Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MJD wants a long-term contract

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013, 04:09 PM by badger.)

He will sign with a contender for not alot of money

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Breaking news about MJD's chances of staying in Jacksonville: David Caldwell said he will let him test the market to see what his value is, then try to match it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...ree-agency

This could be scary. I am surprised because Caldwell always said he will try to keep MJD in Jacksonville, which made me think he will not let him test the market. Maybe it is a strategy to avoid another long holdout.

Quote:Breaking news about MJD's chances of staying in Jacksonville: David Caldwell said he will let him test the market to see what his value is, then try to match it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...ree-agency

This could be scary. I am surprised because Caldwell always said he will try to keep MJD in Jacksonville, which made me think he will not let him test the market. Maybe it is a strategy to avoid another long holdout.

Quote from Petra the reporter, "That doesn't sound like the talk of a GM that plans on bringing back his most proven offensive weapon. Most teams don't allow their best players to hit free agency because that is generally when the price is driven up."

The level of journalism has really dropped.  I have a feeling Petra was under a deadline and really didn't think his thoughts through.  MJD is no longer "the best player" or even a good player based on the last 2 years.  I've said that I believe MJD is going to bounce back big time, but to consider him the best player or one of the best is just not taking into account the previous season and this season.

Caldwell is smart to allow him to test free agency.  It has nothing to do with letting him go.  It has to do with leverage.  The reporter obviously has no idea what he's talking about.  Fortunately, our GM does.

Carlos Hyde in round 3!!!

I'm sure Caldwell has a number that he thinks MJD is worth.

That number is probably much lower than what MJD think he's worth.

See ya MJD.  It was nice while it lasted.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013, 05:18 PM by LMD.)

Quote:Enjoy Oakland bro.

MJD and Rashad Jennings running behind Khalif Barnes and Tony Pashos?

What's Oakland doing out there? Trying to rebuild the 2007 Jags (albeit, with Jennings taking Freddy's place. But, close enough. Just go with it for the sake of the bad joke.) piece-by-piece? :teehee:

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:Quote from Petra the reporter, "That doesn't sound like the talk of a GM that plans on bringing back his most proven offensive weapon. Most teams don't allow their best players to hit free agency because that is generally when the price is driven up."

The level of journalism has really dropped. I have a feeling Petra was under a deadline and really didn't think his thoughts through. MJD is no longer "the best player" or even a good player based on the last 2 years. I've said that I believe MJD is going to bounce back big time, but to consider him the best player or one of the best is just not taking into account the previous season and this season.

Caldwell is smart to allow him to test free agency. It has nothing to do with letting him go. It has to do with leverage. The reporter obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Fortunately, our GM does.

Petra did write about leverage. He wrote Caldwell plans to match whatever other teams offer during negotations with MJD's agent. But I agree that was crappy reporting. I think Caldwell and MJD's agent will try very hard to keep him in Jacksonville because both sides want that.

Quote:Carlos Hyde in round 3!

Are the draft analysts calling him an early Round 3 pick? If he is the best running back not named Tre Mason, I don't see him dropping that far.

Four years 20mil 8mil guaranteed...Arizona  Cardinals, San Diego Super Chargers or the N.Y. Football Giants...book it!

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:Are the draft analysts calling him an early Round 3 pick? If he is the best running back not named Tre Mason, I don't see him dropping that far.
I've seen reports of him falling to round 3, but to be fair, I've also seen reports of Mason falling as low as rounds 2-3. I would take either of them in the 2nd, but I'm all but certain that pick will be used on a QB.

I can dream, can't I?

Quote:Four years 20mil 8mil guaranteed...Arizona  Cardinals, San Diego Super Chargers or the N.Y. Football Giants...book it!

I don't see him getting 4 years. No way. 

Quote:I don't see him getting 4 years. No way. 
Cap goes up next year. He'll get three, four in a bidding war.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:I've seen reports of him falling to round 3, but to be fair, I've also seen reports of Mason falling as low as rounds 2-3. I would take either of them in the 2nd, but I'm all but certain that pick will be used on a QB.

I can dream, can't I?

The only way I see Caldwell picking a running back in May is MJD bolts for a better contract. Jordan Todman is a keeper and we have more urgent needs on offense. But dreaming can't hurt.

Quote:I don't see him getting 4 years. No way. 

No way? According to the article I posted earlier, Reggie Bush got a four-year deal at age 28. I bet somebody would be willing to offer a four-year deal.

Quote:No way? According to the article I posted earlier, Reggie Bush got a four-year deal at age 28. I bet somebody would be willing to offer a four-year deal.

4 years isn't unthinkable, that will put him at 32 at the end of the deal, which btw is the age of McGahee this season for the browns, and he did just fine this year.

Not a top RB mind you, but neither was MJD this year at 28. 4 years at a reasonable amount is very likely.

Adios MJD. We hardly knew ye....

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Adios MJD. We hardly knew ye....

.....& don't let the door hit ye where the good Lord split ye, Laughing 

Quote:Thank you, people act like MJD is suppose to just go in there and ask for less money lol, its called negotiating he is gonna ask for more and they are gonna offer less, then you go from there, just like every player in sports.

THIS

Saw an article about his situation and how other backs his age received long term deals. I think it waa Bush, Gore, and Deangelo Williams. .each received a deal getting around 7mil a year. Article projected he'd receive one for about the same. That won't come from us. Too many injuries. I think he will be disappointed in the FA market for an ageing banged up back.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Just for fun, where do you guys think he will catch on? Oakland maybe? For some reason I think he could land in New England
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."