Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville to host "A major collegiate sporting event"

Press conference set for tomorrow on what the event will be.

Any guesses?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

beer guzzling festival?

Women's javelin and discus tournament?

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Don't get too excited.

The city has a tendancy of overplaying things.

;

;

NCAA Division Two AND Three Chess Championships!

# EVEN IF HE'S RELEASED

Seriously, if it’s at the arena I think it could be a basketball tournament. They’re all the rage now. So much so, this is just another thing we’re late to the party on.

I expect to hear about the Gator Bowl Invitational or something like that.

If the announcement were at the stadium I’d think it would be a football game involving Notre Dame and/or Navy.

Lastly, if the announcement were at the Baseball Grounds I’d pray it would be (1) moving up to triple A (where we belong) and (2) a naming rights deal for the stadium.

# EVEN IF HE'S RELEASED

Watch it be something like hosting the NCAA indoor track championship. Or something along those lines.

Just like when the city propped the McCartney concert as an "historical event". 

Quote:Seriously, if it’s at the arena I think it could be a basketball tournament. They’re all the rage now. So much so, this is just another thing we’re late to the party on.

I expect to hear about the Gator Bowl Invitational or something like that.

If the announcement were at the stadium I’d think it would be a football game involving Notre Dame and/or Navy.

Lastly, if the announcement were at the Baseball Grounds I’d pray it would be (1) moving up to triple A (where we belong) and (2) a naming rights deal for the stadium.

That is one event I know that city has always gone after.

As of a few months, the site for the 2016 game was TBA. A real possibility here. But probably not the announcement tomorrow.

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

Double A baseball is the best of the minor leagues. Its pretty much all rising future MLB talent, whereas AAA you have some has beens or never was's. 

Sounds good to me. The more championship level sports brought to the area, the better imo. The sport may not be my cup of tea, but the city had certainly put an emphasis on this for a good 3-4 years now.

Lots of complaining over nothing in this thread.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Double A baseball is the best of the minor leagues. Its pretty much all rising future MLB talent, whereas AAA you have some has beens or never was's. 

Agree.

Triple A is for guys who won't/can't make it and occasionally guys rehabbing for a short time etc.

If you've got it, you prove it in AA and make the jump rather quickly.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Double A baseball is the best of the minor leagues. Its pretty much all rising future MLB talent, whereas AAA you have some has beens or never was's. 
I agree here. We have seen our fair share of the games best and brightest come through Jax on their way to some of the greatest all time careers.

Randy Johnson, Clayton Kershaw, Alex Rodriguez, to namea only a few.

;

Agree. Suns are fine where they are.

Quote:Sounds good to me. The more championship level sports brought to the area, the better imo. The sport may not be my cup of tea, but the city had certainly put an emphasis on this for a good 3-4 years now.

Lots of complaining over nothing in this thread.

I think that is because the mayor and other city leaders overhype events coming to town.

Quote:I think that is because the mayor and other city leaders overhype events coming to town.
They have surely hyped some of the athletic events they have landed. That is to be expected. The problem with most is that it's not always the mainstream sport that they are drawing and people look down on those events when announced.

;

Quote:I agree here. We have seen our fair share of the games best and brightest come through Jax on their way to some of the greatest all time careers.

Randy Johnson, Clayton Kershaw, Alex Rodriguez, to namea only a few.

Don't forget about Stanton and Kemp.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Don't forget about Stanton and Kemp.
Oh there are plenty I didn't list. Just some of the big names off top of my head.

;

Quote:Lastly, if the announcement were at the Baseball Grounds I’d pray it would be (1) moving up to triple A (where we belong) and (2) a naming rights deal for the stadium.

The announcement is in regards to a COLLEGE sporting event.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014, 05:44 AM by Bon Jagley.)

Apparently, it is SEC related.

Quote:The council will hit the ground running on Wednesday when it announces what it terms “a major sporting event” for the area. The SEC, which is holding its spring meetings in Destin, is making a joint announcement of the event, likely to be a conference championship.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2014-05-2...ing-events

;

;

It looks like it's going to be an SEC Championship! Keeping my fingers crossed.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.