Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade the Toby Gerhart debut
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

The Toby Gerhart Debut

Mike Alstott

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeahhhh we have a fullback masquerading as a #1 RB.  Yipeeeeeee!!!!

Quote:If his lil ankle was hurting so bad he should've sat on the sideline. If the coordinator was using him on the wrong plays that's the coaches fault. He's good for goal line plays and straight up the gut. Stretching him out is stupid because he has no speed to do it.

Internet tough guys are cool.

;

;

Quote:The numbers do not tell the whole tale.

18 carries for 42yards 2.3 yards per carry

While those numbers are abysmal I don't think any back in the league that could be successful behind this line. All day long I was watching the line miss assignments and letting free defenders hit the backs behind the line of scrimmage. The team couldn't gain a yard on 3rd and short. The coaching staff showed how much confidence they had when they passed the ball on 4th and inches.  The team gave up on the running game in the third quarter but you can't blame them because it was so ineffective.

The bottom line is you could put Barry Sanders behind the line and he would fail.  I did see some good power runs but taken anything into consideration he did nothing great either.  Because of the play of the oline and was impressed by a couple of runs I'm giving him a C.

I disagree the Detroit Lions had the worst OLine and while the Jaguars OLine especially in run blocking could be compared to that Oline Barry Sanders in fact indeed did run successfully in spite of all the odds being against him.  That being said nobody thinks anyone on the Jaguars roster is capable of running as good as Barry Sanders, and nobody thinks any of them will get that good during this season if ever. 

I dont think Barry Sanders name should be associated with our running backs in any example.

Yes our run blocking was bad, but our running backs play was worse.  Other than two runs by Toby Gerhart that were for 9 yards, and one for 11 yards most of his runs were into traffic and not being aware of running to the outside and other poor choices...

Dont get me wrong the loss wasnt solely the running backs fault or M. Lewis's drops especially wide open on 4 & inches or Chad Hennes poor leadership and throws in the 2nd qtr or the DBs collapase after Jonathan Cyprien was injured & taken out of the game.  It was a team effort collapase.  The team doesnt know how to seal the win and finish a game.  They got out coached in the 2nd half, and out played from the top all the way down to the waterboy. 

The emotion of being so joyful at the half only to watch my favorite team collapase and allow 34 unanswered points was heartbreaking to say the least.   I expected a loss going into this game, so I'm not shocked nor do I feel that the sky is falling type of thing, but I am concerned about the team's confidence.  They have to believe in themselves and that they are that first half team and not the 2nd.

I don't know how you can grade a back that is being constantly hit in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. I will say when he gets hole that gets him pass the first line of defense he has the power to drive players back for additional yardage. But no running back will have success taking on a defensive lineman.

Let's see...

Our starting #1 RB, priority FA signing has:

NO speed. Zero, none, nada.

NO vision.  Consistently takes the wrong lane.

NO elusiveness.  None.  

NO acceleration.  None.

NO agility.  Zero.  He's stiff as a board.

Sounds like a great signing to me.  

"D" for Down right slow

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Let's see...

NO elusiveness.  None.  

NO acceleration.  None.

In regards to how Toby Gerhart looked in this game, i agree with the above..

but it was only one game..

based on all the footage from previous years..

Give TOBY A CHANCE!!

Quote:Let's see...

NO elusiveness.  None.  

NO acceleration.  None.

toby ran a 4.50, he has some speed so no

if you can find me the correct lane when (from what i saw there were no gaps and unblocked guys were flying off the edge) / provide me with a gif where he missed his gaps i'll happily retract this but picking the best of two piles of poop is still poop, so no

i don't think being elusive is a power backs game but juking a 300 pound monster right in your face is tougher than it looks, you need some space to be elusive and when he had space he made gains... so no

this is just false, he certainly has the burst which helps him move the pile and when there is a hole he hits it hard, so no

no agility, not sure what you want him to do or what this even means, so yeah i'll give you that one he is a pretty stiff and upright runner so yeah

but anyway 1 out of 5 ent bad as the saying goes... oh wait no

sounds like a great post to me

Not to mention the run plays were really bad by Fisch, shotgun handoffs when only a couple yards are needed for the first and running up the middle behind a weak new center instead of to the outside... like why?

Quote:Hard to evaluate him with such god awful run blocking. He did what he could. C..

You got it.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Let's ignore the fact that the line has been pathetic at blocking for the run the entire preseason. Let's ignore the fact that Gerhart played a good portion of the game on a bad ankle. Let's ignore the fact that Philly was constantly loading up the box to stop the run. It's all on Gerhart.
I have to agree with this.  Hard to judge him when he's dealing with all of that.  I'm not worried about Toby, I'm more worried about our O-line not run blocking and teams constantly loading up the box until we prove we can beat them in the passing game.

C

got hurt and playing behind a weak line 

I turned in 95 from a Skin to a Jag and Im sick of the Roger Goodell / family fun zone junk.

[Image: jagsfandancing.gif]

I will give Caldwell credit. He tried to fix this and we wouldn't even be talking about this had Cleveland not matched Mack's offer from us. I never agreed with the Gerhart signing from the beginning, even with the line opening up holes, but it is what it is.

Quote:toby ran a 4.50, he has some speed so no

if you can find me the correct lane when (from what i saw there were no gaps and unblocked guys were flying off the edge) / provide me with a gif where he missed his gaps i'll happily retract this but picking the best of two piles of poop is still poop, so no

i don't think being elusive is a power backs game but juking a 300 pound monster right in your face is tougher than it looks, you need some space to be elusive and when he had space he made gains... so no

this is just false, he certainly has the burst which helps him move the pile and when there is a hole he hits it hard, so no

no agility, not sure what you want him to do or what this even means, so yeah i'll give you that one he is a pretty stiff and upright runner so yeah

but anyway 1 out of 5 ent bad as the saying goes... oh wait no

sounds like a great post to me

This post is so much graveyard whistling.  My eyes tell me that he is simply NO good and there are going to be plenty of 2.5 ypc games regardless of the opponent.  He stinks.

I disagree we couldve at least offered Mack more money (granted it would be more than he was worth but we had no problem over paying for Beadles at Guard because he's great and it was a huge glaring need... Center is even a bigger need than Guard)...

Gerhart is no playmaker.  Good thing the Jags will be in position to draft a real rb, Todd Gurley.

Quote:Gerhart is no playmaker.  Good thing the Jags will be in position to draft a real rb, Todd Gurley.

At this stage of the game, i'd much rather draft a big, ugly O-lineman with a gut.

Quote:This post is so much graveyard whistling. My eyes tell me that he is simply NO good and there are going to be plenty of 2.5 ypc games regardless of the opponent. He stinks.

Should have gone to specsavers then

But if you can find me that gif showing no vision ill happily reconsider that but your making this judgement on a game where he had no space and when he did he got yards

Not sure what graveyard whistling is but ill give it a go

Wooooooo...don't pass opinions off as facts unless you can back them up with evideeeennccceeee.... Woooo

Gerhart can be a decently average back in the right system and good run blocking.  That system was the Vikings behind AP.

No comment on his grade because we cannot run block so his skills right now are not a good fit for this team.  If you can't run block, you need to go quick and keep the D off balance.