Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles - Progress & Inconsistency - Merged Threads

I have been on about Bortles can't take this team to a ship.... but man o man these past 3 games... Yes Bortles can win a superbowl .. yes he can.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2017, 08:44 PM)Takedakai Wrote: Watching Blake's presser, he has a little fire in him after this one.  Hope that carries over.

Maybe he has finally overcome the Gus Bradley curse. He just needs to excise that monkey off his back next Sunday with a thumping of ol Gus's chargers. I knew it was always a mental issue with him, I hope he has turned the corner for real.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Make throws that count and avoid turnovers and we can be tough to stop. The lewis bortles connection for td would of been nice 50/50 blame though and the batted ball almost could of been picked.
No Fun

(11-05-2017, 11:29 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Make throws that count and avoid turnovers and we can be tough to stop. The lewis bortles connection for td would of been nice 50/50 blame though and the batted ball almost could of been picked.

That was a tough throw on Bortles' part though. He had to avoid a sack, then had to try and reset to throw really fast before he got hit again.

Lee had a big drop as well that nobody is mentioning.

I still think we draft a guy, Henne is overpaid and does nothing. He sucks, there needs to be a solid #2 to develop in case Borltes takes a step back or gets hurt. Bortles has played well, he has looked great in some cases during games, BUT he still is in essence a game manager. Lets not go full Garrard again, give the dude a long, big contract and expect a whole different type of player. Restructure him for 2-3 years, draft a QB, and see what happens. He has done really well and glad to see his teammates showing him some love.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 12:03 AM by jaglyn.)

Bortles is quietly starting to shed the "Scrub" label.

I hope he gets better, I've been cheering for him all season. I think his head/mental state is right this year. Confidence in the coaching staff maybe

Its weird though you can tell almost immediately that he will be decent in games his throws look different on these games he plays well he still had wobblers today. Not sure what I'm crazy i guess. Still would like them to draft someone/bring someone in for comp
No Fun

He has confidence. He needed these easy string of games, man. It's going a long way.

We will see. If he continues to develop than maybe deserves to be here next year. If he can stop blaming the home town fans....
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We still haven't won anything of significance. Things have taken a drastic turn for the better in Blake's play from earlier this season but we're game planning around him more. Hopefully we continue to keep a balanced approach when Fournette and Westbrook are in the lineup. Instead of predictably running it 90% of the time. I get that sometimes you have to but we showed today that we can get open and be efficient throwers.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 07:21 AM by The Real Marty.)

(11-05-2017, 11:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 11:29 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Make throws that count and avoid turnovers and we can be tough to stop. The lewis bortles connection for td would of been nice 50/50 blame though and the batted ball almost could of been picked.

That was a tough throw on Bortles' part though. He had to avoid a sack, then had to try and reset to throw really fast before he got hit again.

Lee had a big drop as well that nobody is mentioning.

And, by the time he re-set himself, Lewis had stopped running.  It's that classic, QB thinks the receiver will keep running, receiver thinks he should stop kind of play.

(11-05-2017, 11:49 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I still think we draft a guy, Henne is overpaid and does nothing. He sucks, there needs to be a solid #2 to develop in case Borltes takes a step back or gets hurt. Bortles has played well, he has looked great in some cases during games, BUT he still is in essence a game manager. Lets not go full Garrard again, give the dude a long, big contract and expect a whole different type of player. Restructure him for 2-3 years, draft a QB, and see what happens. He has done really well and glad to see his teammates showing him some love.

Right now, I'm thinking we draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round for development and cut Henne to save cap space.

One difference I noticed was Bortles stepping up in the pocket, rather than retreating out the back as he did in the past. This buys him another half-second or so. He also seems more relaxed. Maybe he finally “gets “ this QB thing. Hope so.
“ I was a male, trapped in a female body........and then I was born. “

That was a mature performance from Blake yesterday, he clearly trusts his o-line now, he’s making smarter decisions with the ball. He’s got some chemistry going with Cole and Lewis (apart from when Lewis stopped running). There was a 3rd and long situation where Blake was being pressured downfield by two Bengals, he got the legs pumping and threw a dart to Lee(?) for a first down. If Rodgers does that we have to see it a million times.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 08:04 AM by The Real Marty.)

Many things can be credited for Bortles' apparent improvement. The defense keeps us in games, so we aren't playing from behind, so Bortles isn't being forced to drop back and pass play after play like in previous years. The running game is keeping the opposing defense honest, so they can't just pin their ears back and rush the passer. And finally, Bortles is not forcing the ball into tight windows. He's throwing it away.

I think 25% of his improved performance is his own improvement, and 75% is simply having better players around him.

Did he ever not get it or was it a result of a bad offense and bad coaching?

The past couple years we had a bad offensive line and a bad running game. Teams were able to scheme for what Bortles did well, take all that away, and it obviously turned out bad. Now because things are a bit more balanced he's able to actually do some things and get some confidence back.

Bradley and Co in the past would continually beat the dead horse in the past and do what wasn't working. A lot of that was in part to the bad running game, but everyone wanted to place all that on Bortles.

(11-05-2017, 07:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Guys. He's making the intermediate throws count and the quick stuff. He's doing a good job. But the deep stuff still isn't there.

He's not winding up as much. We might can hide him another half season.

Sit down. 

As I told you, next year's draft by Coughlin will be ALL OL, WR, and more defense. If they draft a QB, it will be round 5-7.

(11-06-2017, 01:01 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 07:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Guys. He's making the intermediate throws count and the quick stuff. He's doing a good job. But the deep stuff still isn't there.

He's not winding up as much. We might can hide him another half season.

Sit down. 

As I told you, next year's draft by Coughlin will be ALL OL, WR, and more defense. If they draft a QB, it will be round 5-7.

You're high

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM by spacecoastjag.)

(11-05-2017, 11:49 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I still think we draft a guy, Henne is overpaid and does nothing. He sucks, there needs to be a solid #2 to develop in case Borltes takes a step back or gets hurt. Bortles has played well, he has looked great in some cases during games, BUT he still is in essence a game manager. Lets not go full Garrard again, give the dude a long, big contract and expect a whole different type of player. Restructure him for 2-3 years, draft a QB, and see what happens. He has done really well and glad to see his teammates showing him some love.

Clearly you don't know Tom Coughlin.

This draft--- both lines will be addressed and WR

(11-06-2017, 01:15 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:01 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:  Sit down. 

You're high

Guess who's been right all along?! Not you!  Laughing

PSA:

Please don't be goaded into indulging the troll.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

He was very impressive yesterday. His best performance as a Jaguar in my opinion.  

Hackett called a masterful game and Bortles executed it to near perfection. He's playing confident, trusting his arm and staying relatively calm. That's Blake at his best. When that confidence goes everything goes out the window.  

So happy to see him doing well after all the [BLEEP] he's been through , particularly this offseason, but I'm still pretty set on who he is as a QB. Perhaps an electric last stretch will change my mind. Either way I think you attack the QB spot next year.