Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles: The Ultimate Sunk Cost

Quote:Which is usually reflective of coaching. Unless you're in the group that thinks this team is dearth of talent?
After this many games of bad mistakes every week in year four, yes, it is definitely reflective of coaching IMO. 

Just pointing out a little irony there. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Will the real Blake Bortles please stand up.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://youtu.be/MLrFUoeQTMo'>https://youtu.be/MLrFUoeQTMo</a>

Delivery looks way snappier in these highlights.

Can anyone name a QB who had mechanics like Blake and threw the ball as badly as Blake is right now yet still became an above average QB?

Genuine question because I can't actually think of any.

Quote:Can anyone name a QB who had mechanics like Blake and threw the ball as badly as Blake is right now yet still became an above average QB?

If you look at the highlights video, his mechanics look good. look at his feet, his throwing platform, the accuracy and ball placement , couple of those throws are to receivers in stride. He's got a swagger. A complete 180 from this season to last season.

Quote:A sunk cost is basically an investment in something in which the expense has already been paid. Because the expense is paid, the cost is already sunk into the overall equation and should no longer be considered when making future decisions.

Some people refer to this as marriage.

Quote:Can anyone name a QB who had mechanics like Blake and threw the ball as badly as Blake is right now yet still became an above average QB?

That's a self fulfilling prophecy for the most part.

If they did have bad mechanics, they didn't keep those bad mechanics.

If they did have bad mechanics and kept them, the successful ones in modern times have been Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers (who were also top picks.)

Typically you don't get that far with bad mechanics (having your play being able to transcend mechanics.)  Those that do make it made it on more than their mechanics.

It's why there's still hope for Blake.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The perplexing thing is that his mechanics were not this bad last year and were not this bad at UCF.

It's like the dude went to bed one night and prayed to God to make him into the person that he wanted him to be and God turned him into Tim Tebow.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016, 04:49 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Leftwich had bad mechanics and was what I considered to be an average QB.  I'd say that his mechanics kept him from being above average.

That said, Leftwich had a cannon for an arm and didn't throw nearly as many INTs  .... especially pick 6's.   On the other hand, Bortles already has more TDs that Leftwich did as well.

Quote:Will the real Blake Bortles please stand up.

https://youtu.be/MLrFUoeQTMo
A couple things strike me from this cut up.

Our receivers make some unreal plays last year. So many clutch catches.

Blake looked so much more confident last year. He make quick reads and was decisive in his decision. He can get back to that point next year.

Quote:That's a self fulfilling prophecy for the most part.

If they did have bad mechanics, they didn't keep those bad mechanics.

If they did have bad mechanics and kept them, the successful ones in modern times have been Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers (who were also top picks.)

Typically you don't get that far with bad mechanics (having your play being able to transcend mechanics.) Those that do make it made it on more than their mechanics.

It's why there's still hope for Blake.

Philip Rivers and Stafford have/had great arms and can make every throw, even with bad mechanics. Blake can barely throw the ball at the moment.

Quote:If you look at the highlights video, his mechanics look good. look at his feet, his throwing platform, the accuracy and ball placement , couple of those throws are to receivers in stride. He's got a swagger. A complete 180 from this season to last season.

Yeah he could make every throw last year and was confident in his arm to hit anywhere on the field. Complete flip to him now.

Quote:If they did have bad mechanics and kept them, the successful ones in modern times have been Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers (who were also top picks.)
Hate when people try to jump to the Rivers and Stafford bad mechanics argument. Neither of them have bad mechanics, they just have weird arm slots...which I don't think is remotely the same. They still have good footwork, good weight transfers, lightning fast releases, etc. 

Quote:A couple things strike me from this cut up.

Blake looked so much more confident last year. He make quick reads and was decisive in his decision. He can get back to that point next year.
Yikes, highlight video not a cut up. Trust me, if you were looking at cut ups you would see a ton of bad reads and bad decision making inbetween the highlights. Of course a highlight video is going to accentuate the opposite. 

His mechanics are still bad in that video too. Better than they are now obviously, but still bad. 

Quote:A couple things strike me from this cut up.

He was also throwing some tight pretty spirals.

He has it in him. He needs to get paired with an offensive minded, competent head coach, who knows a QB guru or two who wouldn't mind being on the staff as QB coach and/or coordinator. Couple that with a strong off season of fixing footwork and mechanics and he could get back to that level of play.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Yikes, highlight video not a cut up. Trust me, if you were looking at cut ups you would see a ton of bad reads and bad decision making inbetween the highlights. Of course a highlight video is going to accentuate the opposite.

His mechanics are still bad in that video too. Better than they are now obviously, but still bad.
Highlight... cut up. Nitpick whatever you want.

Quote:Highlight... cut up. Nitpick whatever you want.
What? No, they're completely different. Highlights are cherry picking only the best plays. Cut ups are merely cutting out the dead time in between plays to condense a video, but they show every play of the subject including, and maybe especially, the bad plays. They are not highly deceptive like highlights are. 

Quote:His mechanics are still bad in that video too. Better than they are now obviously, but still bad.

I'd describe them as "good enough to succeed" in the video. He's playing and throwing terribly right now, but he also clearly is capable of the basics of playing QB. Like I've said many times, the next coach will get to decide on him. Hopefully Bortles spends more time working on his delivery than at the beach bars this off season.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2016, 09:20 AM by D6.)

Quote:I assume (usually incorrectly) that the 9ers will get Watson.

I think the Broncos, Jets and Cards pursue Romo/Cutler

I think the Bears will be looking at QB in the draft and if the Jets don't get Romo/Cutler they will also be in play, but more likely a Bryce Petty/Hackenberg battle.

Its because of these other QB scenarios that I don't see any of these teams paying big for a Glennon type player.

But I could see a team like the Jags give him a 5mil +starting time benefits in a competition/prove-it deal.

Honestly, for young up and coming promise... Glennon is all there is. Maybe Geno Smith in a different situation.

Otherwise you're looking at washed up/mediocre late 20's early 30s backups.

The Bears and Cardinals both could easily be in the mix for Mike Glennon.    I think Glennon would intrigue Bruce Arians,  because of the QB's potential in the vertical passing game,  

Regarding the Jets,   they would seem to be better off rebuilding,  based on the composition of their roster.   Yet,  owner Woody Johnson doesn't seem like the type of owner who would be comfortable with rebuilding.  

I'm skeptical of Tony Romo,  Jay Cutler,  and Geno Smith as being solutions,  for the short term or the long run.   Yet,  because of demand vs. supply,   there probably will be a significant market for at least a couple of them.    But I don't envision any getting the type of combined contract,  including guaranteed money that Brock Osweiler got from the Texans.

Mike Glennon probably is the best veteran QB likely available QB option for 2017,  with a draft class that at this time doesn't look as promising as many other draft classes at the QB position..    Because the concerns with the other QB options,   I think the Jaguars and/ or any team potentially interested in Glennon are going to have to give him a much better contract than a contract build mostly on incentives.

Quote:I think this is more important than we will ever know.

The answer to this will govern who the next coach will be.

Might scare off the good candidates, which frightens me. Caldwell, if he keeps his job, better be open minded. I bet a lot of coaches in the nfl don't view Bortles as a franchise guy. Bortles' body language this season tells you he's just not the guy.
No commercial messages in sigs

I don't think that the money issue is what would motivate Dave to tie himself to Bortles so much as a matter of pride. That's not a good thing either, but it's what human beings do.