Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should we extend Cecil Shorts contract in offseason?

Quote:Why extend him this year when we can get one more year on a cheap contract out of him? He hasnt played well enough to hold out, so extend him halfway through the season or even after next year.

This is why I would extend him right now, it's similar to what GM's do in baseball, lock up young ascending players before they start putting up ridiculous numbers. It's a gamble but it's the most cost effective strategy, if you wait, you run into the chance of CSIII having a monster year in 2014 and demanding top 10 WR money because of it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Why extend him this year when we can get one more year on a cheap contract out of him? He hasnt played well enough to hold out, so extend him halfway through the season or even after next year.

It depends on how you feel about him as a player. If you feel like he's going to continue to be a 1K yd, 6-7 TD/ year kind of receiver, it would save us money in the long term. If you aren't as confident in him, yet, waiting would be best.

Quote:This is why I would extend him right now, it's similar to what GM's do in baseball, lock up young ascending players before they start putting up ridiculous numbers. It's a gamble but it's the most cost effective strategy, if you wait, you run into the chance of CSIII having a monster year in 2014 and demanding top 10 WR money because of it.

The team essentially did that with MJD and that didn't really stop him. I do agree with you though.

If we don't were stupid, Ace Sanders and Mike Brown are not outside receivers.. it would be like 2010 again with Thomas and Dillard. 

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:If we don't were stupid, Ace Sanders and Mike Brown are not outside receivers.. it would be like 2010 again with Thomas and Dillard. 

People in this forum tried to argue FOR Mike Thomas as an outside receiver when the Jags were trying to force him into that position that was obviously not a match. 

Small WR's shouldn't be on the outside, period. And please, spare me the Steve Smith anomaly. I don't want to hear it. 

Quote:This team should absolutely extend Cecil; he's a good #2 with solid production in a horrific passing offense. Ideally I'd love to see this team draft or sign a more physically imposing receiver to play on the outside opposite of Justin (if he gets his act together), that would move Cecil to the slot where he would torture opposing defenses with option routes, similar to what the Giants do with Victor Cruz.. CSIII is a young talented player without any significant injury or off the field issues; those are the type of guys you keep.

Agreed completely.

Cecil opposite Blackmon is effective.

Cecil in the slot between Blackmon and a big, physical WR-especially one that can stretch the field-would be lethal with a good QB.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Agreed completely.

Cecil opposite Blackmon is effective.

Cecil in the slot between Blackmon and a big, physical WR-especially one that can stretch the field-would be lethal with a good QB.

I salivate at this thought, if we're drafting towards the back end of the top, let's say 8-10, and if Sammy Watkins is available, David Caldwell well have to take a long hard look at this dynamic receiver out of Clemson. He'll likely be the highest rated receiver since A.J. Green, I believe he's on the same level (as a prospect) as Green, he'd add a dimension to our offense that we haven't had in a long time, a guy that can blow the top off a secondary.

Quote:Nah, the 4th + a 5th is the standard offer that Caldwell accepts. He's like the satirical Mike Brady character in one of the Brady parody movies in the 1990's when every design Mike (architect) was asked to create turned out as the exact same thing, like their house Laughing
Right, because one trade sets the standard.

Quote:Right, because one trade sets the standard.

He still fails to understand how contracts determine trade value. let him be.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 09:24 PM by Dakota.)

I would love to see him stick around. If he doesn't, I won't be heartbroken either. If he wants to break the bank and roll the dice with another team, more power to him. It's his life and financial future. Can't blame anyone for that. If he wants to stick around and help build something here, all the better.

I won't judge either way.

None of us really know how we would react to the temptation of millions of dollars. It has, does, and will cloud a person's judgment. That will never change.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I salivate at this thought, if we're drafting towards the back end of the top, let's say 8-10, and if Sammy Watkins is available, David Caldwell well have to take a long hard look at this dynamic receiver out of Clemson. He'll likely be the highest rated receiver since A.J. Green, I believe he's on the same level (as a prospect) as Green, he'd add a dimension to our offense that we haven't had in a long time, a guy that can blow the top off a secondary.
I wouldn't put him over Blackmon or Jones

I agree with everyone who said to let him play next season before deciding what to do.  There is no reason to rush an extension now. 

Quote:I agree with everyone who said to let him play next season before deciding what to do.  There is no reason to rush an extension now. 
If we do it now, he's not going to be to expensive especially after all the drops he's had as of late.. if we wait and he has a great year we're going to be paying a lot, and we can't afford to let our best player on offense walk. 

Quote:If we do it now, he's not going to be to expensive especially after all the drops he's had as of late.. if we wait and he has a great year we're going to be paying a lot, and we can't afford to let our best player on offense walk. 

Even if he plays great next year and we have to pay him big, he wont walk. We have plenty of cap room. 

Thinking about it, it does kind of make sense to extend him sooner, Because with a real QB, combined with the next step many WRs make in their 3rd year (hes only been starting for a year and a half so far) , he could increase his value by more than 2 million per year. If we were to sign him to a deal now it could save us a good chunk of change over the long run. 

Quote:Even if he plays great next year and we have to pay him big, he wont walk. We have plenty of cap room. 

Thinking about it, it does kind of make sense to extend him sooner, Because with a real QB, combined with the next step many WRs make in their 3rd year (hes only been starting for a year and a half so far) , he could increase his value by more than 2 million per year. If we were to sign him to a deal now it could save us a good chunk of change over the long run. 
The same could conceivably be achieved in late October next year.  He's set to make around 40K per game in 2014 - it's not like he'll be feeling horribly abused financially or anything.  If he comes in and plays up to snuff - they could still shave a bit off his guaranteed money by extending his contract mid-season next year. 

Quote:If we do it now, he's not going to be to expensive especially after all the drops he's had as of late.. if we wait and he has a great year we're going to be paying a lot, and we can't afford to let our best player on offense walk.
What if we extend him and he does nothing?

I'd rather pay a lot for production rather than have a useless player with a modest contract.

I don't care when but I would like to have Shorts on the roster another 4-5years. I think Caldwell will make the correct decision though. I wanted us to keep Cox and look how thy turned out

No.

Signed,

CSIII

Sure why not?

If somebody like Cecil is a "dime a dozen" then why don't we have 12 guys as good as him?