Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles too Toxic to remain on the roster next season?

(11-01-2017, 11:26 AM)newporttom Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. That was the way I understood it too, but my question now is whether they can negotiate the deal.

My understanding is that - since it's part of the new rookie compensation plan in the new CBA - they can't negotiate his deal. Meaning the only way Bortles is a Jag in 2018 is by paying him 19 million.

OR  - is it possible to sign him to a multi-year deal that matches or exceeds that figure over time  - and keep him as the back-up.

(might be the way to go if they plan to draft the QB of the future instead of signing him)

I'm not at all sure that's right.

Neither was I. Which is why I asked two questions in that post (despite forgetting the punctuation. oops)

Anyway  -  I've been informed from an expert who covers the team that the only way to avoid the 19 mil option is to cut him outright  -- and THEN get him to sign a new deal.  They can't move directly from the option to a new deal w/o cutting him first. 

Of course they could plan this with he and his agent before doing it -- but it would clearly allow him to test free agency if he wants.  That doesn't seem like a big deal at the moment -- but if he turns in a few more games like the balt. and indy games, then...  it's a bit of a gamble. 

It will be interesting to see how they handle this in the F.O. if Bortles plays well more than he doesn't from here on out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-01-2017, 12:31 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I want Bortles gone more than I wanted Gabbert gone.

Are you blind? 

Gabbert was pure awful, Bortles is inconsistent but he is tough, works hard, has had great games, had a solid season, those are things Gabbert never done.

Gabbert last year with the Jags he had 1 td and 7 ints, if you wanted to keep that over Bortles, then your hate for him is far beyond football reasons
From a pure QB standpoint, Blake is clearly better than Gabbert. No question.

But wanting Blake out more than Gabbert may be because this team is ready to win now. The defense is SB caliber ready. The Oline is better and our run game is #1. The only thing holding this team back could be Blake. Maybe that's what he meant.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 01:52 PM by Inziladun.)

I really do think this team is a QB away from the superbowl talks. It's exciting and slightly frustrating. Thankfully our Defense is in place for a couple of years so it's not like we won't have a couple of years to have a go at it. I just hope that next year we make a big playoff push because even if we stumble into the playoffs this year this team hasn't shown enough consistency to make me think we'd get very far. Kirk Cousins would be such a huge lift to this team, that's the guy I hope we get, then draft another QB in the draft and hope we land with him.

Kirk Cousins is not worth the contract he is going to demand in FA.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Yeah i dont get the Kirk hype.
No Fun

Trevor Siemian is in the dog house. He's good enough to lead the Jags to the promise land and he's cheap.

(11-01-2017, 02:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Trevor Siemian is in the dog house.  He's good enough to lead the Jags to the promise land and he's cheap.

He's thrown double the number of picks as Bortles in only 20% more attempts.

(11-01-2017, 03:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Trevor Siemian is in the dog house.  He's good enough to lead the Jags to the promise land and he's cheap.

He's thrown double the number of picks as Bortles in only 20% attempts.

He had a good season last year and doing bad this season because Broncos offense is garbage.  Plus he doesn't have the windmill throwing motion and went to Northwestern so he's smarter than Blake and a more eloquent speaker at the podium.   Jaguarswoman can elaborate that he's a future star since she's a Bronco's fan.

Yeah, he's so good he's getting replaced by Osweiler.

Dude. He's terrrrrrrible.

Demaryius and Sanders are better than any WR we have on this team.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM by Upper.)

I think y'all are underestimating how much Bortles would get if we did cut him and try to resign him for less too. I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least something similar to Mike Glennon's 3 yr 45 mil deal. I'd rather keep Blake for 1 year 19 mil than sign him to a longer term deal like that (although I'd rather just cut outright and not resign).

[Image: cf538c211f84e60777be2e390691dde58737d337...jpg?w=1400]

what he has done this season without a receiving te or Arob has been pretty good. I can probably count about a dozen bone headed throws he has made which is about half of his average at this point in the season. I think he is vastly improved from a season ago and maybe even his 2015 campaign even if the numbers are not showing it.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Glennon will be released after this season because Trubisky is now the starter and they are not going to pay Glennon $16 Mill to be a backup. So Glennon wil be out on street again after earning 18 million and would be unbelievably lucky to sign another contract like that.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017, 03:19 AM by JagFanatic24.)

(11-01-2017, 12:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 12:31 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: Are you blind? 

Gabbert was pure awful, Bortles is inconsistent but he is tough, works hard, has had great games, had a solid season, those are things Gabbert never done.

Gabbert last year with the Jags he had 1 td and 7 ints, if you wanted to keep that over Bortles, then your hate for him is far beyond football reasons
From a pure QB standpoint, Blake is clearly better than Gabbert. No question.

But wanting Blake out more than Gabbert may be because this team is ready to win now. The defense is SB caliber ready. The Oline is better and our run game is #1. The only thing holding this team back could be Blake. Maybe that's what he meant.

That is exactly what I meant

Pa-hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 

No way

He is in no way toxic, he just hasn't shown at this point that he can be a franchise QB. This doesn't mean he is the worst ever or that I hate him. It's strictly off of what we have seen from him since 2014. He still has 9 game left in a wide open season and we have one of the easiest upcoming schedules, so it's definitely now or never. He may pull a Flacco and win the Super Bowl and force the teams hand on a long term mega deal.

(11-01-2017, 02:14 PM)Rico Wrote: Kirk Cousins is not worth the contract he is going to demand in FA.

Is Blake worth the contract he will demand if he stays? A starting QB is going to get paid over 20 mill a year. It already looks like we will owe him 19 mill.

(11-02-2017, 01:34 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:14 PM)Rico Wrote: Kirk Cousins is not worth the contract he is going to demand in FA.

Is Blake worth the contract he will demand if he stays? A starting QB is going to get paid over 20 mill a year. It already looks like we will owe him 19 mill.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I referred to Bortles anywhere.  I simply said that Cousins isn't worth the money he is going to command.  And if you think he's only going to get $20 million...I believe you are way off.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017, 02:05 PM by JNev.)

(11-02-2017, 01:28 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: He is in no way toxic, he just hasn't shown at this point that he can be a franchise QB. This doesn't mean he is the worst ever or that I hate him. It's strictly off of what we have seen from him since 2014. He still has 9 game left in a wide open season and we have one of the easiest upcoming schedules, so it's definitely now or never. He may pull a Flacco and win the Super Bowl and force the teams hand on a long term mega deal.

I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017, 02:09 PM by RealJagsFan.)

(11-02-2017, 01:48 PM)Rico Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 01:34 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: Is Blake worth the contract he will demand if he stays? A starting QB is going to get paid over 20 mill a year. It already looks like we will owe him 19 mill.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I referred to Bortles anywhere.  I simply said that Cousins isn't worth the money he is going to command.  And if you think he's only going to get $20 million...I believe you are way off.

No you did not mention Bortles but the thread topic did and Bortles would be the QB that Cousins would be replacing, hence the comparison. That is essentially the question the front office will have to answer no matter who they bring in. Oh and I said "over $20 mill a year".

(11-02-2017, 02:04 PM)JNev Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 01:28 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: He is in no way toxic, he just hasn't shown at this point that he can be a franchise QB. This doesn't mean he is the worst ever or that I hate him. It's strictly off of what we have seen from him since 2014. He still has 9 game left in a wide open season and we have one of the easiest upcoming schedules, so it's definitely now or never. He may pull a Flacco and win the Super Bowl and force the teams hand on a long term mega deal.

I'd be lying if this thought didn't come to my mind as well. I have always said winning that Super Bowl set their franchise back for years. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I'd be really upset if we had to pay Bortles what Flacco got paid. Even if Bortles had an identical post-season to Flacco you can't let 4 games overshadow a whole career of below-averageness. They should've traded Flacco, but the optics on that move is really hard to justify to the fans.

Exactly. The funny thing is, we've been bad so long that I think we may have the same dilemma even if we simply win a playoff game or 2.