Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New York Giants hire David Tyree who is against Gay Marriage

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014, 11:36 PM by D6.)

Quote:OK - for the rest of us - what is NOM and SPLC?

NOM =  National Organization for Marriage.

SPLC=  Southern Poverty Law Center

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That is a great question. If he was a white person and openly spoke against rights for black people, should that effect whether he should get a job or not? It's an interesting debate. There is a line. The question is where should it be drawn?

He can be the biggest racist in the room, so long as he employs the most qualified person available, I don't care what he believes.

I think most of us would be surprised what many people secretly think. 

Either way, it may just be me but I don't see the correlation between being racist and opposing homosexuality. While it can't be true for everyone, those that tend to be racist seem to base their opinions in hate (from my experiences). I've met so many people that just disagree with homosexuality but genuinely don't hate them. It's far more common than LGBT community would like to accept. 

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 06:18 AM by Kotite.)

Quote:As a supporter of NOM, I consider SPLC a hate group.

Aside from NOM "turning the other cheek" to violence against gay people which was a direct result of their fanning the flames (France April 2013), they openly promote the falsehood that homosexuality is directly linked to pedophilia and that gay men have shorter life spans. So.. the shoe fits.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 06:42 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:He can be the biggest racist in the room, so long as he employs the most qualified person available, I don't care what he believes.

I think most of us would be surprised what many people secretly think. 

Either way, it may just be me but I don't see the correlation between being racist and opposing homosexuality. While it can't be true for everyone, those that tend to be racist seem to base their opinions in hate (from my experiences). I've met so many people that just disagree with homosexuality but genuinely don't hate them. It's far more common than LGBT community would like to accept. 

JagnNGeorgia, I didn't mean how he secretly felt.  He is open about his feelings in this case.  I was referring to an open racist and someone who was against black people having the same rights as white people.  Are we okay with that?  I'm just saying where is the line to how you openly feel in public and how that can effect your job?  I'm really asking, not trying to make a point.

There definitely is a correlation.  They aren't the same, no, but many similarities.  There are a lot of people who use hate speech against homosexuality.  A LOT.  There are also varying degrees for both.  Both groups had to fight for equal rights (again different, but some similarities).  You may have forgotten how much progress the LGBT community has made.  I remember going to school and the word "fa*" word was prevalent.  Being gay when I was in High School is completely different then being gay in High School today (and that was just 12 years ago).  A  lot of progress has been made just like a lot of progress has been made for the black population, but we still have a ways to go.

Quote:Aside from NOM "turning the other cheek" to violence against gay people which was a direct result of their fanning the flames (France April 2013), they openly promote the falsehood that homosexuality is directly linked to pedophilia and that gay men have shorter life spans. So.. the shoe fits.

If above is true and I don't know enough to say it is or isn't, not sure how D6 can support this.  

Look it up and you tell me.

Quote:Look it up and you tell me.

Oh I will. Just don't have time at the moment.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 07:47 AM by D6.)

Quote:If above is true and I don't know enough to say it is or isn't, not sure how D6 can support this.  

The info you provided above came directly from SPLC's website.   Their credibility when it comes to true Conservative causes and legit concerns is non-existent.   They lump true Conservatism with Nazi and KKK type of groups,   which is absolutely disgusting and repulsive.  

The individual who made those claims several years back actually became someone who supports Gay causes within a couple of years of distorting NOM's positions.   I have serious doubts he was even associated with NOM.    Even if he was,  the individual was a loose cannon who has no credibility.   It would be fitting if SPLC hired him.

There are several direct quotes from NOM which attempt to link homosexuality with pedophilia. It isn't a conspiracy if it comes out of their own mouths. They also equated the fight against marriage equality as being like the fight against slavery. These are Brian Brown's own words, not a partisan media slant.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM by Adam2012.)

Quote:NOM =  National Organization for Marriage.

SPLC=  Southern Poverty Law Center

Thanks. I'm familiar with the Southern Poverty Law Center. I know you said it tongue in cheek, but they're obviously not a "hate group".

NOM I'm not familiar with, but I suspect they feel somewhat under siege, with all the gay rights/marriage equality activity going on.

Anyway, it appears D. Tyree gets it - he's going to be a good soldier for the Giants organization, regardless of his personal beliefs. Which is as it should be - we shouldn't know (or care) what some one believes. We should only care that they perform their duties in a fair and consistent manner.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

David Tyree says he’d support a gay player on the Giants

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...he-giants/

Quote:Liberterian a "trend"... lol.

It's been around for quite some time.

It's what I probably most closely identify with as well.

I've found that The World's Smallest Political Quiz explains it quite succinctly.

Didn't say it hasn't been around a long time. 

Meant it as more people seem to be going that way lately. 

EricC85 pretty much backed up that statement in a recent post on the "Politics OK?" thread. 

Quote:The info you provided above came directly from SPLC's website.   Their credibility when it comes to true Conservative causes and legit concerns is non-existent.   They lump true Conservatism with Nazi and KKK type of groups,   which is absolutely disgusting and repulsive.  

The individual who made those claims several years back actually became someone who supports Gay causes within a couple of years of distorting NOM's positions.   I have serious doubts he was even associated with NOM.    Even if he was,  the individual was a loose cannon who has no credibility.   It would be fitting if SPLC hired him.

+1

Quote:Didn't say it hasn't been around a long time. 

Meant it as more people seem to be going that way lately. 

EricC85 pretty much backed up that statement in a recent post on the "Politics OK?" thread. 

Yes, people do seem to be going that way a lot more recently.

Likely because it's such a simple ideology that it's easy to ignore all the problems it would create.

When people are thinking "Hey, they say I should be free to get baked out of my gourd all the time, that sounds pretty good" they're not thinking about other libertarian ideals like the freedom for "my boss to be able to demand I work 80 hours a week for minimum wage or he'll move all the jobs in our company to Mexico or India and there will be no tariffs to make that a problem for him at all."

Like most things it's easy to find something appealing when you're only thinking about the parts that sound immediately good to you, and like all political ideologies a bit more thinking about it would likely leave you finding parts of it that you wouldn't particularly appreciate.

Quote:There are several direct quotes from NOM which attempt to link homosexuality with pedophilia. It isn't a conspiracy if it comes out of their own mouths. They also equated the fight against marriage equality as being like the fight against slavery. These are Brian Brown's own words, not a partisan media slant.

Regarding the homosexuality with pedophilia connection:  my impression is Brian Brown is expressing concern that if ' Gay Marriage' is legalized and accepted,  that will eventually lead to the strong possibility of pedphilia being pushed and accepted.   In the case of the latter,  including by the courts.    I share this concern.   In addition, IMO beastiality also could be a future agenda in the United State and in other countries that accept ' Gay Marriage'  and related designations.     There was a time when practically no one would even think about publicly pushing for ' Gay Marriage' .   I think the U.S. is heading down a very slippy slope.  

As for the fight against slavery reference,   if you can provide some further info,  I'll gladly comment.  

One thing worth keeping in mind is while I agree with NOM and other organizations ( and political candidates  I financially support on most issues,  I've yet to see an organization or political candidate that I agree with 100 %.    Yet,  there are some issues that I strongly believe in enough that I won't support an organization or political candidate if they have a different opinion than mine.    The same when helping out with Republican Party election petitions to help candidates to get on the ballot.   If a candidate is in favor of '  Gay Marriage'  for instance,  that automatically leads me not to help that candidate financially or otherwise.    In these cases,  I will vote for a 3rd party candidate or write in the name of someone that I respect.  

Quote:Thanks. I'm familiar with the Southern Poverty Law Center. I know you said it tongue in cheek, but they're obviously not a "hate group".

NOM I'm not familiar with, but I suspect they feel somewhat under siege, with all the gay rights/marriage equality activity going on.

Anyway, it appears D. Tyree gets it - he's going to be a good soldier for the Giants organization, regardless of his personal beliefs. Which is as it should be - we shouldn't know (or care) what some one believes. We should only care that they perform their duties in a fair and consistent manner.

My pleasure.

At the very least,   I have major issues with SPLC.   Being that they classify some Conservative people and organizations I support as hate individuals/  groups and as a result believe that SPLC causes considerable damage,  I want to see this organization exposed as much as possible.

NOM is indeed under siege.   In truth,  I probably wish they were further to the right with their approach on some issues.

David Tyree is someone that I have a strong connection with.   He lost his Mom a few months after I lost my Mom.    After Tyree lost his Mom,  he stepped up and made one of the greatest catches in Super Bowl history.   That play went along way in the Giants upsetting the then 18-0 Patriots.   Tyree's Mom was an inspiration for him.   I certainly wish him well in his new opportunity.   I'm confident he will do what's in the best interest of the New York Football Giants.

Quote:Regarding the homosexuality with pedophilia connection: my impression is Brian Brown is expressing concern that if ' Gay Marriage' is legalized and accepted, that will eventually lead to the strong possibility of pedphilia being pushed and accepted. In the case of the latter, including by the courts. I share this concern. In addition, IMO [BAD WORD REMOVED] also could be a future agenda in the United State and in other countries that accept ' Gay Marriage' and related designations. There was a time when practically no one would even think about publicly pushing for ' Gay Marriage' . I think the U.S. is heading down a very slippy slope.

As for the fight against slavery reference, if you can provide some further info, I'll gladly comment.

One thing worth keeping in mind is while I agree with NOM and other organizations ( and political candidates I financially support on most issues, I've yet to see an organization or political candidate that I agree with 100 %. Yet, there are some issues that I strongly believe in enough that I won't support an organization or political candidate if they have a different opinion than mine. The same when helping out with Republican Party election petitions to help candidates to get on the ballot. If a candidate is in favor of ' Gay Marriage' for instance, that automatically leads me not to help that candidate financially or otherwise. In these cases, I will vote for a 3rd party candidate or write in the name of someone that I respect.

I'm not sure what the connection is? What does being gay have to do with pediphilia? These are two completely separate issues. I guess we were going down a slippery slope when we allowed women the right to vote and afforded black people the same freedoms as white people. This backwards thinking is what is holding us back, but things are still progressing regardless which is a good thing.

Quote:I'm not sure what the connection is? What does being gay have to do with pediphilia? These are two completely separate issues. I guess we were going down a slippery slope when we allowed women the right to vote and afforded black people the same freedoms as white people. This backwards thinking is what is holding us back, but things are still progressing regardless which is a good thing.

There is no connection.

The only reason it's brought up is because it's such a toxic topic that by even mentioning it in the same sentence as marriage equality they hope to create a negative reaction in ignorant people.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I'm not sure what the connection is? What does being gay have to do with pediphilia? These are two completely separate issues. I guess we were going down a slippery slope when we allowed women the right to vote and afforded black people the same freedoms as white people. This backwards thinking is what is holding us back, but things are still progressing regardless which is a good thing.

Quote:There is no connection.

The only reason it's brought up is because it's such a toxic topic that by even mentioning it in the same sentence as marriage equality they hope to create a negative reaction in ignorant people.

I'll guess what I think D6 is trying to say in regards to the "connection"...

There was a time when homosexuality was considered "taboo" or perversive by a large majority of people....in current society, its increasingly not seen as that way, with the help of the interest groups that are bullying their ideas, and maybe also via the ease for anyone to obtain x rated movies via the internet....Most people understand that once something is gained, it usually doesn't just "stop" there....a fringe will want more and more and become bored with the "status quo"...when being gay isn't enough to satisfy their sexual desires, then what?....then they seek something else to satisfy their needs....could it evolve into legal pedophelia? incest? polygamy?? Who knows what road it will evolve into?? I'd bet few people saw where we are now regarding homosexuality being "normal" 60 years ago....

Quote:I'll guess what I think D6 is trying to say in regards to the "connection"...

There was a time when homosexuality was considered "taboo" or perversive by a large majority of people....in current society, its increasingly not seen as that way, with the help of the interest groups that are bullying their ideas, and maybe also via the ease for anyone to obtain x rated movies via the internet....Most people understand that once something is gained, it usually doesn't just "stop" there....a fringe will want more and more and become bored with the "status quo"...when being gay isn't enough to satisfy their sexual desires, then what?....then they seek something else to satisfy their needs....could it evolve into legal pedophelia? incest? polygamy?? Who knows what road it will evolve into?? I'd bet few people saw where we are now regarding homosexuality being "normal" 60 years ago....

It's a worthless argument and along the same line of arguments that were used to attempt to prop up anti-interracial marriage laws 50 years ago.

http://youtu.be/A8JsRx2lois