Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cecil Still In Pain, Just Ir Him, Why Not?....

Quote:No, he doesn't have a documented history of any significant repetitive injury.

The Diva is just parroting things he's heard in his personal life.  Suddenly size matters.

Tim,  thanks to you and Roycee for providing an answer to my question.   

If a player had a documented concussion ( s )  prior to coming to the NFL,    I would be concerned about his future.     Lions GM Martin Mayhew made a huge mistake trading up for RB Jahvid Best in the latter part of Round 1 in 2010,   despite Best suffering a concussion late in the 2009 College season.      I never associated Best's size as the cause of his concussions.      Sometimes,  a player takes a direct him that makes the first concussion inevitable.      It's a very unfortunate part of the sport that we get so much enjoyment out of.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:To be on the safe side...for a shoulder injury....that might keep him out for a week or two.  Utterly clueless, or pushing your schtick?  Which is it?

Just like with Boselli, right?....

Thats what can happen when you minimize shoulder injuries and not take them seriously. 

IR Shorts. Its for the best. 

Quote:That doesn't sound like a severe concussion or even a concussion at all.  Usually for concussions there are baseline tests and the player is out a minimum of a week at least. You may be correct, I'm just saying that situation referenced is a lot different than most concussion instances that I have seen over the years. Could they have prematurely labeled Ansah's issue as a concussion?

Ziggy Ansah was out for practice for 10 days and missed the 4th/ final pre-season game.        He clearly suffered a concussion.     The symptoms were problematic to the point that Ansah wasn't even able to attend practice as a spectator for a large part of that time frame.     In Ansah's case and the current concussion case of TE Tony Scheffler,   some of the symptoms didn't even show up until a day or two after the injury occurred.    In the case of Scheffler,   this is his 3rd documented concussion.       

Quote:Tim,  thanks to you and Roycee for providing an answer to my question.   

If a player had a documented concussion ( s )  prior to coming to the NFL,    I would be concerned about his future.     Lions GM Martin Mayhew made a huge mistake trading up for RB Jahvid Best in the latter part of Round 1 in 2010,   despite Best suffering a concussion late in the 2009 College season.      I never associated Best's size as the cause of his concussions.      Sometimes,  a player takes a direct him that makes the first concussion inevitable.      It's a very unfortunate part of the sport that we get so much enjoyment out of.

Best is a perfect example of a tiny player being more injury prone than a bigger player, he just encountered it sooner than Ace. 

Quote:Ziggy Ansah was out for practice for 10 days and missed the 4th/ final pre-season game.        He clearly suffered a concussion.     The symptoms were problematic to the point that Ansah wasn't even able to attend practice as a spectator for a large part of that time frame.     In Ansah's case and the current concussion case of TE Tony Scheffler,   some of the symptoms didn't even show up until a day or two after the injury occurred.    In the case of Scheffler,   this is his 3rd documented concussion.       

Oh, I thought you said he was out for 3 days. I must have mis-read. Sorry, carry on. 

Quote:Best is a perfect example of a tiny player being more injury prone than a bigger player, he just encountered it sooner than Ace. 

The major concussion that Jahvid Best suffered at Cal was on a goalline play.      My guess is the same thing would have happened to a much larger RB if all of the circumstances were equal.

Quote:Best is a perfect example of a tiny player being more injury prone than a bigger player, he just encountered it sooner than Ace. 

Zach Miller 6'4 245

D'Ant Smith 6'2 300

Quote:Oh, I thought you said he was out for 3 days. I must have mis-read. Sorry, carry on. 

No problem at all.     I just wanted to clarify the seriousness of the concussion that Ziggy Ansah suffered.      Considering how well he's played this season,   that concussion is my only current concern moving forward.

Quote:Zach Miller 6'4 245

D'Ant Smith 6'2 300

Dude, no one is saying bigger players don't also sustain injuries. We've already covered this with your last post like the above. :wacko: 

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 04:37 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:No problem at all.     I just wanted to clarify the seriousness of the concussion that Ziggy Ansah suffered.      Considering how well he's played this season,   that concussion is my only current concern moving forward.

And I appreciate the intelligent response. 

Our debates are usually cordial. 

Quote: The major concussion that Jahvid Best suffered at Cal was on a goalline play. My guess is the same thing would have happened to a much larger RB if all of the circumstances were equal.

Yeah I was watching that game when it happened. He fell from a good height, helmets and pads help but falling like that no matter who you are you're more than likely to get injured

Quote:Just like with Boselli, right?....

Thats what can happen when you minimize shoulder injuries and not take them seriously. 

Boselli's shoulder injury is nothing like Cecil's.....Totally different situations.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 04:47 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Boselli's shoulder injury is nothing like Cecil's.....Totally different situations.

You love to throw crap out there hoping it will stick.

Point is Boselli's shoulder injuries were deemed minor......uh that is, until they weren't. 

Theres no reason to rush Shorts back this season, and chance making his problem worse, other than selfish reasons. None. They are 0-6. 

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 05:04 PM by rufftime.)

I don't think that a players chance of concussion relates to their size.  I would be more concerned with bone breaks in a smaller player.

Here is a very cool article that does a good job of explaining what is physically happening during a concussion.

http://theconcussionblog.com/what-is-a-concussion/

Basically the player receives a blow to the head and there is not enough fluid around the brain to absorb the shock, and their brain slams into the inside of their skull.

Edit: Why are people so worried about putting Shorts on IR?  Just more young players getting an opportunity during a lost season.

Ace played 3 years in the SEC with people a whole lot bigger than he was, so I highly doubt that his size now all of the sudden contributed to his concussion. He may be a short guy, but I would hardly classify him as little.

Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 05:07 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I don't think that a players chance of concussion relates to their size.  I would be more concerned with bone breaks in a smaller player.

Here is a very cool article that does a good job of explaining what is physically happening during a concussion.

http://theconcussionblog.com/what-is-a-concussion/

Basically the player receives a blow to the head and there is not enough fluid around the brain to absorb the shock, and their brain slams into the inside of their skull.

I think it can corrolate to size because its the impact of the collision that causes the injury/ concussion. A smaller player is generally going to feel more of an impact from a collision if both players are heading towards each other. 

Also, a player can sustain concussions from hits that are not "directly" to the head, but just severe collisions. Its still a head injury, but it occurs more indirectly than directly in that case. I've seen it with hockey players, too. 

Quote:Just like with Boselli, right?....

Wasent Boselli older when he sustained his injury ? I think age is certainly a factor in some cases.

Why should we be cautious with Shorts? I thought he was no good. Wasn't even suppose to make the roster last year, right?

As far as Ace getting concussion, yeah must be his size, no other possible explanation. It's not like bigger guys like Burton and Mincey would ever get a concussion.

I do think size can make a player more susceptible to injury but I don't think that's a reason to avoid drafting him.

Quote:Point is Boselli's shoulder injuries were deemed minor......uh that is, until they weren't. 

Theres no reason to rush Shorts back this season, and chance making his problem worse, other than selfish reasons. None. They are 0-6. 

Tell us Dr. Diva.  Who "deemed" Boselli's torn labrum as being a minor injury? 

Shorts doesn't have a torn labrum in his shoulder.  That's a significant injury that requires surgery to stabilize the shoulder and prevent further injury because, when the labrum is torn, the shoulder has a tendency to dislocate rather easily.  But, you knew this because you're clearly a medical expert.

Shorts' injury doesn't compare to Boselli's unless you're using it to desperately try to prop up a crumbling agenda.    Would you concur, Dr. Diva?

Quote:I think it can corrolate to size because its the impact of the collision that causes the injury/ concussion. A smaller player is generally going to feel more of an impact from a collision if both players are heading towards each other. 

Also, a player can sustain concussions from hits that are not "directly" to the head, but just severe collisions. Its still a head injury, but it occurs more indirectly than directly in that case. I've seen it with hockey players, too. 
Your a physics expert now too?

Please tell us all about the correlation between the size of a player and the impact of the collision making a smaller player more prone to concussions.  I can hardly wait for your scientific explanation supporting this hypothesis.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]