Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville to host "A major collegiate sporting event"

Quote:Can't believe we beat out Valdosta and Huntsville.

The sky is the limit from here .... one day we could host the Woman's Women's Division II Lacrosse Championship !!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Can't believe we beat out Valdosta and Huntsville.

The sky is the limit from here .... one day we could host the Woman's Division II Lacrosse Championship !!

Easy solution. Don't go.

;

;

Quote:I'm hoping the announcement is about bringing back the FAMU / Bethune Cookman game !!!

... joking aside, my guess is a Notre Dame vs Navy football game.

Getting the Florida Classic between FAMU and Bethune Cookman would be a blessing for this city. The amount of money spent by the followers of the two schools would surely help. The last mayor made a pitch to get the game away from Orlando. With the Citrus Bowl going through a way overdue upgrade I think the Classic will stay there for a long time to come.

# EVEN IF HE'S RELEASED

Quote:Easy solution. Don't go.

Might be the easiest thing to miss ever!

Plenty of misogny to go around I see.

Some of you guys won't like to hear this.

But the SEC women's basketball tournament has a larger local financial impact than the SEC baseball tournament.

Quote:Might be the easiest thing to miss ever!

Ok

;

;

Quote:Not my cup of tea, but it is expected to have an economic impact of $5 million.

Yeah, that's probably being overly optimistic.

I started reading this thread about 10 minutes ago knowing the outcome.  I had to laugh at the speculation.  Anyone familiar with the way the city handles things like this knows they're going to oversell it to the max, and then announce an event that's not nearly as grand as they'd teased.  It's just what they do.   

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Yeah, that's probably being overly optimistic.

I started reading this thread about 10 minutes ago knowing the outcome. I had to laugh at the speculation. Anyone familiar with the way the city handles things like this knows they're going to oversell it to the max, and then announce an event that's not nearly as grand as they'd teased. It's just what they do.

Brown and Verlander are so bad with this.

Quote:Brown and Verlander are so bad with this.

It's funny because I knew a guy that worked for sports development before these two came along. Jacksonville was able to pull in some big events...these two pour a lot more money into it, and we get curling and SEC womens basketball.

I'm not down playing either event, but I feel like this city should pull more. I believe Verlander may be the top paid city employee...can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Edit: I was wrong. He is the cities 4th highest. I want his job.

JU’s Alan Verlander, making $179,416 a year, will be the fourth-highest-paid city employee, making more than Brown.

http://members.jacksonville.com/news/met...d-nba-hall

Quote:Plenty of misogny to go around I see.

But the SEC women's basketball tournament has a larger local financial impact than the SEC baseball tournament.

Baseball teams have a lot more players = more money for hotels .... fans that actually will show up and buy tickets? probably equal with hardly any

Quote: 

Giancarlo Stanton....ummm, how did Mike become Giancarlo? lol

Several years ago actually

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Plenty of misogyny to go around I see.

Does seem like it, doesn't it?

I enjoy women's basketball. It's nice to see teamwork and enthusiasm. I don't miss seeing 6'8" giants celebrating dunks they can do in their sleep as if they just conquered the world.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote: 

I enjoy women's basketball. 

[Image: notsureifserious.jpg]

Quote:Several years ago actually

I just wondered why he did it. He changed it in 2012 and apparently that was the name he used until 5th grade when he got tired of everyone mispronouncing it.

Quote:[Image: notsureifserious.jpg]

Misogynist.

Quote:Easy solution. Don't go.

... and miss the opportunity to spend $150 to watch Alabama play Ole Miss in Women's Basketball ?   No way .... I'll be there !!  We may never get event again.

I challenge anyone (without looking it up) to name 1 women's basketball player from the SEC that did not go to Univ of Tennessee

Quote:... and miss the opportunity to spend $150 to watch Alabama play Ole Miss in Women's Basketball ?   No way .... I'll be there !!  We may never get event again.

I challenge anyone (without looking it up) to name 1 women's basketball player from the SEC that did not go to Univ of Tennessee

I can't name any male SEC basketball players off the top of my head but I'll still watch their tournament.

I like competition in almost any form.

- Bob Marley

Quote:[Image: notsureifserious.jpg]

Why would I not be serious?

Don't tell me your another one who thinks their tastes should be shared by everyone.

- Bob Marley

Quote:I can't name any male SEC basketball players off the top of my head but I'll still watch their tournament.

I like competition in almost any form.

Women's college basketball is hardly competitive.

Quote:Women's college basketball is hardly competitive.
I wouldn't know if it is or not. I don't think seeing 2 seconds while flipping through channels makes me an expert on saying it is or isn't.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"