Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No matter what, Jax is going to get a ton of publicity...

If we pick Bortles, nobody from the national media will care.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The 2011 Colts were absolutely atrocious, no getting around that.

Right, because they had a QB that was even worse then Gabbert.   The other talent was decent.  Their 1 year terribleness was an fluke because Manning was out.  The Jags have been bad for a long time.  You don't fix teams like the Jags, Browns, Lions, Bills in 1 year.   That's who we are right now.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014, 07:19 PM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:I don't want Jax to get a ton of attention next year because if things don't work out as well as expected the national sports media will only double down on their ridicule.

I would rather quietly build a steady winning team that bloodies a mouth here and there and ends the season with respect.

The national media is no better than the local media. Each has their agenda. Neither has the best interests of the Jaguars or Jaguars' fans in mind. You talk about disclosure and the media wants no part of it. Nothing wrong with forcing the media to reveal their conflicts of interests. No, not at all.

Look at the brand names they keep throwing up in the air. It never occurs to anybody that agents pay consulting fees to the media directly or through a third party. Like sitting in a doctor's office waiting room staring at his purple pill Frisbee sitting on a stack of files. You just know you're gonna get steady diet of purple pill samples somehow.

Meanwhile as pro scouts begin to play poker here, these media name brands acting like place-holders sink like rocks.The best minds in player scouting will start talking and the media hipsters will either revise their draft boards or they'll continue to insist they know more than the pro scouts.

Give it a little more time. 

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Right, because they had a QB that was even worse then Gabbert.   The other talent was decent.  Their 1 year terribleness was an fluke because Manning was out.  The Jags have been bad for a long time.  You don't fix teams like the Jags, Browns, Lions, Bills in 1 year.   That's who we are right now.

Nailed it.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Right, because they had a QB that was even worse then Gabbert. 
Didn't think that was possible.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:If we pick Bortles, nobody from the national media will care.

Yeah, even locally people wouldn't care that much.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Getting Luke Joeckel back does not automatically mean much. He is added back into the offensive line mix and he will compete for the starting left tackle job.

If we are fortunate enough we will also add former Texas A&M elite OT Jake Matthews in as well.

With two elite offensive tackles (provided Luke is all better) this gives us a foundation upon which to build. Only J.J. Watt, Robert Mathis and a host of passive aggressive Florida Gator fans angry about Tebow don't want to see Jake Matthews drafted by the Jaguars.

[Image: page18_blog_entry3946_3.jpg]
That's dumb. You try to turn every thread into a hate Gator bash thread. Give it a rest bro

How long did that last?  Til the end of round 1?  I don't recall the national media saying anything more than "nice pick."  His presence did not garner longer segments on ESPN or NFLN during the regular season.  He was just another name they sprinkled in.  Fans here went nuts at the draft party, but then what?  RGIII brought that fanbase to life.   Luck was touted as the real deal long before he earned it on an NFL field and was a regular topic of discussion.  There was an electricity about them that sparked conversation and comparison from the talking heads in NY, LA and Bristol.  Yes..  they're QBs and that position always gets a lot of buzz, but there just wasn't the same type of excitement generated when it came to Blackmon.  The off the field stuff put the brakes on the post draft momentum pretty quickly and THAT was his story, not his potential.  He didn't inspire the national media to talk about this team any more than they did prior.  Which wasn't much.

Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Right, because they had a QB that was even worse then Gabbert.   The other talent was decent.  Their 1 year terribleness was an fluke because Manning was out.  The Jags have been bad for a long time.  You don't fix teams like the Jags, Browns, Lions, Bills in 1 year.   That's who we are right now.

The 2010 Colts were not very good actually. They were a 10-6 one and done even with Peyton at the helm. After they lost Peyton, they sunk to a 2-14 team. Their roster was pretty bad, and they did have a remarkable turn around by bringing in young talent while also having a weak schedule.

Anything's possible.

Quote:You know we're 4-12 right? 

....fewest points scored and most given up, right?

Being hopeful is one thing, saying stuff like the above makes the fanbase look silly. 

I'm just hoping for playoffs and a winning season. 
I'm okay with our season ending this way, not so excited about the first half, but last year Carolina ended the year strong winning the last seven games, and we could have and probably should have won the last six out of 8 and now Carolina is in the playoffs.  With that said, if we build off of this season into the next and play like we did in the second half of the season I can see us going 8-8 next year maybe a little better depending on how our draft class develops this year and if we get a new QB next year. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Manziel gets to reunite with Joeckel.

Quote:If we pick Bortles, nobody from the national media will care.

Quote:Yeah, even locally people wouldn't care that much.

Next to Matthews, Bortles might probably be the most indifference-inducing selection we could make at 3. 

I hope we do not take Bortles that high. I don't mind drafting him later, closer to where need & value intersect, but 3 is too high, IMO. 

Bortles is going to shoot up draft boards like Blaine Gabbert did.

I want Manziel

I tell you what.  The only reason I want a player drafted is for maximum media gossip.  I don't want a good player.

Huh

Quote:Bortles is going to shoot up draft boards like Blaine Gabbert did.

I want Manziel

I could see that happening too. Hate the "late riser". Usually prove to be fools gold. 

Quote:No matter who we pick, there are 4 or 5 elite players that will be there when we pick. Bridewater, Clowney, Bortles, Manzeil are all worthy of ESPN. Some have been asking for this for years. It will happen in May.
I do not think that GM Dave Caldwell will draft a QB at #3 overall this year.  If he drafts a QB; Bridgewater, Bortles, Manzeil, or another person at #3 overall and that person turns out to be a bust, his career will be in trouble.  The team won only 2 games more after a 2-14 season caused Gene Smith & Mularkey's dismissal and the new owner is looking for a stronger standing in 2014.  If I was him I would go with the safe bet, normally at LT (whcih could still occur since Luke was injured most of the season), but I expect it'll be with the best pass rusher DE Clowney in the draft.

Quote:Manziel gets to reunite with Joeckel.
Makes sense to me...

In madden 2014 I trade Chad Henne and a draft pick for Patriots Ryan Mallett and start him & develop him into a great QB.  I had to cut Blaine out of lack of interest from other teams.. lol

Quote:And that's what some would call special, including me.

Why get your panties in a wad because someone said we may have something special?
Because he's a miserable human being.... 

Quote:I could see that happening too. Hate the "late riser". Usually prove to be fools gold. 
This morning on the radio they made a great point about Bortles.

His numbers this year were almost exactly the same as last year so why is it that only in the last two months is he shooting up every draft board.

Todd McShay especially was called out for having Bortles as his number #2 QB in this draft. Despite having almost exactly the same numbers as last year Bortles was not on McShay's top 10 Qbs going into this college season but now all of a sudden he is. 

Bortles is Gabbert pt. 2 and I really hope he is not drafted by this franchise.

Quote:Next to Matthews, Bortles might probably be the most indifference-inducing selection we could make at 3. 

I hope we do not take Bortles that high. I don't mind drafting him later, closer to where need & value intersect, but 3 is too high, IMO. 

Just curious, what would you be OK with?  In terms of drafting Bortles.  What selection would make you think it's OK value?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>