensive coordinators.  
This whole 27 games thing is a little misleading.

They blew the roster up last year and started over completely.  We had a very young roster last year with a good deal of inexperience.  In year 2 of this rebuild, we're actually starting an even less experienced, younger roster, and we're starting our youngest rookies at some of the most critical skill positions (QB and WR), and relying pretty heavily on a guy who converted to running back in order to find a place in the league. 

If you look at the defense, you see marked improvement.  No, they're not finishing games, but that has more to do with simply lacking the necessary depth to account or the inadequacies of our offense in order to maintain for the amount of time they're out there. 

I think most here who are saying 2015 is the year to really scrutinize this team, it's because of just how comprehensive this rebuild process was from the start.  Yes, they've made mistakes in some of their moves, but I think the majority of them have been for the better of the team over the long haul.  We'll know soon enough if they've done a good job of avoiding misses when we get to year 3 and you see where the roster is then.